• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have TPE finally given up on the Scarborough service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
No they are not, and as I have written before, I think most of us on here accept that things can occasionally go wrong.

What isn't acceptable whatsoever is cancellations and serious delays being the daily norm. There's no good reason at all why Scarborough shouldn't have a reliable train service to and from York. It is not difficult or challenging to provide.

I'm not disagreeing you on the cancellation issues, just pointing out that contingency planning is no different in Scarborough as it is anywhere else. In the hypothetical situation you raise, the moment you become aware of a cancellation you speak to a member of station staff ASAP, or take it into your own hands & jump in a taxi to make your own way on the first leg at least.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2L70

On Moderation
From the numerous recent and past postings on this website that have made reference to very poor quality levels of Northern management, I am indeed interested in where these hidden gems of Northern management that you describe above are based and I should well imagine there are many other website members wanting the answer to that.

I’d think they don’t want to travel to York on a regular basis, also they do have a degree of decision making allowed(same as the company i work for), whilst across the station you can’t go to the Toilet without Manchester’s Permission it seems.

Alan2603

I'm not disagreeing you on the cancellation issues, just pointing out that contingency planning is no different in Scarborough as it is anywhere else. In the hypothetical situation you raise, the moment you become aware of a cancellation you speak to a member of station staff ASAP, or take it into your own hands & jump in a taxi to make your own way on the first leg at least.

A genuine question as I don't know the answer, but what if you are at an unmanned station (for example Seamer, or Malton after the booking office place has closed) and the train just doesn't turn up. No taxis to jump into and no station staff to sort anything out.

Are you quite litterally on your own to try to sort anything out?

Bantamzen

Established Member
A genuine question as I don't know the answer, but what if you are at an unmanned station (for example Seamer, or Malton after the booking office place has closed) and the train just doesn't turn up. No taxis to jump into and no station staff to sort anything out.

Officially I believe there should be a help point at the station. However I have no experience with these, and from what I have seen many just connect you to a generic call centre as opposed to a TOC specific centre, and you are supposed to make arrangements with them (i.e. they organise onward travel). But in reality, I personally would be onto my smartphone to find a local taxi firm to get me onto the next leg, with the same caveats of having them put their foot down! Of course if you don't have a internet connected phone, or can't get a mobile signal then you have to rely on said help point, assuming its working & someone actually answers it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I contacted Robert Goodwill about problems with the Scarborough service, but because I live 50 yards outside his constituency I wasn’t in a position to merit a reply.

To be fair, I think it's illegal for an MP to attempt to represent someone outside their constituency, isn't it?

Darandio

Established Member
They should also forward the correspondence to the correct MP. It's also recommended they do reply thanking them for the correspondence and explaining that the correspondence has been passed on. It's not seen as good practice to simply ignore it.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
What contempt? Shutting a gate because the British Transport Police advised it? Or is it cos they're not getting new trains.
Well - the gate shutting thing is stupid - it remains open during the evenings when antisocial behaviour is most likely to happen. New stock - well why does the Scarborough service deserve new stock but the Hull service doesn’t? I would like an answer.

Also the fact that after December, the Hull-Manchester service will take longer than it did in the 1990s. I’m sure others can think of more.

Alan2603

Officially I believe there should be a help point at the station. However I have no experience with these, and from what I have seen many just connect you to a generic call centre as opposed to a TOC specific centre, and you are supposed to make arrangements with them (i.e. they organise onward travel). But in reality, I personally would be onto my smartphone to find a local taxi firm to get me onto the next leg, with the same caveats of having them put their foot down! Of course if you don't have a internet connected phone, or can't get a mobile signal then you have to rely on said help point, assuming its working & someone actually answers it.

Many thanks for that.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
They should also forward the correspondence to the correct MP. It's also recommended they do reply thanking them for the correspondence and explaining that the correspondence has been passed on. It's not seen as good practice to simply ignore it.

Unfortunately in 2019, MP's can get away with much worse behaviour!

Starmill

Veteran Member
There is more case for TPE to serve Scarborough though. The likes of Greenfield and Mossley should be left to Northern
A huge fuss was made about how transferring the Manchester to Huddersfield corridor to TPE would improve performance because only one operator was serving it.

Of course, performance is now worse.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The thread title poses the question "Have TPE finally given up on the Scarborough service?"

The significant word that I understood in that title was the word "finally". Have TPE made any recent press statements in which any statement of intent to change their intention on the operation of the said Scarborough service?

Bantamzen

Established Member
The thread title poses the question "Have TPE finally given up on the Scarborough service?"

