• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

G30RG3

Dials and gauges is a different test that all TOCs/FOCs do (there may be an enhanced pass mark for the companies who use this level though). GWR don’t do the DFFT as their assessments are to the national standard.
Ah I see thanks for clarifying. Handy to know for future reference

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jacey

I passed to enhanced standard with Freightliner and had to take the Group Bourdon and DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test) with them. I had passed the GB test with SWT previously but not to a high enough level for Freightliner presumably. The DFFT was straight forward to an extent, but can take some getting used to. I was surprised I passed as I only completed 8.5 of the questions (though confident they were all correct).

Also, TOCs/FOCs who use the enhanced testing also have you sit the VSE etc at home.

I’d certainly not recommend anyone removing themselves from a pool, but sometimes a few risks are required to get your foot in the door.
I have passed the DFFT with GTR and just taken the VSE at home. Does this mean i would not need to take anymore tests ? for enhanced scoring.

Jaytrains

Once you pass the vse at home they will make u take it again in person at the opc just to prove that it was u that took the vse

T-Karmel

There's a course starting in February for Reading depot. GWR is calling up people for that course right now. Good luck to everyone.

Danetime

So thought I'll give a quick update! Received my call today for the February 2022 intake from the Exeter St Davids 2019/2020 pool. Looks like phone calls are going out so make sure your phones are on loud and pick those calls up from unrecognized numbers!

Anyone else received the call for February 2022 Exeter? Hoping to find a few people before it starts (medical pending).

Jaytrains

So thought I'll give a quick update! Received my call today for the February 2022 intake from the Exeter St Davids 2019/2020 pool. Looks like phone calls are going out so make sure your phones are on loud and pick those calls up from unrecognized numbers!

Anyone else received the call for February 2022 Exeter? Hoping to find a few people before it starts (medical pending).

Congratulations, looks like things will start moving in 2022, did u get a medical date aswell?

Cowcow15

Amazing news! Congrats!

Im in the 20/21 pool for exeter so think it will be a bit of a longer wait for me danetime!

Please do keep us updated with how you get on!

Danetime

Congratulations!
Thanks!
Amazing news! Congrats!

Im in the 20/21 pool for exeter so think it will be a bit of a longer wait for me danetime!

Please do keep us updated with how you get on!
I will do! Hopefully, that phone call is just around the corner for you!

Congratulations, looks like things will start moving in 2022, did u get a medical date aswell?
Yea got a medical! 30th November 19 days to improve the body :D

dabollicks

Sorry to bring things down in this thread, but I emailed recruitment last night to check the status of my application. This morning I received a call from recruitment thanking me for my application and that they are now rejecting it as they are not planning any recruitment in the south west for at least 2 years. The internal transfer list for the south west is massive. So if like me your waiting for a DMI for a southwest depot then I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

2 years ago I passed assessments and MMI and now had the plug pulled! Gutted is an understatement!

Congrats to those in pools and moving forward

Last edited:

jacey

Sorry to bring things down in this thread, but I emailed recruitment last night to check the status of my application. This morning I received a call from recruitment thanking me for my application and that they are now rejecting it as they are not planning any recruitment in the south west for at least 2 years. The internal transfer list for the south west is massive. So if like me your waiting for a DMI for a southwest depot then I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

2 years ago I passed assessments and DMI and now had the plug pulled! Gutted is an understatement!

Sorry to hear that mate that is gutting.

it's strange they would tell you that yet also have planned courses in February 2022 for the South West i wonder if they mean they will not be further recruiting for two years with full talent pools.

WishIHadAName

2 years ago I passed assessments and DMI and now had the plug pulled! Gutted is an understatement!

Congrats to those in pools and moving forwardpre

Presume this will take away hopes for people waiting for qualified vacancies :/

dabollicks

Just had the final nail in the coffin
Unfortunately this vacancy has now been either closed or filled and so we are unable to progress your application any further on this occasion. We'd be delighted however, if you would like to consider other opportunities within Great Western Railway.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Sorry to hear that mate that is gutting.

it's strange they would tell you that yet also have planned courses in February 2022 for the South West i wonder if they mean they will not be further recruiting for two years with full talent pools.

There's a lot of people from East depots (Paddington / Reading) eager to go further West and it's also popular with qualifieds from around the country.

dabollicks

There's a lot of people from East depots (Paddington / Reading) eager to go further West and it's also popular with qualifieds from around the country.
Basically what I got told on the phone. Was then asked if I fancied moving east

jacey

This doesn't bode well for us in the Plymouth and Exeter pools but things change and we have the depot driver options also i guess and recruitment did state courses planned through out 2022 for depot driver roles. i can't imagine many qualified drivers would like to go from mainline to depot driver for relocation.

jacey

I've been in the Plymouth pool since march 2020, not heard anything from them
you didn't get the email about the depot driver stuff they sent in April 2021 ?

Basically said no recruitment planned for mainline over next couple years but depot driver courses planned through out if you fancy being in both pools.
they said you will remain in mainline pool and also depot driver pool and they will be in touch as and when.

Last edited:

irish_rail

Established Member
you didn't get the email about the depot driver stuff they sent in April 2021 ?

Basically said no recruitment planned for mainline over next couple years but depot driver courses planned through out if you fancy being in both pools.
they said you will remain in mainline pool and also depot driver pool and they will be in touch as and when.
All new trainees to Plymouth will be depot drivers, as that's where the need is. After 2 years you can apply to go mainline. I know some got lucky and went straight to mainline but as I understand it that won't happen now.

Lankywhale

No I didnt receive that email. I messaged recruitment last night and got this response this morning "
We will provide you with an update as soon as we have a vacant position/course. Quite often we have candidates in a talent pool for quite a while"

Mr Oli

Basically what I got told on the phone. Was then asked if I fancied moving east
That may indicate they are open to possible trainees relocating to Reading/ Paddington then?

No I didnt receive that email. I messaged recruitment last night and got this response this morning "
We will provide you with an update as soon as we have a vacant position/course. Quite often we have candidates in a talent pool for quite a while"
Which email addresses are you contacting? I've sent about 3 emails over the last few months with no response...

[email protected]

[email protected]

Thanks.

jacey

That's strange i know a few others in the pool did get the email. people posted on here at the time about it.

either way looks like the waiting game will continue for us all! lets cross our fingers for 2022.

G30RG3

Congratulations, great news! & all the best for training start dates..!

Baqanz

After some contact with GWR it seems that the qualified talent pools are still open and are yet to suffer the cull the trainee pools have seen.

So thats something I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.