• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
Could this (assuming it's correct) be a way of speeding up crew familiarisation and getting the sets "broken in" before unleashing them on the busier Thames Valley stretch?
Yes I believe it is to to do with crew training. It would only be a temporary measure, more temporary than other temporary measures.

spark001uk

Established Member
Hearing the short set is off the road for some wheel lathe attention currently?

iantherev

By all accounts it’s back off again as the rest of the diagram is reduced to 2 cars. Looks like a 150 to Penzance for me tomorrow.

spark001uk

Established Member
I took 2C45 to Plymouth this morning and whilst at Plymouth the doors kept locking and unlocking for some reason.

embers25

Established Member
Is the HST GTi out to play today as journey check hasn't got anything saying it isn't?

83G/84D

Established Member
Anyone have any information on the second set? It’s all gone rather quiet on when it will appear although I heard it was going to be in September.

83G/84D

Established Member
Power car 43194 has been taken off the short set at Long Rock and replaced by 43198 following its windscreen replacement.

Rail Blues

I'm still not sold on the idea of the HSTs limping on into their 5th decade, but if this is going to be the case, I think GWR have missed a trick by not branding them as HST GTis. HSTs are probably one of the few trains the public could identify and most will know a GTi is a faster more powerful, better accelerating model of a car, they could market the 'new' trains as a 'modern classic reborn' along the lines of a Peugeot 205 GTi.

They could even get a few suitably lairy graphics and some slick marketing may well drive up custom.

Instead they've been labelled 'Castles' which no one bar train wonks and people over 80 will know or care about.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Instead they've been labelled 'Castles' which no one bar train wonks and people over 80 will know or care about.

Bearing in mind the Cl 57s are also named after castles, I like to think of it as a generic term for the oldest motive power still running, just as castles are some of the oldest buildings still standing. :D

Goldfish62

Established Member
Agreed. It's a ridiculous name. They really need something to signify what they are, which is a regional express, not yet again harking back to the "glory days".

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm still not sold on the idea of the HSTs limping on into their 5th decade, but if this is going to be the case, I think GWR have missed a trick by not branding them as HST GTis. HSTs are probably one of the few trains the public could identify and most will know a GTi is a faster more powerful, better accelerating model of a car, they could market the 'new' trains as a 'modern classic reborn' along the lines of a Peugeot 205 GTi.

They could even get a few suitably lairy graphics and some slick marketing may well drive up custom.

The after-market bodykits would probably take them out of gauge though... ;)

Jonny

Established Member
Bearing in mind the Cl 57s are also named after castles, I like to think of it as a generic term for the oldest motive power still running, just as castles are some of the oldest buildings still standing. :D

Also, Castles are strong and solid... like the HSTs.

bnm

Established Member

"GTi" is an automotive designation. It has zero relevance to rail vehicles.

Just another euthusiast derived nickname. Best leave it as that.

Last edited:

Rail Blues

Also, Castles are strong and solid... like the HSTs.

Or relics from another era, in an advanced state of disintegration.

The after-market bodykits would probably take them out of gauge though..

Maybe, but you could get a massive amp and some bass bins in the power cars.

GTi" is an automotive designation. It has zero relevance to rail vehicles.

Just another euthusiast derived nickname. Nest leave it as that.

But for once the enthuisast nickname isn't hideously convulted or in-jokey and would IMO actually be a good way of marketing these shortened sets to the public as something fast and exciting.

Last time I checked fortified medieval buildings had no relation to railways either.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
<snip>
Maybe, but you could get a massive amp and some bass bins in the power cars.
<snip>
I was going to post the Class 37 "GTi" that was a joke entry on the "Fictitious Liveries" website, but unfortunately that site is no longer up. Might be available in an archive somewhere for those better at google-fu than I...

In fact it's probably posted in an old thread on here.

superalbs

Established Member
I was going to post the Class 37 "GTi" that was a joke entry on the "Fictitious Liveries" website, but unfortunately that site is no longer up. Might be available in an archive somewhere for those better at google-fu than I...

In fact it's probably posted in an old thread on here.
Found it. :)

Here you go:http://web.archive.org/web/20170604051932/http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk:80/
http://web.archive.org/web/20170604051932/http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk:80/

And the photo you were referencing:
http://web.archive.org/web/20161022...ousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?37999_bodykit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.