• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hardest station to depart from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Gasworks Tunnel has a dip and was often very wet (it runs under the Regents Canal) making the climb out and up Copenhagen bank a challenge for trains departing Kings Cross in the olden days. (I recall, towards the end of Deltic operation, sharing the tunnels with two of them making a simultaneous departure on a wet night - one of them immediately ahead of me and the other alongside - if you do the arithmetic that's 144 pistons!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSP 2

Lancaster in pre electric days going south from platform 5 and a good load in the wet and at leaf fall, that could be fun.
A bit latter on we would have Reggie rail with an ETH class 31 and load 4/5 that could be fun at any time.

Inversnecky

Found this list of inclines.

biggest in U.K. is 1 in 37.5 - Lickey Incline south of Birmingham.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lickey_Incline

ROW, FYI:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_steepest_gradients_on_adhesion_railways

Top three:

The list below is of some of the steepest gradients on adhesion railways, in order of decreasing steepness:

Gradient Line Notes
1 in 7.2 (13.8%) Calçada de São Francisco, Lisbon Tramways, Portugal [1]
1 in 8.6 (11.6%) Pöstlingbergbahn, Austria
1 in 9 (11.1%) Cass Scenic Railway, West Virginia, United States Former logging railway, steepest non-electrified adhesion railway

1955LR

Gowerton to Swansea in Autumn 2019, nor sure of the class but we were down to less than a walking pace with wheel slip for a lot of the way .

Westbound out of Exhibition Centre, Glasgow, is a bit of a climb heading up to meet the North Clyde Line. Trains from Charing Cross have to climb to Partick as well, but they can get a bit of a run at the slope.

matchmaker

Established Member
this is a very good shout- used to be cable hauled, then operated with a banking locomotive. Arriving trains used to need an additional brake van attached at the top. Modern DMUs and especially now the EMUs make it seem easy in comparison
The marker lights in the tunnel on the up direction walls were provided to let drivers know whether the train was ascending the gradient or not! At least one accident was caused by a loco slipping so badly that the train went backwards back into the station.

alangla

Westbound out of Exhibition Centre, Glasgow, is a bit of a climb heading up to meet the North Clyde Line. Trains from Charing Cross have to climb to Partick as well, but they can get a bit of a run at the slope.
More than that, there’s a signal on the upper part of the slope as well as the platform starter. When you pass on the Expressway and there’s something stopped there it looks like the lift hill of a roller coaster. I’m sure there’s an optical illusion at play with the Expressway descending though.

Douglas (IoM) towards Port Soderick. Both before and after preservation it often required a banker which would drop back around where Okells brewery now is.

alangla

Inverkeithing, fully formed HSTs were not allowed to call there southbound if they were only running on 1 power car as they really struggled to get up the hill to North Queensferry.

Rosyth heading towards Dunfermline during leaf fall season used to be bad, had to set back there to try again at least once.
North Queensferry seems to be a challenge if you’re driving a Western.
Video is D1015 Western Champion slipping spectacularly with sparks flying.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I'm sure Green lane toward Rock Ferry is quite a short but steep one too . Not that the 507/8s struggle with it even in poor weather, they just sort of well, go up it!
Yes, 1 in 27.
There are also sections at 1 in 26/27 in the Mersey Tunnel, but departures into the Tunnel from Hamilton Square & James Street are both downhill. These days, most drivers seem to apply low power down the gradients, and only increase power when the climb starts. In the past, there were very rare occasions when drivers must have applied full power all the way until it was time to brake, and (now impossible) times of just under 2 minutes were obtained between the two stations.

snookertam

The start from Rannoch northbound onto the 1 in 53 curving climb is quite hard, particularly for drivers of loco-hauled trains. As the speed limit is 15mph until the last vehicle of the formation has cleared the loop points, then 30mph over the viaduct, there’s not that much opportunity for the driver of long loco-hauled trains to get a run at the gradient (all trains, since 1988, have had to stop at Rannoch as it‘s a mandatory token exchange point for the RETB- back in the 70s and 80s, heavy freights could exchange tokens on the move passing through the station and get a better run at the gradient). A single 73/9 on load 6 with the sleeper (as was the norm in summer 2018 and 2019) would really struggle in damp conditions; one dreich morning in July 2019 I remember 73971 (working on three traction motors) slipping to a stand just north of the viaduct. The driver had to get permission to set back into Rannoch to have another go at the gradient. I seem to remember that he got up the bank OK a second time- after applying copious quantities of sand and turning off the ETS. It‘s a very difficult balancing act at low speeds with a wet rail, especially as the loco will not take full power in those circumstances.

