• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR - Trainee Train Driver (Talent Pool) - Bristol/Westbury (27/02/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LKS

Just got the unsuccessful email from GWR. No reason given. At least the wait for news is over. Fortunately still in the running for Freightliner, so can focus on that.

Sorry to hear this :(

Good luck with the future (Freightliner) if you're still in with a chance or other opportunities that arise :)

LKS

Thanks. Best of luck to you and anyone else still in the game

Thank you. It's daunting times just waiting. I'm assuming they are going through applications currently, so may hear soon either way. Not sure if it works in an alphabetical order?

J3053B

Thank you. It's daunting times just waiting. I'm assuming they are going through applications currently, so may hear soon either way. Not sure if it works in an alphabetical order?
for some perspective I applied internally at the end of nov, and I'm still waiting to hear (didn't get rejected) although I know a lot of people that did. So I'm currently at 5+ months of waiting.

BA11Eagle

I applied on the 7th of March and I haven't heard anything yet, but unfortunately it sounds as if people are getting rejected from around that same application date.

TheGoldfish

Hi all, just wanted to ask do GWR accept relocation for trainee train driver roles at all?

Thanks.
Several at the time of my training were staying at premier inn in Reading during rules as they lived far and wide … when you get yr trainee contract it has a clause which states you must relocate before handling commences ...I’d say just be up front about your circumstances and how you plan to manage it from the outset…

samdj

Has anyone heard anything further for this role? My last contact was application still under review. I know that no news is good news but this has been a while - even with updates on this thread!

BA11Eagle

Has anyone heard anything further for this role? My last contact was application still under review. I know that no news is good news but this has been a while - even with updates on this thread!
Nope nothing, as you said, no news is good news.

I think everyone here as got bored of talking about it just yet until there is some movement, wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve sneaked a few internals in before us!

J3053B

Nope nothing, as you said, no news is good news.

I think everyone here as got bored of talking about it just yet until there is some movement, wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve sneaked a few internals in before us!
Technically internal but different first group TOC. Applied in November - got application under review in March. Just sit tight this is the railway:D

Mabs

I got an email today and I accepted the interview in a few weeks time. If I get the position il have to relocate from West London to near Bristol.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Good luck, Bristol management are VERY twitchy over relocation. Two relatively recent examples who said they would, then didn't and lied about it, then subsequently transferred "home" have soured the pot for anyone else trying.

Mabs

Good luck, Bristol management are VERY twitchy over relocation. Two relatively recent examples who said they would, then didn't and lied about it, then subsequently transferred "home" have soured the pot for anyone else trying.
That is true. I didn't pass the Reading DMI over a year ago then I applied for whatever was available. And now I got the email. I'm not sure what to do now then. I've accepted the interview date online.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
That is true. I didn't pass the Reading DMI over a year ago then I applied for whatever was available. And now I got the email. I'm not sure what to do now then. I've accepted the interview date online.
Definitely still go. But you're going to have to be prepared with evidence you're actively looking at relocation, and if they offer you the role, they'll give you a deadline by which you will have to have relocated and have evidence of it, or they'll let you go.

Mabs

Definitely still go. But you're going to have to be prepared with evidence you're actively looking at relocation, and if they offer you the role, they'll give you a deadline by which you will have to have relocated and have evidence of it, or they'll let you go.
How about if I book a hotel four days a week to do the course. Once that's completed I will start looking to buy a house. Would they accept that?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
How about if I book a hotel four days a week to do the course. Once that's completed I will start looking to buy a house. Would they accept that?
No.

They will want you relocated, at the absolute latest, by the time you begin your handling about 3-4months in. If your answer is "I will stay in a hotel during the course" they will take that as you not being serious about relocation.

Mabs

No.

They will want you relocated, at the absolute latest, by the time you begin your handling about 3-4months in. If your answer is "I will stay in a hotel during the course" they will take that as you not being serious about

Il have to wait and see but doesn't look good at the moment. Interest rates are very high aswell.

Il go to the interview and see what happens but I don't think il do well.

Sly Old Fox

Il have to wait and see but doesn't look good at the moment. Interest rates are very high aswell.

Il go to the interview and see what happens but I don't think il do well.

Just go and see how it goes. You never know your luck. Some people here are quite negative.

Mabs

Just go and see how it goes. You never know your luck. Some people here are quite negative.
I had a look, Renting a single room in Bristol town centre would cost around £500 a month including all bills.

I could get a room for 2 years then buy a house around Reading area.

I wanted to send my son to Reading school as its a top 10 school in the UK. The school has a catchment area so need to live within the area. I will mention it and see if they'll accept Reading area.

Or if they like me and want to put me in for Reading Depot then I don't mind either.

I applied for Reading and Bristol but they rejected my Reading application and kept the Bristol application open even though the Reading Depot is closer to where I live.

I will just tell them the situation and see what they say.

Haru

Reading will be too far for bristol, renting a room in bristol is your best bet. You have to bear in mind the one hour rule is for your own safety, if you ever have an incident and your commute comes into play then they won’t look kindly on it especially early in your career. Are there no schools that fit the criteria in bristol?

Congratulations on getting an interview, seems most of the internals have been offered start dates for this year.

Mabs

Reading will be too far for bristol, renting a room in bristol is your best bet. You have to bear in mind the one hour rule is for your own safety, if you ever have an incident and your commute comes into play then they won’t look kindly on it especially early in your career. Are there no schools that fit the criteria in bristol?

Congratulations on getting an interview, seems most of the internals have been offered start dates for this year.
I'm sure there are good schools in Bristol but not what I'm looking for.

I also have a DMI with GTR Thameslink but I haven't got a date yet. I have no idea where il end up if I'm successful.

I already messed up four DMIs.

I'm not too good with Interviews but if it comes to getting a job done. It's guaranteed to be top quality in whatever I do.

Haru

You have passed the MMI so you already have what it takes, with every question just take a moment to think about what NTS they are looking for and structure your answer methodically. They want to see you can take a calm approach so they know you can do your job and make their job go smoothly.

You can do it if you’ve passed everything!

Mabs

You have passed the MMI so you already have what it takes, with every question just take a moment to think about what NTS they are looking for and structure your answer methodically. They want to see you can take a calm approach so they know you can do your job and make their job go smoothly.

You can do it if you’ve passed everything!
I work part time for SWR and TFL so I passed two tough interviews before. Just can't seem the get over the line for the driver.

windnoise69

If you interview at Bristol for Bristol the position that will be offered will be Bristol, and Bristol only.
it’s non transferable.

After 2 years productive work you can put in for a transfer to another depot. You get 1 move and 1 hardship move outlined in your T&Cs. Transferring depends on depot establishments and that could take years in some cases

Mabs

If you interview at Bristol for Bristol the position that will be offered will be Bristol, and Bristol only.
it’s non transferable.

After 2 years productive work you can put in for a transfer to another depot. You get 1 move and 1 hardship move outlined in your T&Cs. Transferring depends on depot establishments and that could take years in some cases
Thank you for giving the information.

windnoise69

You could always get in contact with HR tomorrow and enquire about Reading. But as you have an interview pencilled in, it may not be favourable.

Bristol ain’t a terrible depot anyway

Mabs

You could always get in contact with HR tomorrow and enquire about Reading. But as you have an interview pencilled in, it may not be favourable.

Bristol ain’t a terrible depot anyway
I think il leave it as Bristol. No guarantee il get the role anyway. Il be happy to just get over the line. In 2-3 years time il decide what I want to do.

I might end up liking the area aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.