• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Halifax to Truro - any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornwall kid

I travel between Halifax and Truro quite a lot.
I can't get any fare cheaper than £150 monthly return. Expensive for just a few days to see my friend.
Any ideas on buying separate tickets to make it cheaper - Halifax to B'ham? Bristol?
I've had a look but it's confusing.
Grateful for any help. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
I can't get any fare cheaper than £150 monthly return. Expensive for just a few days to see my friend.
Any ideas on buying separate tickets to make it cheaper - Halifax to B'ham? Bristol?

Can't give specific advice without knowing more details, but I would certainly look into going via London. Should be able to get it down below £120, expecially if you avoid can Fridays & Sundays.

Nym

Established Member
You could also change at Stalybridge or Salford Crescent if you wanted to get cross Manchester. Halifax - Huddersfeild - Manchester is also easy enough.

bnm

Established Member

More information is really needed before we can give accurate advice.

Dates and times you wish to travel (out and return)? Do you want flexibility or are you happy tied to booked trains? Price versus journey time? Do you hold a railcard or are you eligible for one?

mikeg

Established Member
So far I have tried three different sets of maps and cannot find any cheaper fares by splitting. There's a whole load of ways to get from HFX to TRU, so it is difficult to find a combination of splits. I suspect what we have here is a good value (relatively) long distance fare that can't be reduced easily, or indeed at all. Consider the cost of going by car. You have however given insufficient information for me to help you. If you can book in advance, there are advance fares available via Reading & London. To use these on a webTIS style website (e.g. East Coast, Redspottedhanky, London Midland), bring up the fares and train times and then click 'Select a route' in the bottom left corner, check 'Via Reading and London' and click update. I recommend booking on the East Coast website for the 11% off. The savings aren't going to be massive however as prices start at £44 each way and that's probably travelling off peak and booking a while in advance.

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
We can't really give much more advice until we know the details of when she/he travels or how far in advance. As you say, it's such a long journey that there are lots of different routes which might be used to save money.

If the OP can book in advance then there are a lot of advance fares from either Leeds or Manchester to Truro. Even booking just a week in advance this can be done for £131, which restricts the flexibility of the journey but is worthwhile if money is very tight. On some days, this trip can be done for around £100.

Greater savings might be had by splitting advance tickets/mixing these with flexible options, and these often work on CrossCountry trains. The best bet might be to suggest to the OP that he/she comes with specific cases of when he/she want's to travel, and we can suggest fares for each journey, rather than generalising.

D6975

Established Member
Leeds - Kings Cross can be had for £14.60 on an advance single after the morning peak, and an advance single Padd - Truro is £20 on the 18:03.
That just leaves Halifax - Leeds and that's cheap enough.

edit - coming back is only slightly more, the 07:26 off Truro is £30 to Padd adv single, 14:26 off the Cross is £14.60 to Leeds adv single.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Leeds - Kings Cross can be had for £14.60 on an advance single after the morning peak, and an advance single Padd - Truro is £20 on the 18:03.
That just leaves Halifax - Leeds and that's cheap enough.

It also leaves the hop between Kings X and Paddington - cheap enough on Oyster or walkable if you don't mind a longish walk.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
So far I have tried three different sets of maps and cannot find any cheaper fares by splitting.

Halifax - Deighton
2 x £1.75 SDS (valid via Huddersfield, valid any time)
Huddersfield - Derby
£22.90 SVR (valid via Wakefield or Leeds or Penistone/Barnsley, valid any time)
Derby - Birmingham New Street
£14.80 SVR valid after 09:30
Birmingham New Street - Cheltenham
£21.10 SVR valid after 09:30
Cheltenham - Truro
£70.00 SVR valid after 08:25 (return valid after 08:33 from TRU)

Total £132.30

Not a huge saving though.

D6975

Established Member
So, with the 11% online discount from East Coast, that's £13 x2, plus £20, plus £30
That's just £66
Leeds - Halifax is £3.75 single, that brings it up to £73.50
If you're without luggage, or just a little, Padd-KX is walkable, otherwise add another £8.

So that's a max of £81.50

Much cheaper than the £132 via Brum.

bnm

Established Member
So, with the 11% online discount from East Coast, that's £13 x2, plus £20, plus £30
That's just £66
Leeds - Halifax is £3.75 single, that brings it up to £73.50
If you're without luggage, or just a little, Padd-KX is walkable, otherwise add another £8.

So that's a max of £81.50

Much cheaper than the £132 via Brum.

All well and good, but of little use to the OP should he come back and look at this thread. How can you quote Advance Purchase fares when the OP hasn't provided the dates and times they wish to travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.