The significant word that I understood in that title was the word "finally". Have TPE made any recent press statements in which any statement of intent to change their intention on the operation of the said Scarborough service?

I'm certainly not aware of any such statement, indeed TPE's intentions seem to be quite the reverse in them building a stabling / maintenance depot at Scarborough. That their recent performance to the town hasn't been great is of course a serious issue, but sometimes it feels like people really want to believe there is some great conspiracy against the place, instead of the reality of a mixture of issues that have led to a lot of cancellations.

Perhaps you could offer to lend your signature to the town for their new motto?

daikilo

Established Member
I think it must be clear that First TPE have not "given up" on the Scarborough service
1) Diagrammes have been modified to be more resilient to delays at the expense of requiring more crews
2) The Nova 3s are being introduced albeit with some technical issues
3) When crew training is complete, we can expect more crews to be available for passenger operations
4) Some further schedule resilience should be built in with the upcoming timetable revision

The question for me is whether, when all the above are completed, management will retain the resilience they have achieved or reduce it in the interests of (probably false) economy.

One issue that remains is that they are the only operator between York and Scarborough and with only an hourly service. Introducing another operator is not for me the solution but TPE themselves attacking the specific cancellation issues is.

Last edited:

Skipness

Have just heard that the cricket fixtures for 2020 have just been released. Scarborough has got the Roses match which ought to generate a good trans pennine passenger flow.

daikilo

Established Member
The Roses match will certainly be a test case for whether TPE are trying. They have enough time to schedule crews and/or provide standby capacity at York to provide a shuttle if needed, whether it be their own or WCRC/DRS.

blackfive460

1) Diagrams have been modified to be more resilient to delays at the expense of requiring more crews
I'm not sure that's correct though if I'm wrong I'm sure someone with inside knowledge will be along shortly :) ...
Prior to the current diagrams, when we had very short turn rounds at Scarborough, the crew off an incoming train took their PNB then took over the next incoming train an hour later. Now crews stay with the train they brought in so I shouldn't think the number of crews required for Scarborough will have changed much.

When the new timetable starts one problem may be that with turn rounds being reduced from an hour to around 40 minutes, there could be problems with late running arrivals not allowing sufficient time for PNBs which will cause late departures.
Time will tell on that one but another problem for the future will be not having crews signing all traction. Currently everyone signs 185s which must be very handy in times of disruption but, as has been said before, having a spare crew may not mean that you can use them for cover.

LittleAH

Well - the gate shutting thing is stupid - it remains open during the evenings when antisocial behaviour is most likely to happen. New stock - well why does the Scarborough service deserve new stock but the Hull service doesn’t? I would like an answer.

Also the fact that after December, the Hull-Manchester service will take longer than it did in the 1990s. I’m sure others can think of more.

No it wasn't - ASB went down by a third. I'd say the calculated attacks on TPE by local politicians rather than focusing on the social issues in Hull is barmy. Every time I've been to Hull there's been an incident (assaults, drugs, theft) - it's not up to a TOC to police the locals, in fact I'd say that a lot of the locals have no pride in their town.

Why does Scarborough get new stock? Well it helps that there is land available to build a new depot to service new trains. Then the core route is often much busier than Leeds to Hull. Stood up on a 185 yesterday from York at 1pm, last 3 times I've gone between Hull and Leeds around lunch time I've always got a seat - capacity is more required on the core route, although Hull will be getting refurbished 6 car 185's.

Finally, with speed comes infrastructure. TRU will easily improve that.

It does seem to me that people lack the clarity of mind when it comes to where they live - it's all about them. Every TOC has to fulfill the need of every route not just on individuals. It's disingenuous to say that any TOC has given up on a route because there are many factors affecting every route and every business.

Ben Bow

With regard to crew availability for 68's. There are no more crews in training for the current 2 diagrams operated. Scarborough crews are training currently, but when they come on stream in December, the number of diagrams operated will increase too, so the ratio of available crews to turns operated will stay the same, which is very roughly 10 crews per diagram. I would suggest that what you have now will be the situation in the long term, which experience since September has shown us, is not adequate.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Thank you for editing my original post!!
I was outbound from Scarborough last year during the cricket festival and witnessed large numbers of disgruntled fans arriving later than planned because of cancellations.

