• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaytrains

i think for those of us in talent pools its important to remain positive but also to not put your life on hold. With GWR you have 5 years in the pool which is a very long time most people have said 1 year in the pool so far so you still have 4 years to get that call! its a long time be positive sit back relax and hope for the best.

you will always get people speculating internal and external for good and bad i wouldn't read to much into it and certainly don't let it dash your hopes.
you will find in this industry everyone knows someone that said something......... or told them this or that.

Stay positive if you don't believe or hope what's the point in anything.

PS no dig to anyone specifically its just the way it is.

Well spoken jacey

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EmmD

I’ve been in the pool for BTM since September 2019. To be honest I don’t expect to hear anything in the near future.

Nonuts

i think for those of us in talent pools its important to remain positive but also to not put your life on hold. With GWR you have 5 years in the pool which is a very long time most people have said 1 year in the pool so far so you still have 4 years to get that call! its a long time be positive sit back relax and hope for the best.

you will always get people speculating internal and external for good and bad i wouldn't read to much into it and certainly don't let it dash your hopes.
you will find in this industry everyone knows someone that said something......... or told them this or that.

Stay positive if you don't believe or hope what's the point in anything.

PS no dig to anyone specifically its just the way it is.
When I applied I asked a mate at GWR what the likelihood was that I'd actually be rescued from drowning in a talent pool if I was successful in receiving some speedos to dive into it. He told me my depot had, at most, two future positions. 3 days in the pool and he, his mate, myself an ex bus drivers mate of mine and an ex catering trolley fella all had training start dates. 3 qualified were also taken on around the time. My depot is also preparing for preliminary interviews for a new talent pool to see who goes forward to the psychometric stage and we're told 6-8 new trainees in the next two years.

It's very uncertain times with the GB Railways (or whatever the gov are calling it) approaching but all I think anyone can do is trust in yourself that you've done well in the tests and interviews, given a great account of yourself, and therefore, could have a good enough score that when anyone is rescued from the pool ( being the railway, it's Baywatch style where everything slows down at the rescue stage) there's a good chance it's you

Last edited:
While I think its important to be realistic about the potential time you might spend in a talent pool, it doesn't mean you can't remain positive. There have been few people on here that have started or are about to start a course. I'm due to start on the 4th Jan after being in the pool so it can happen. As has been said, don't put your life on hold but don't give up.

irish_rail

Established Member
Yeah don't give up. I can't talk for Bristol, but down here in Plymouth there's constant retirements etc at the minute and plenty of vacancies , a big conveyor belt of trainees now turning again as training has resumed.
The requirement for train drivers isn't suddenly going to diminish. GwR won't be massively effected by any service cuts, even closer to London any services cut will have negligible effects on future trainee numbers due to the large proportion of drivers retiring.
So don't give up hope and like others have said, don't put your life on hold as it may still take a year or two!

jacey

Thanks all for some positive replies i think those of us in talent pools need that positivity and some great stories. lets keep positive all but be patient. i remain hopeful of achieving my dream.

G30RG3

Some earlier comments that could evoke negativity have brought some really positive posts and added a lot of hope for the future. Thanks to everyone including Jacey for keeping our chins up in the process. Its a long wait but from the start it has always been sold as no guarantees. Getting yourself into a talent pool is an achievement in itself, and hopefully for the majority of us at this stage leaves nothing to loose! Best of luck

Last edited:

Goingloco

Talent Pools are frustrating and with the added uncertainty caused by Covid I can image how it feels.

Unsure if helpful but I was in a GWR pool waiting for over a year and decided to hedge my bets by applying to WMT and getting placed into their Talent Pool. I'm now training with WMT (or stood down at the mo), but if I'd have waited for GWR my OPC tests would have lapsed and I'd have slipped down the snake.

If you can get yourself into other Talent Pools it can only be beneficial I believe.

Best of luck to all those waiting.

T-Karmel

Just yesterday GWR advertised internally for a Trainee Depot Driver (Talent Pool) in Bristol Temple Meads. Hopefully that's a good sign for those of you waiting in pools that some movement is happening.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Talent Pools are frustrating and with the added uncertainty caused by Covid I can image how it feels.

Unsure if helpful but I was in a GWR pool waiting for over a year and decided to hedge my bets by applying to WMT and getting placed into their Talent Pool. I'm now training with WMT (or stood down at the mo), but if I'd have waited for GWR my OPC tests would have lapsed and I'd have slipped down the snake.

If you can get yourself into other Talent Pools it can only be beneficial I believe.

Best of luck to all those waiting.

