• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hamburg...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLC1072

Right on the 28th of this month I am off to Hamburg to Miniatur Wunderland, but I have about 4 hours after visiting there with which I intend to see some of Hamburg and sample its transport network etc.

Any Suggestions?

I have FIP card too :)
Thanks!
NLC1072

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
go on the hochbahn, which is basically the u-bahn from hbf via Landungsbrucke.

You could also take a look at the Flak Tower next to St Pauli stadium

beermaddavep

If you do ride the Hochbahn, it's worth getting off for a wander around the Landungsbreucken area, it is quite nice and if you have time there are lots of boat trips of varying distance available here too.

A perhaps more thought provoking place we stumbled across was the remains of the (british designed) church of St Nicholas, never rebuilt and kept as a memorial against war. The spire remains, there is a lift there with a good view of the city.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
ıf you do get off at landungsbrucke, have a wander through the Old Elbe Tunnel, you`ll recognıse the ınterıor from spy fılms

Guttorm

Between Neugraben and Fischbek, S3 trains switch from third rail power supply (DC) to overhead wire (AC), if that might be of interest for you.

And I agree with the others that the Old Elbe tunnel and St. Nikolai are worth visiting. Also, the Speicherstadt district (where the Miniatur Wunderland is located) is quite nice.

If you are intending to take a boat trip, there are some ferries on which the regular HVV fare applies.

lewisf

If you want to see some freight get an S3 train towards Harburg and get off at one of the intermediate stations. Lots of container freight, some cl66 hauled.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Reeperbahn is good for a visit!

Some canny railway action at the various stations. I got some great Rabbit action when I went there a few years ago!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
the Reeperbahn ıs good for a vısıt ıf you want to see:

a) more polıce than anywhere else ever

b) some really crap pubs full of englısh tosspots

It ıs however perfectly safe, whatever you may have heard elsewhere, probably due to the polıce presence

stut

Established Member
I didn't take to the Reeperbahn at all. It seemed like Camden crossed with a seedy uncle.

Skt Pauli, however, is a fascinating part of town to wander around.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I didn't take to the Reeperbahn at all. It seemed like Camden crossed with a seedy uncle.

Skt Pauli, however, is a fascinating part of town to wander around.

St. Pauli is canny, some good bars. The Reeperbahn was like a smaller and colder Pattaya. I still don't know what goes on in the Eros Centre's mind ;)

Crossover

Established Member
Don't really know the Hamburg area all that well to be honest, but enjoy Miniatur Wunderland. I visited whilst on holiday in the area about 18 months ago and it is an amazing place. Some of the areas that were still under construction when I went will also be finished now...the airport looked amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.