Disgruntled because of the delay, or that they were wasting a perfectly good day going to cricket... ;)

Skipness

This evening (26/11/19) both the 20.44 to Liverpool and the 21.46 to Manchester have been cancelled”because of a shortage of train drivers”.

tpjm

So many comments in this thread that I struggle to process because they fail to address the bigger picture scenario of running a railway in the current franchise structure. As with any franchise bid, TPE was based on several projects delivering on-time and within the parameters set by others. Principally, this means that new trains would be delivered on time, Network Rail would deliver several key infrastructure projects on time, advertised capacity on the network was actually there, etc. All of these things contributed to TPE projecting their revenue stream/growth, and therefore, how much was able to be given back to the Government. As it happens, lots of these things haven't happened, TPE's revenue isn't as strong as predicted and it's a challenging climate. These issues are further compounded by Northern being in a similar position, affected by rolling stock and infrastructure delays which are knocking onto TPE and vice versa.

Poor planning on the Company’s part? They could do training in a period where there is less on leave days/weeks but in a typical TPE face saving exercise they’re getting it done now when the trains are getting busier in the run up to Xmas.

If you read a few of the other threads, you'll know that crew training is currently at an all time high due to the significant delays to both the MkVa and Class 397 stock. The training requirements are so severe that the decision has been taken to prioritise the training on Class 802 which are what have the biggest uplift of diagrams in the Dec TT.

Or of course TPE could just hand the franchise back.
So who would you hand the franchise to and how would they do it better?

No they are not, and as I have written before, I think most of us on here accept that things can occasionally go wrong.

What isn't acceptable whatsoever is cancellations and serious delays being the daily norm. There's no good reason at all why Scarborough shouldn't have a reliable train service to and from York. It is not difficult or challenging to provide.

Clearly TPE are finding it challenging and I would put that down to a lot of external (and some internal) factors. Maybe you'd like to elaborate on how TPE could better run the service for SCA whilst keeping all the other stakeholders happy?

Really? When...

Square one
NR: we have a late running freight at Trafford Park what do we do?
TPE: let it go through we don’t mind
NR: will do
TPE: Delay minutes Kerching
TPE(1) an hour later: Erm, the Guard has a booked PNB in Scarborough
TPE(2): tell them to have 20mins and carry on
5 mins later
TPE(1): They want their break
TPE(2): Did you say?
TPE(1): Yes I did
TPE(2): Right i’ll email their OBSM
TPE(1): Should we terminate this at York now?
TPE(2): Yes, tell Customer Service for Malton, Seamer and Scarborough to put everyone on the next one it will be alright

Despite all the above

Yeah but 68s

This is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read. Square One doesn't even control the network. Have you heard of Manchester ROC?

Unstaffed stations (TPE - anyway) generally have Customer help points. I can't think of any stations that don't, although I might be wrong.

I'm not sure how you work this out... Off-peak, December's service (HUL-MAN) will take 1hr 54mins, including 6 minutes of pathing time at the end of the journey. The current off-peak service takes 1hr 58mins and has less pathing time at the end. In the peak 3x AM, 3x PM, the journey takes 2hrs 3 mins with 3 mins of pathing. Surely this is a small price to pay as it removes the 7th tph between Stalybridge and Huddersfield, currently operated by Northern, in the peaks?

A huge fuss was made about how transferring the Manchester to Huddersfield corridor to TPE would improve performance because only one operator was serving it.

Of course, performance is now worse.

We will never know what would have happened if Northern had continued to run the service on the new TT. What is very clear to me as a local resident, is that Northern's peak time extras cannot be relied upon. The sporadic calling pattern is unhelpful (although that is a product of the TT), but their late notice cancellations, delays due to 'a train being late from the depot' and the limited stock they have available, i.e. 75mph, slow accelerating 142s, do nothing in the peaks for TPE's performance. The number of times I've been on an express 3 trains back from their stopper that's been allowed to leave MAN 10 mins late with the TPE stopper right behind is ridiculous.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
This evening (26/11/19) both the 20.44 to Liverpool and the 21.46 to Manchester have been cancelled”because of a shortage of train drivers”.

I'm trying to think of a time when I've had a flight cancelled due to lack of a pilot?

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I suppose if one were being purely customer/service focussed, one would look at TPEs routes beyond (north of) York and - given a shortfall of crew or trains or anything else that prevents the full advertised service from happening - prioritise their operation as follows

There are three "directions" beyond York:
- Newcastle - also served frequently by XC and LNER
- Middlesbrough (plus Thirsk, Northallerton and the other intermediates) - alternatives only by change at Darlington, which would only necessarily exclude Yarm
- Scarborough - no realistic alternative

Regardless of loadings, fares or other commercial factors - it seems to me that in the event of such a shortage of resource
- Newcastle services should be the first route to be affected - with ticket acceptance and even extra stops arranged with the other TOCs
- Middlesbrough next - ditto - and road provision for Yarm if required
- and Scarborough ought to be the LAST direction to fail to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.