• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Turbo cascade progress to Bristol region services

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
They rotate in and out of Reading so it’s not constant -

The Bristol 5 are currently:

166204, 205, 208, 210, 214

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
There are several at SPM, all Ride Height Mod (RHM), however 166204,205 & 208 are the only ones that have had their allocation transferred.

All the others still appear on the RG stock list when requested on Intergrale.

166212 is the only RHM set at Reading.

What is the status of 166216? Another place lists 166208, 210 & 216 as the three units passed to work to Cardiff, but 216 is not included within the above list for Bristol (or RHM 166s at Reading). My kind thanks to anyone who replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
166216 on Cardiff to Tauntons today until train fault which resulted in 9U16 1308 Taunton to Cardiff Cen terminating Bristol TM

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Just found out through the latest issue of RAIL that Turbos will be working in Exeter next summer subject to clearance tests.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Not in the near future, come the new year, it would seem all the Reading Turbo diagrams bar 4 are for the 165 Fleet.

That doesn't make much sense, surely it woul dbe better to send 165s west and keep the 166s in Reading for the Oxford fasts and the NDL, which require the first class and extra luggage space.

FGW_DID

Established Member
That doesn't make much sense, surely it woul dbe better to send 165s west and keep the 166s in Reading for the Oxford fasts and the NDL, which require the first class and extra luggage space.

That decision is well above my pay grade.

When the cascade was first mooted way back, we all thought the 166s would be staying for exactly the reasons you mention, but obviously thinking has changed.

I think you can discount Oxford fasts anyway as they will use IETs

jimm

Established Member
But not for another year

Much sooner than that - there will be 800s instead of the 180s from January and they will take over more duties to Oxford and the Cotswold Line through the year as more are delivered. Oxford/Cotswold services will be a mix of 800s and 802s, not one or the other.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Much sooner than that - there will be 800s instead of the 180s from January and they will take over more duties to Oxford and the Cotswold Line through the year as more are delivered. Oxford/Cotswold services will be a mix of 800s and 802s, not one or the other.

I was under the impression that the Oxford fasts (non Cotswold services) would stay turbo operated until the 802s arrived next year.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I have missed it. Will turbos be working Bristol > Weymouth services?
The route is one of those down to be cleared. Also the current Modern Railways suggests Turbos for that and a number of other routes 'from the new year' - which probably implies phased introduction.

Old Hill Bank

I was under the impression that the Oxford fasts (non Cotswold services) would stay turbo operated until the 802s arrived next year.
802s to Worcester, interesting. I thought we would just get 800s. Well it's better than Turbos but at some point we will get those things coming up from Bristol.

Last edited:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I have missed it. Will turbos be working Bristol > Weymouth services?

They should start to go to work to Weymouth as from 29th January, if enough units get modified by then.

Adsy125

I'd be surprised it isn't still as per post #2 of this thread, or later, assuming gauge clearance is still one of the deciding factors.
Thanks, I hope they do get 2+2 seats throughout, otherwise they will be a massive downgrade from the very nice 158s.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks, I hope they do get 2+2 seats throughout, otherwise they will be a massive downgrade from the very nice 158s.
There is a some doubt about that happening, it has been mentioned in the last few pages of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.