• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Turbo Cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGW_DID

Established Member
This weekend 'should' see the first of the GWR 3 car Class 165 to move West to St Phillips Marsh from Reading.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Towers

Established Member
Interesting, is this a 'surplus' unit from RDG? Lost track of it all!

Any particular operational strategy in the west to keep these on locals, or will they be intended to mix it with the 166s on Pompey - Cardiff?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Interesting, is this a 'surplus' unit from RDG? Lost track of it all!

Any particular operational strategy in the west to keep these on locals, or will they be intended to mix it with the 166s on Pompey - Cardiff?
The movement of a 165 west was mentioned in another thread as being made surplus at Reading by tightening up the diagrams slightly from the May timetable change, but a move this weekend would suggest that there is enough confidence to spare one of the 16 165s already.

On the face of it, it is a little hard to see how one is spared - currently RTT indicates
165101/107/110 on Basingstoke
165106 on Henley
165103/104/108/111/112/113/114/116 on North Downs

with 165102 having earlier worked the Bourne End peak working and 165109 having worked a peak North Downs service.

165105 and 165117 not in use.

14 from 16 3-cars presumably becomes 14 from 15 for now.

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
It’s been released by the early(ish) move of an IET to cover Oxford services apparently.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It’s been released by the early(ish) move of an IET to cover Oxford services apparently.
Considering the fasts are all IETs now, I can only assume you mean that bizarre rumour of a 5-IET on Banbury Oxford Didcot is true?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Considering the fasts are all IETs now, I can only assume you mean that bizarre rumour of a 5-IET on Banbury Oxford Didcot is true?
Yes from my local source. From monday 29th march 2022.
Starting with the 165 on the 0835 banbury to reading diagramm. Which releases this 165 for Bristol. However from the may 2022 timetable change apparently 50 percent off banbury to didcot Parkway services will be IET. Then from December 2022 nearly all should be IET on the didcot Parkway to banbury circuits. Meaning more or less no more 165 on this service.

Mollman

Established Member
Starting with the 165 on the 0835 banbury to reading diagramm. Which releases this 165 for Bristol. However from the may 2022 timetable change apparently 50 percent off banbury to didcot Parkway services will be IET. Then from December 2022 nearly all should be IET on the didcot Parkway to banbury circuits. Meaning more or less no more 165 on this service.
Presumably this is achieved by keeping the current Bedwyn arrangement rather than returning to IETs

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
How very odd that the likes of Appleford, Heyford and Tackley should be served entirely by IETs.
I assume Henley or the peak Bourne End will go down to 2-165 then, as those are currently served by 3-165 duties whereas Banbury/Oxford - Didcot is entirely booked 2-165. They're sending a 3-165 to Bristol, so it cannot be a direct replacement.

MattRat

On Moderation
So, how long before people want the Turbos back ;)

TEW

Established Member
Presumably this also means providing all those services with guards as I understand the DOO cameras cannot be used on the GWR IET fleet.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Presumably this also means providing all those services with guards as I understand the DOO cameras cannot be used on the GWR IET fleet.
Yes guards are being provided. Also heyford and tackley can only take 3 coaches. So door deselect will also be in operation.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Yes guards are being provided. Also heyford and tackley can only take 3 coaches. So door deselect will also be in operation.

Sounds like complete madness, increasing costs by operating completely unsuitable stock on what is a short commuter route.

We have IETs serving places like Tackley, when Hungerford can't possibly have a direct service to Reading or London which it's had for the last 20 years. I think GWR have lost the plot If this rumour is true.

Plus you have the removal of a spare 165 without a replacement from Reading, so if there is urgent maintenance or a failure then the Thames Valley will be short of a unit...

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Really? That's excellent news! More capacity and a better environment, no doubt.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Plus you have the removal of a spare 165 without a replacement from Reading, so if there is urgent maintenance or a failure then the Thames Valley will be short of a unit...

No, no difference to now. The diagrams will be reduced accordingly so it will be 13 3car 165 units required from 15 as opposed to the 14 from 16 it is now.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Should be fine to sit in first class on these, as the timetable says Banbury-Didcot is Standard Class only. What luxury!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Should be fine to sit in first class on these, as the timetable says Banbury-Didcot is Standard Class only. What luxury!
If it’s going fully IET I see no reason why they wouldn’t arrange for it to be a first class route with first fares

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

My source on the other hand has told me that the (sole) IET diagram on a Didcot-Banbury circuit is for the summer period only, and it disappears again once the requirement for strengthening the Newquay service to 4 cars disappears, thereby (via a series of West fleet cascades) returning the 165 back to LTV land.

It will be interesting to see which of our sources is closer to the truth.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Surely they will extend these to london
How? Wouldn't that be the same thing as just getting the Oxford 'fast' to pick up the stops at Didcot and north of there?

It seems to me that what is being done is to make the units working Oxford 'fasts' more productive by fitting in a trip to and from Didcot or Banbury when they would otherwise be in the sidings north of Oxford Station.

Towers

Established Member
Removed; I was talking nonsense!

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Unlikely; drivers will be very cautious indeed to ensure where they stop matches the SDO pattern, I'd imagine.
Initially, maybe. However it’s still new having a 3 car 165 to us and only takes a little slip in concentration. Even after confirming the train length on handover, looking up and seeing “165101” or whatever, will be easy to think it’s a 2 car without giving it much thought.

Towers

Established Member
Initially, maybe. However it’s still new having a 3 car 165 to us and only takes a little slip in concentration. Even after confirming the train length on handover, looking up and seeing “165101” or whatever, will be easy to think it’s a 2 car without giving it much thought.
I had a total brainfart and thought you were referring to 80x on Banburys! Doh; I shall remove my post! :s

How? Wouldn't that be the same thing as just getting the Oxford 'fast' to pick up the stops at Didcot and north of there?
Actually, by stopping one of the fasts at Didcot (and occasionally Radley) at least one turbo could be saved for very little cost (a turbo could continue to run in the other half hour, picking up all the little stops as necessary). All the frequencies would be maintained, except Didcot would get an extra fast to London, and the journey time penalty would be small as there is already a lot of slack getting to Oxford. A far less damaging cut than say what they are doing with the Bedwyns. However, capacity could be a problem, a five car is already well loaded to Oxford.

But anyway, that’s getting off topic.

Kite159

Veteran Member

It seems to me that what is being done is to make the units working Oxford 'fasts' more productive by fitting in a trip to and from Didcot or Banbury when they would otherwise be in the sidings north of Oxford Station.

Why not simply run them as London - Banbury calling at the usual Slough, Reading & Oxford before all the stations to Banbury every 2 hours (maybe even hourly to reduce pressure on XC)

Then Didcot - Oxford can be run with 2 units going back and forth.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation

Why not simply run them as London - Banbury calling at the usual Slough, Reading & Oxford before all the stations to Banbury every 2 hours (maybe even hourly to reduce pressure on XC)

Then Didcot - Oxford can be run with 2 units going back and forth.
That would be better!

Status
Not open for further replies.