• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Halton Curve upgrade is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

po8crg

The Halton Curve is due to be reinstated at some point, but I've not heard any news of progress since the announcement of funding.

Has there been any progress? Do we know when anything will actually happen?

Given that this will need DMUs to actually run trains, are we headed for a Todmorden Curve situation where the track is there but no trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester1

Established Member
It depends on the amount of time it takes to do it and who runs the services. If its done by 2017 as planned then Arriva or Northern would need to find a couple of DMUs or loco hauled sets which may not be possible. If its Arriva running it with services carrying on past Chester then they will probably obtain a couple more loco sets avoiding the problem. Northern would be much less likely to do this so a Todmorden situation would be likely. If Warrington-Chester was electrified early in CP6 then EMUs could be used (Halton curve would almost certainly be included in the electrfication as is only 1.5 miles and Runcorn to Liverpool is electrified).

Railman

Since the money was agreed late last year (2014) has anyone got a date for the reopening of the chord to traffic in both directions? At one time NR was quoting a date of 2016 if money was agreed, might be a bit different now that the money has been agreed.

WatcherZero

Established Member
2016 was agreed date to synergise with other planned work. Should be stressed though that while the infrastructure work is planned there is no plans as yet for any services to actually operate on it as opposed to Todmorden where Lancashire CC agreed to fund a service on it.

Last edited:

Railman

Thats how I understood the situation, but the "other works" were I believe the re-signalling of Ditton to Weaver junc which includes the junction at Halton. Is this still on target? what happens if the larger scheme "slips back"? Also what of the Frodsham end of the chord?
If NR make this kind of statement should they not be made to keep to it? even if they have to put back the layout as originally installed.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Thats how I understood the situation, but the "other works" were I believe the re-signalling of Ditton to Weaver junc which includes the junction at Halton. Is this still on target? what happens if the larger scheme "slips back"? Also what of the Frodsham end of the chord?
If NR make this kind of statement should they not be made to keep to it? even if they have to put back the layout as originally installed.

NR hasn't made any specific announcements about the Lime St-Weaver Jn upgrade, it's just in the original route plan for CP5.
While there's no particular reason to worry, the project overruns elsewhere will have an effect on the CP5 plan, you can be sure.
Hopefully the work on the route will go ahead.
We need to look out for signs of the upgrade starting (signalling contracts let etc).
The recent plans for Lime St remodelling are promising.

daniel3982

Would Liverpool - London via a reversal at Chester be one option for increasing Liverpool's services to London & making use of the curve?

iandavid59

TRAINS TO TERMINATE AT WAVERTREE
TECHNOLOGY PARK ON CHAT MOSS LINES,
LIVERPOOL SOUTH PARKWAY ON DITTON MAIN/
CLC LINES. FREIGHT SERVICES TO RUN VIA
EARLESTOWN.

SUNDAYS 24/7, 31/7, 7/8, 14/8, 28/8:

POSSESSION EXTENDS FROM ALLERTON WEST
JN. NO ACCESS EDGE HILL EMD.

0100 SUN 21 AUG TO 0500 MON 22 AUG:

POSSESSION EXTENDS TO EARLESTOWN WEST
JN/ ST. HELENS STATION JN/ ALLERTON JN/
BOOTLE BRANCH FOR RECONTROL OF EDGE
HILL SB. WHEELS FREE REQUIRED. NO ACCESS
EDGE HILL EMD. NO ACCESS BOOTLE BRANCH.

0100 SUN 04 SEP TO 0400 MON 05 SEP:

POSSESSION EXTENDS TO EARLESTOWN WEST
JN/ ALLERTON JN/ BOOTLE BRANCH FOR MAIN
COMMISSIONING. WHEELS FREE REQUIRED. NO
ACCESS EDGE HILL EMD. NO ACCESS BOOTLE
BRANCH.

Work content: Liverpool Lime Street remodelling.

Plain line track renewals: Wavertree Curve (down &
up main lines relayed, c.770y formation renewals
each line).

