• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

cactustwirly

Established Member
I believe that diagram is still booked a Turbo, as it is some days. They may be using a 15x on it most days so the services can call at Melksham, as majority of the Turbos have not yet received the ASDO door mods.
Non Door mod Turbos can call at Melksham & Stonehouse using the butterfly switch.
It's Avoncliff & Dilton Marsh that are the problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I believe that diagram is still booked a Turbo, as it is some days. They may be using a 15x on it most days so the services can call at Melksham, as majority of the Turbos have not yet received the ASDO door mods.

There are 14 Diagrams so something else has to revert back. Turbos without SDO can call and do call at Melksham as there are arrangements in place, similarly at Stonehouse as the last post has already pointed out.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Each station has a nominated method of working. Either the guard works the local door equipment or steps outside to operate the butterfly. The butterfly operation can be used at local door stations but only if the rear cab is platformed.

This is because the butterfly is operated by the guard who must be able to alight from the rear cab door. At Avoncliff (towards Bath) this would put the stopping position under the canal aqueduct and past a stop signal which was deemed unacceptable.

I believe there are now 12 local door fitted 166s in traffic so the situation is somewhat eased.

Another diagram gone to Turbo operation

2M02 0519 Gloucester - Southampton Central via Swindon
2M97 0823 Southampton Central - Great Malvern
2O90 1251 Great Malvern - Weymouth
2V93 1730 Weymouth - Bristol Temple Meads

Wasn't this the diagram for a SWR 158? If so has the use of SWR 158 with GWR ended, or does or it now do something different? I apologise if this has been mentioned before - it is sometimes a bit difficult to keep up with the changes!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wasn't this the diagram for a SWR 158? If so has the use of SWR 158 with GWR ended, or does or it now do something different? I apologise if this has been mentioned before - it is sometimes a bit difficult to keep up with the changes!
The SWR unit has changed to a different route a few months back temporarily, but unless anyone knows differently the daily hire is contracted until the end if the current GW franchise.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The SWR unit has changed to a different route a few months back temporarily, but unless anyone knows differently the daily hire is contracted until the end if the current GW franchise.

Until the end of the Franchise and was a DFT initiative. It has reverted back to the Golden Valley now, the alterations have been to get through the transitional period for the gradual intriduction of Turbos,

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Until the end of the Franchise and was a DFT initiative. It has reverted back to the Golden Valley now, the alterations have been to get through the transitional period for the gradual intriduction of Turbos,
Yes, I’ve posted the relevant franchise info a few times myself. Wasn’t sure if it was still definitely until the end of the franchise.

Thank you for your replies. So if I understand correctly the SWR 158 is back on the 2M03...2O00,2V96 diagram that it used to be on and which is still shown as 166 on Page 1. The 2M02...2V93 was what it had changed to temporarily but which is now 166.

Thank you for your replies. So if I understand correctly the SWR 158 is back on the 2M03...2O00,2V96 diagram that it used to be on and which is still shown as 166 on Page 1. The 2M02...2V93 was what it had changed to temporarily but which is now 166.
I've rectified this. Diagram starting 2M03 now removed.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

I know that you have asked for assistance in providing info so am assuming that the master list is as shown in Post #1 and you are updating that. If you use everything that has been Turbo at some time or other you will have more than 14 Diagrams and there has been some swapping during the transitional period. If you act on my Post #224, that should, hopefully, be the current situation.
Re the Melksham, it does not come up as a short formed train

I know that you have asked for assistance in providing info so am assuming that the master list is as shown in Post #1 and you are updating that. If you use everything that has been Turbo at some time or other you will have more than 14 Diagrams and there has been some swapping during the transitional period. If you act on my Post #224, that should, hopefully, be the current situation.
Re the Melksham, it does not come up as a short formed train
Already removed the Melksham diagram.

The following seem to have changed from 25/03. SW Trainspottin. I have taken the details from Post #1 to refer to:-

0524 CNM to WEY = No is 2 Car 15x
0715 GCR to GMV = No is 2 Car 15x
0704 WSB to CNM = No is SWR hire

Addnl - 2G79 0600 Gloucester to Worcester etc.. until 2T99 2136 Great Malvern to Bristol TM
2M02 0517 Gloucester to Weymouth etc.. until 2V93 1730 Weymouth to Bristol TM
2O66 0654 Westbury to Wemouth etc.. until 2T97 1850 Grest Malvern to Bristol TM

Also existing ones:-
After 1845 Severn Beach to Bristol TM works 2C30 19 49 Bristol TM to Frome & 2A87 2102 Frome to Westbury
2U28 ex Taunton runs through to Cardiff Cen then 2C34 2100 Cardiff Cen to Westbury
Updated

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Interesting today on the 11am Cardiff to Taunton service which was a Turbo. Was announced that there was a catering trolley onboard but it was the wrong type for the train so anyone who wanted anything had to go to the front of the train where the trolley was parked! I wasn't even aware they ran a catering trolley on the Taunton services (I usually end up on the Portsmouth Harbour services due to when I am travelling), but assuming it ended up being a trolley meant for the 158's?

Parallel

Established Member
Interesting today on the 11am Cardiff to Taunton service which was a Turbo. Was announced that there was a catering trolley onboard but it was the wrong type for the train so anyone who wanted anything had to go to the front of the train where the trolley was parked! I wasn't even aware they ran a catering trolley on the Taunton services (I usually end up on the Portsmouth Harbour services due to when I am travelling), but assuming it ended up being a trolley meant for the 158's?
To my knowledge the Taunton services don’t usually. Maybe there had been some disruption earlier in the day and needed to move staff around to get them to other services? Due to disruption before on GWR I’ve seen two catering trolleys on a 6 car 158!

ATW158Xpress

Looks like today there about 3 Turbo diagrams replaced by Sprinters. Are some out for mod’s ATM?

One of the yellow triangle RHM turbos for Bristol was on 1704 Reading - Redhill this evening (165132)

With the summer timetable nearing, I imagine some diagrams (particularly weekends, like the previous Weymouth Wizard) will move over to Turbo operation. If anyone has any updated diagrams that are not on the list, please let me know.

cactustwirly

Established Member
With the summer timetable nearing, I imagine some diagrams (particularly weekends, like the previous Weymouth Wizard) will move over to Turbo operation. If anyone has any updated diagrams that are not on the list, please let me know.

Literally everything through Bristol apart from the Cardiff - Pompey & Bristol Parkway - Taunton services were 166s on Wednesday.

dmu fan

Does anyone know what number of units will go on the 0741 from Gloucester to Weymouth Monday to Friday and the 1730 back to Bristol temple meads in the school holiday's please. Last year had 4 carriages and was standing for some.

ATW158Xpress

Not heard of any gauge test runs to Brighton unless anyone can share if GWR did run a test in the last week.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Likely a stock swap en-route. Nothing showing on RTT from Wednesday last week. Also of note that I don’t THINK GW Fratton guards are trained on turbos yet.