Talent Pools ultimately are a very strong idea - interview 10 people for 5 positions with more to follow and slowly cascade people in without the need to keep attempting to recruit / interview etc.

However they’re not often administered well, nor in a timely manner or consistently.

It wouldn’t surprise me if multiple adverts were being managed separately with no joined up approach to what should be one giant ‘pot’ of people on a set waiting list and a known queue.

DogDays

I've seen a lot of posts on here regarding BTM, Plymouth etc and I know Oxford have recently plucked a few lucky individuals from the pool due to expansion, but does anybody have any insider knowledge or heard any rumours about Gloucester? I've been treading water in the pool since 2019 so my legs are getting a little tired - any news, good or bad would be helpful at this stage

Kayle

To be honest its actually quite depressing to hear there are people waiting for years. From what Ive grasped smaller depots are the ones that actually get this insanely long waiting times? Does anyone have any intel about training in big depots like Reading?

C00k1e

Talent pools are not a very fair system. They work on a points basis, so the more points you achieve in assessments, dmi’s and mmi’s the higher in the pool you are placed. Once a position becomes vacant and the highest placed people leave the pool more people arrive and are placed according to score, therefore, potentially being placed high in the pool and above others already there. This is why some people are in pools for years and some for a relatively short period. Add on to that what Horizon22 said about poor administration and you can see why they are not a great idea for candidates hence the reason that not all TOC’s utilise them. Some TOC’s treat candidates a bit more fairly and employ on a first come first serve basis once passed dmi’s, mmi’s etc and according to depot priorities.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
This.

And, he said, in his exact words "there's no way that everyone currently in a pool will get a job"
I don’t think many are under the illusion that being in a pool means they’ll definitely get a position. It’s clear wherever you look in posts at this forum that a talent pool doesn’t equate to a definite job, not just for GWR, but across the board.

Floo1977

We started training two weeks ago, there's eight of us on our course. Classroom size appears to be the main limitation, as all the tables have to be suitably spaced. On the occasions GWR are arranging taxis for us, it's one taxi per candidate, we're not allowed to share due to Covid. Think things will be very slow-moving for the forseeable from what we've all been told :(
Are you at Reading academy?

Nonuts

Thought I'd put a little update on here that may give an indication of where things are. This only counts what I know about certain training groups. My group (90) 2/12 have 250+ hours driving, sim assessment booked and hopefully pass out by years end, 10/12 are doing traction and will start handling hours in the next 3-5 weeks. We all started, what should be a 14-16 week course before starting handling' in Feb '20. The 4 I know from group 86 are waiting on pass out week. I think the course just starting when I last had assessments (interim 3) were group 95 or 96. In that groups 90 and 91 were the groups that were doing rules when the covid pause came into play, the backlog should (not definitely) be getting to be caught up. There are of course qualified drivers who have sim assessments due, traction conversion courses and up-skill to do still. However, it's more rosey now by a mile than it was.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
GWR have also hired a lot of DIs recently, so this backlog should slowly (but surely!) start to unclog as we move into the New Year.

Cowcow15

Thanks for the update nonuts! Its great to hear things are moving along. I am very grateful for you taking the time to provide those of us waiting with an update!

jacey

Yeah this is Positive news thank you for the update ,us talent pool sitters love some good news to give us hope.

crwl

They are adding to the pool too. Assessment centres in November and December.
I assume that this would be for a different recruitment campaign and therefore different pool to the one most on here are commenting about?

I'd guess that they'd also "join the queue" behind those currently waiting, regardless of score?

T-Karmel

I assume that this would be for a different recruitment campaign and therefore different pool to the one most on here are commenting about?

I'd guess that they'd also "join the queue" behind those currently waiting, regardless of score?
You might be in a newer TP yet still get job offered before people from previous pools just because you scored higher.

I think which TP you're in only matters in terms of when they'll terminate your pool rather than how quick they offer you a job.

crwl

You might be in a newer TP yet still get job offered before people from previous pools just because you scored higher.

I think which TP you're in only matters in terms of when they'll terminate your pool rather than how quick they offer you a job.
There would surely be little chance of external candidates getting an offer, particularly at smaller depots then, no?

To be fair I’ve read contrasting things on here regarding whether there is an “internal first” policy at GWR. For argument’s sake, if internal candidates do get offered positions before external candidates, somebody external could apply in 2018, be put in a pool, and then someone who applied in 2023 would potentially bypass them in the list?

I’m external myself so I don’t know for sure, but I was under the impression that they would take candidates from a 2019/20 talent pool before moving on to anybody from 2021/22 for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.