Maintenance: Wavertree Jn S&C tamping on Sunday
24/7.

Does anyone know what these possesions are all about in 2016.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
If ATW were given direct Liverpool routes from North Wales using the curve, is there any information on journey duration

What I mean is would it be quicker to go direct via the curve to Liverpool Lime Street say, than changing at Chester for the Merseyrail stopper?

If quicker is there any information by how long?

Gareth

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I remember the times being roughly similar, depending on stopping pattern. That said, much of South Liverpool would find a direct service between Liverpool South Parkway and Chester much more convenient regardless.

snowball

Established Member
Does anyone know what these possesions are all about in 2016.

Where it says "recontrol of Edge Hill S/B" I imagine that means transferring the area controlled from Edge Hill to the Manchester ROC.

As for "Lime Street remodelling", there's a thread about that, though it hasn't been active for months.

po8crg

Would Liverpool - London via a reversal at Chester be one option for increasing Liverpool's services to London & making use of the curve?

Could be done to combine a Liverpool-Chester and a Chester-London into one train, rather than having two separate trains. Like the London-Birmingham and Birmingham-Glasgow service being operated as London-Glasgow via Birmingham.

But I wouldn't see that as a particularly good use of the service. Now, Wrexham General-Liverpool Lime Street via Chester, that would be a useful service.

Gareth

Established Member
From central Liverpool to Chester, maybe not so much. The intermediate destinations both routes serve is very different though. The Halton Curve also opens the possibility of direct North Wales services, at some point.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is there a definite need for two direct lines that serve the Chester area from the Liverpool area?

It means the business case will be weaker than if there was no existing link between the two cities. Passengers who previously used Merseyrail and start using Halton Curve service instead don't provide any significant benefits to go into the benefit-cost ratio. However as it has been funded, it must stack up sufficiently well to satisfy the decision makers.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure I remember the times being roughly similar, depending on stopping pattern. That said, much of South Liverpool would find a direct service between Liverpool South Parkway and Chester much more convenient regardless.

Times might be similar with stops only at Runcorn and Liverpool South Parkway.
Add in others like Helsby and Frodsham and it will be slower than the Birkenhead route.
The Frodsham-Runcorn section will be VERY slow.
A limited stop EMU service on the Birkenhead route would be more attractive to Chester/Wirral passengers.

Gareth

Established Member
But not South & East Liverpool passengers, which is the point. The two routes serve very different intermediate areas.

Railman

I have raised this before on other threads, that the as yet "untapped" source of passengers from Helsby and Frodsham areas will quickly prove this route a success on their own. Not to mention the fact that the Mersey road bridges will soon be Toll Roads, so the market is there for rail to take. I think car parking will be a big issue at these stations before too long and an "integrated transport" approach would be working on increasing capacity now.
My original point is that once NR make these statements with dates like 2016 for a set price, then they should be made to keep to them, even if it means only the minimum work to open on time not linked, to some big scheme that may well slip back years.
The work at Lime Street and Edge Hill still leaves a lot of railway missing from Weaver-Wavertree.

Chester1

Established Member

London-Chester is 2 hours 4 mins, add in a 7 minute reversal stop at Chester and 43 minutes to Liverpool it would be 2 hours 54 minutes, 18 minutes longer than current London to Liverpool trains. Nearly 10 mins could be cut by going non stop from London to Crewe and perhaps another 5 mins by by not stopping at Helsby and Frodsham. Add in direct Liverpool-London services stopping at Milton Keynes to componsate and they could be balanced timewise at 4-5 mins longer than the current service.

Only if Voyagers are used.

Yep, which is the biggest issue. It would mean Virgin switching all its Birmingham-Scotland voyagers to Chester services.

What, on earth, would you want to do that for? If determined, Merseyrail is there for that.

