• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hartlepool Up Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poolie

I've noticed that the up line through the disused platform at Hartlepool is now well rusted and becoming weed overgrown. Can't have been used for quite a while now. I thought this was a bit of a bottleneck and I believe Grand Central were making noises about regenerating the platform for potential future paths.
So all the southbound biomass loads are passing to the down platform which will have waiting passengers on and in the light of recent images where children are 'allowed' to look over the platform edge, I wonder how safe this routing is. Has it been done on economy grounds (Switching a pair of points maybe 12 times a day)? but then the added wear and tear on the down line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wonder how safe this routing is. Has it been done on economy grounds

Perfectly safe. If the traffic doesn't warent use why not remove the maintenance liability and not use the crossing?

PS if it wasnt safe ( and it absolutely is) how would i use my station that has one platform? Should the station be sealed by the BTP when the stone train passes through?

Tomnick

Established Member
It doesn't really reduce the number of movements of the points - both ends of the crossover at each end of the portion of bi-directional line will have to be swung regularly anyway.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Perfectly safe. If the traffic doesn't warent use why not remove the maintenance liability and not use the crossing?

PS if it wasnt safe ( and it absolutely is) how would i use my station that has one platform? Should the station be sealed by the BTP when the stone train passes through?

How many instances have they been when withdrawn infrastructure has had to be brought back with very high costs following the rationalisation under BR in te 80s and early 90s.. I can think of Exeter to Salisbury for one which, in hindsight, was a short sighted move

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've noticed that the up line through the disused platform at Hartlepool is now well rusted and becoming weed overgrown. Can't have been used for quite a while now. I thought this was a bit of a bottleneck and I believe Grand Central were making noises about regenerating the platform for potential future paths.
That’s about all they ever do isn’t it? Probably wanted someone else to actually fund it...

Marton

It does seem that the single through platform causes extra delays when there are late Durham Coast or GC services, although the retiming of southbound to xx40 does help.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
2N50 there at this moment in time. Just followed it on tracking map as the last few trains of the day are booked to use it according to RTT

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
2N50 there at this moment in time. Just followed it on tracking map as the last few trains of the day are booked to use it according to RTT

Forget this. The absence of Platform numbers on the Map fooled me. Platforms 1 and 2 are the same bi-directional platform, depending on which end. No.3 is the disused one and is shown on another map as being out of use.

Darandio

Established Member
Was going to say, RTT has it booked as P2 but that is the bay, not the disused platform.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Was going to say, RTT has it booked as P2 but that is the bay, not the disused platform.

I'm baffled here. Trains (through) on RTT today have been shown on both Platforms 1 and 2 so possible error problem as, since, I have looked at another day everything is shown as using 1. There is a turn back on a Sunday which uses the bay and that is shown as Platform 2. It is a station I have used myself incidentally.

Darandio

Established Member
Yeah, the Darlington terminators use the bay on Sundays. No idea why RTT is showing P2 for some through services.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
The absence of Platform numbers on the Map fooled me. Platforms 1 and 2 are the same bi-directional platform, depending on which end.

I used tp be a regular at HPL, it doesn't even matter which end, it is simply which direction.

Poolie

The up platform was taken out of use in the 80's and all passenger traffic has since used the down platform. The footbridge was removed in the 90's. I'm just curious as to why in the last few weeks all up freight traffic is now using the down line?

Darandio

Established Member
I'm just curious as to why in the last few weeks all up freight traffic is now using the down line?

Maybe the points at Clarence Road have an issue and are locked to the down only? I've no idea, just trying to think of reasons.

At the Spring AGM of Tyne Valley Rail Users Group a senior officer of Northern told me that pathing for Northern Connect Middlesbrough - Carlisle would go via Hartlepool/Sunderland with speed on sections upgraded from 65 to 75mph. Pathing via Stillington & ECML was refused.
So more pressure on single track Hartlepool especially as the hourly service will stop for Poolies!!!
Last night I was on the peak hour 17.25 stopper southbound which ran to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.