Before anyone rubbishes the 73/9s, I’ve known the same happen to 37s in the same spot with poor railhead conditions (usually when the loco wasn’t in the best condition). I also remember a 67 (67009) slipping to a stand in lethal railhead conditions one autumn on the 1 in 70 leaving Blair Atholl with the Inverness sleeper.
Had to remove the Blair Atholl stop from the sleeper during the autumn months in response.

Exhibition Centre on the Argyle Line heading towards Finnieston East Jn and Partick. Even electric units have become stuck there having set off from the platform and had to set back to try again.

Sorry missed the post above.

North Queensferry seems to be a challenge if you’re driving a Western.
Video is D1015 Western Champion slipping spectacularly with sparks flying.

I'm amazed the driver kept the power on for so long! Surely this will have done significant damage to the rails? I suppose the wheels will be relatively unaffected but surely the rail is at risk of being ground down?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Not sure how it is as a driver, but as a passenger in a 150 you can really feel it struggling out of Whaley Bridge and Chapel-en-le-Frith eastbound. Especially when the track is wet.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
tbh, not "hard" to depart from.

I remember when I was a baby going to Brighton on a 319 and the train got stuck going up the hill!

319s were notorious for struggling up that in autumn. Especially if a 4 car with a motor out

I feel East Anglia is being left out here, so my submission is Diss southbound in loco hauled days. In drizzle it was awful. I’ve been stuck there more than once.

ComUtoR

Established Member
319s were notorious for struggling up that in autumn. Especially if a 4 car with a motor out

A 4-Car 319 with a motor out wasn't allowed up. It had to turnback.

Sectional Appendix said:
SO280 - FARRINGDON TO HERNE HILL

CITY THAMESLINK To BLACKFRIARS

From City Thameslink to Blackfriars

A train with more than half the traction motors defective or isolated is not permitted to leave City Thameslink.
A train with up to half the traction motors defective or isolated may proceed but must be formed of at least 8 cars. In these circumstances the Driver must advise the Signaller and arrangements will be made for the train to be given a clear run from City Thameslink to Blackfriars.

When applying power either under normal conditions, or when there are defective or isolated motors in the formation, trains must be driven in notch 4, subject to the observance of speed restrictions and signal aspects.

From Blackfriars to City Thameslink

If more than half the traction motors are defective or isolated a train booked to terminate at City Thameslink and return to the Kent Route, must where possible be terminated at Blackfriars in the northbound direction.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Totnes going up Rattery Bank towards Plymouth must be challenge, especially given the history of piloting and if I recall correctly a HST on only one power car working properly has had to skip the stop to get a run at the bank (back in the days of 7-8 car sets).

Could it be also argued: any station in leaf fall season with very poor adhesion? Although I imagine this is more challenging in tightly-timetabled commuter services.
In the past, sometimes a Class 37 used to pilot HSTs from Exeter St Davids to Plymouth if only one HST Power Car was working, in the event of the other shutting down

4F89

I'm amazed the driver kept the power on for so long! Surely this will have done significant damage to the rails? I suppose the wheels will be relatively unaffected but surely the rail is at risk of being ground down?
Driver is evidently an idiot

Established Member
How much do autumn conditions actually affect that stretch of line, given how much of it is surrounded by buildings?

Pretty badly for a location with no foliage in sight, especially early in the morning. The high frequency of trains in the area tends to reduce issues later in the day.

EDIT: it’s worth pointing out that 319s are particularly badly affected by low adhesion, due to having only one motor coach per four car unit.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
How much do autumn conditions actually affect that stretch of line, given how much of it is surrounded by buildings?

Badly. Contamination on the wheels, and then the drizzle through the gap right on the incline. There was an instruction on for drivers not to depart on a single or double yellow, as stopping on the incline left a good chance of not starting again. 319s would get stuck on the incline a few of times every autumn - some times multiple times a day.

father_jack

Chippenham westbound. And lately the trains seem to do a brake test of sorts just after starting off as well.

Established Member
There was an instruction on for drivers not to depart on a single or double yellow, as stopping on the incline left a good chance of not starting again.

Departing P3 at Victoria always took a certain leap of faith - waiting for the red at the end of P2 to step up.

That is the one situation where I was taught by my DI to actively drive towards a red signal, anticipating that it would change, on the basis that if you slowed down too much, you’d gap it. I used to ignore that advice, because I’d far rather gap a train than have a SPAD.

London Victoria. From the politics of the shared messroom, to the tramps outside who threaten to assault you, to the truly appalling signalling in and out. It’s a truly horrible station, in every conceivable way.

It gets my vote for the station I’m the most grateful to never have to drive into/out of again.

Status
Not open for further replies.