It would be a direct service and give Liverpool half hourly services. Also, most London-Chester/North Wales services are 5 coaches with only 2 or 3 a day being 10 coaches (two voyagers) which is a waste of capacity of WCML fast paths. Switching as much capacity through changing routes, timings and stopping patterns so that every Chester-London service is double voyager would add 250+ seats per hour each way of capacity without needing any line upgrades. Addtionally, Merseytravel has always wanted Liverpool South Parkway to have a fast London service, which it could every two hours if an hourly double voyager service to Chester was implemented, and was 10 carriages to Liverpool once per two hours and split at Chester once every two hours with half the train going to Holyhead and the other half going to Liverpool. South Parkway could fit in a single voyager. Id split the 22 9 coach Pendalinos into 11x11 and 11x7 and use the latter to replace the voyagers needed for Chester/Liverpool services. 11x11 coach new trains would then need to be bought. It would add huge capacity without needing a line upgrade.

If you mix the saturday one directional service timings with LM times from South Parkway to Lime Street then the time would be 43 minutes compared with 41 mins for the existing Merseyrail service.

Could be done to combine a Liverpool-Chester and a Chester-London into one train, rather than having two separate trains. Like the London-Birmingham and Birmingham-Glasgow service being operated as London-Glasgow via Birmingham.

But I wouldn't see that as a particularly good use of the service. Now, Wrexham General-Liverpool Lime Street via Chester, that would be a useful service.

That would depend on the outcome of the Wrexham-Chester redoubling debacle. There might not be any paths for more than making Holyhead-Chester hourly.

From central Liverpool to Chester, maybe not so much. The intermediate destinations both routes serve is very different though. The Halton Curve also opens the possibility of direct North Wales services, at some point.

It also opens up better access to the Airport.

As someone who lives in Chester and cant drive, its an area that might as well not exist for me, its easier to get to Manchester than South Liverpool via public transport.

A classic Beeching type mistake as others have pointed out the traffic is not all end to end. In fact the heavily used but still closed Chester Northgate to Dee Marsh Junction should give a third route.

The messy bit is what to do at the Chester end. Its possible to build a bridge bending over the exisiting line around the right side of the ATW shed and into platform 7b but it would be extremely expensive. The alternative would be rebuilding the whole line with a new Station on Brook Lane and expecting people to walk several hundred metres to Chester General.

Times might be similar with stops only at Runcorn and Liverpool South Parkway.
Add in others like Helsby and Frodsham and it will be slower than the Birkenhead route.
The Frodsham-Runcorn section will be VERY slow.
A limited stop EMU service on the Birkenhead route would be more attractive to Chester/Wirral passengers.

Limited stop services would be great but would require line upgrades to allow overtaking, which wont happen anytime soon.

But not South & East Liverpool passengers, which is the point. The two routes serve very different intermediate areas.

Definately.

I have raised this before on other threads, that the as yet "untapped" source of passengers from Helsby and Frodsham areas will quickly prove this route a success on their own. Not to mention the fact that the Mersey road bridges will soon be Toll Roads, so the market is there for rail to take. I think car parking will be a big issue at these stations before too long and an "integrated transport" approach would be working on increasing capacity now.
My original point is that once NR make these statements with dates like 2016 for a set price, then they should be made to keep to them, even if it means only the minimum work to open on time not linked, to some big scheme that may well slip back years.
The work at Lime Street and Edge Hill still leaves a lot of railway missing from Weaver-Wavertree.

Agreed. It would open up allot of job oppertunities for me if I could easily get to South Liverpool!

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Nearly 10 mins could be cut by going non stop from London to Crewe

How are you going to get 10 minutes? The Virgin Chester services only stop at MK, you would get 4 at best. There is no other time to take out of them.

Id split the 22 9 coach Pendalinos into 11x11 and 11x7 and use the latter to replace the voyagers needed for Chester/Liverpool services. 11x11 coach new trains would then need to be bought. It would add huge capacity without needing a line upgrade.

You are more likely to see all the Pendos going to 11 to get rid of the issues of a mixed fleet.

pablo

Stops at Rugby southbound.
Monday 16th 0735 ex Chester, we made an unscheduled stop at MK in addition and still arrived at Euston early. How did the driver manage to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.