• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Trainee Train Driver (Talent Pool) - Bristol/Westbury (27/02/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deea

I have also been waiting over 3 years in a talent pool with GWR with little recruitment planned last i heard, however i have used the assessment passes from the application in 2019 to secure another Train driver job so for sure while sat in a Talent pool get active with those passes.
So then why are they taking new people on when they already have an established talent pool?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deea

Anyone who applied heard anything back? I applied on the 28th of feb and haven’t received any info yet.

MrPointment

Anyone who applied heard anything back? I applied on the 28th of feb and haven’t received any info yet.
Not yet. Mind you I only did the error checking assessment on the 8th of March. If you did yours on the 28th of February and not heard anything more, I'm guessing they're waiting until applications close on the 26th before they take their pick of all the applications to take to interview stage.

Deea

Not yet. Mind you I only did the error checking assessment on the 8th of March. If you did yours on the 28th of February and not heard anything more, I'm guessing they're waiting until applications close on the 26th before they take their pick of all the applications to take to interview stage.
Thanks for your reply. I’m sure if I somehow failed their tests they would let me know right? I logged in to my application and it’s still active so I’m keeping my hopes high. Never been more exited about a job than this one

Haru

No news is good news, I know some who have been rejected after SJT so sit tight.

When I applied in early 2019, I don’t think I heard anything for 4/5 months.

MrPointment

One thing I'm curious about though. I saw on a thread on here. It seems that Avanti were recruiting for trainee train drivers recently up North at several depots. Reports are that those adverts were taken down fairly quickly due to huge numbers of applications. Avanti is also owned by First Group, same as GWR. Surprised the GWR one has been active as long as it has. Are they just not getting swamped with applications, or do they just not close applications regardless of how many thousands they may get?

TheAnswer89

One thing I'm curious about though. I saw on a thread on here. It seems that Avanti were recruiting for trainee train drivers recently up North at several depots. Reports are that those adverts were taken down fairly quickly due to huge numbers of applications. Avanti is also owned by First Group, same as GWR. Surprised the GWR one has been active as long as it has. Are they just not getting swamped with applications, or do they just not close applications regardless of how many thousands they may get?

Avant has its own application system with CBI instead of MMI and application is not handled by firstgroup careers. They are swarmed with application like any other TOC/FOC that open the doors for trainees. Allegedly its 8000+ application per spot on a training course. Madness.

MrPointment

8000+ per spot?! That's crazy. Just this morning I received an update from GWR saying my application is now with the hiring manager to decide if I get shortlisted for interview. I suppose, if applications are being received in those kind of numbers, I should be pleased that my application has even made it as far as the hiring manager's desk.

BoTheRigger

3 years and a half? Omg that is a lot. Is this very likely to happen? Here I am putting all my hopes and dream onto this
It is a long time to wait but I have also applied for other TOC's when they pop up and are geographically viable. Was even invited for an interview and sent for a medical with a freight company for a role based nearly three hours away! In two more talent pools with them now and applying for another trainee course with another passenger TOC.

Keep going with it, is my mentality. Once you've shown one TOC you are a good candidate, the others can see this. The differences in the process can be frustrating but I'm guessing they are there to keep the competition at a healthy level but also to limit the vast number of applications they must receive. I've got till next summer until my psychometrics expire, so fingers crossed. There's always hope!

jezzer34

So then why are they taking new people on when they already have an established talent pool?
Yeah different depot m8, going through the assessments and getting into a talent pool is a huge step forward to becoming a train driver either through that pool or for future applications.
Best of luck if you prepare properly you should be fine.

TheAnswer89

Or they simply dont like people they have in talent pools. Its been mentioned multiple times on this forum that being in talent pool does not guarantee anything whatsover. Some people sit in TP for years and some will get the job within weeks of applying.

Jen131

H, iv received an email today to advise my application is under review too. This page has been really helpful. Good luck everyone

MrPointment

It seems to me that everyone who did well enough on the error checking has been passed on to the hiring manager. Now it's down to our work history and such to earn a face to face I guess

LKS

I failed assessment centre 10+ years ago, applied again this time, done the two online tests and now at the paper shift...

Last shot at it then it's all over for me.

Good luck everyone :)

MrPointment

Been led to believe that no news is good news when waiting to find out if you progress. As in if you haven't received an email knocking you back then you're still in the running. Read somewhere on here that GWR are pretty good at letting you know if you're no longer in the race.

mattymat

It seems to me that everyone who did well enough on the error checking has been passed on to the hiring manager. Now it's down to our work history and such to earn a face to face I guess
I asked about this specifically to a recruiter via a chat. I asked “What about my work history and stuff? Is that not as relevant ?”
And he replied “Correct, if you pass all stages then a role is offered. Your work history and things of this nature are reviewed during the application phase when you provide your CV on your application, and you can use your work history to provide answers during interview questions if you reach this stage of the process”. Don’t know how much of an impact it will make

MrPointment

I asked about this specifically to a recruiter via a chat. I asked “What about my work history and stuff? Is that not as relevant ?”
And he replied “Correct, if you pass all stages then a role is offered. Your work history and things of this nature are reviewed during the application phase when you provide your CV on your application, and you can use your work history to provide answers during interview questions if you reach this stage of the process”. Don’t know how much of an impact it will make
I know it probably isn't the final say in whether you're ultimately successful. My thinking is, now they have a list of all the people who passed the error checking test, and that could well be hundreds. So surely it must be your work history and stuff on your CV that they use to whittle down to the amount they can realistically bother with face to face or send to an assessment centre. I mean, I may be wrong, maybe only a few dozen made it this far, but I'd be surprised if that's the case.

mattymat

I know it probably isn't the final say in whether you're ultimately successful. My thinking is, now they have a list of all the people who passed the error checking test, and that could well be hundreds. So surely it must be your work history and stuff on your CV that they use to whittle down to the amount they can realistically bother with face to face or send to an assessment centre. I mean, I may be wrong, maybe only a few dozen made it this far, but I'd be surprised if that's the case.
What work history do you think they want? I had gaps in my employment for the specified period due to education. I think it would be unfair if that counted against me.

MrPointment

What work history do you think they want? I had gaps in my employment for the specified period due to education. I think it would be unfair if that counted against me.
I don't think they necessarily want anything specific. But I would've thought they have to find some way to pick who they invite to assessment/interview and who they don't, they can't interview/assess hundreds if there's still hundreds at this stage. I don't see how else they would pick besides a CV review, unless they're just going to grab say any 50 applications out of the pile randomly to proceed with and bin off the rest.

Deea

I don't think they necessarily want anything specific. But I would've thought they have to find some way to pick who they invite to assessment/interview and who they don't, they can't interview/assess hundreds if there's still hundreds at this stage. I don't see how else they would pick besides a CV review, unless they're just going to grab say any 50 applications out of the pile randomly to proceed with and bin off the rest.
I think they select people based on how good they did at the error checking test. Some people score more and faster some are slower . That’s my guess

Stigy

Established Member
I think they select people based on how good they did at the error checking test. Some people score more and faster some are slower . That’s my guess
That’s correct. Assuming FirstGroup use the same method for GWR as they do for SWR, the initial sifting consists of whittling down the scores in the initial online assessments so only the higher scorers are progressed to the next stage. This is done by recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.