• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you been to the beach? (English experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernchris

Established Member
I did see on JourneyCheck earlier a Preston - Blackpool South service was reported as full

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Durdle Door: Four injured in 200ft cliff jump, prompting police to close packed beach

Helicopters land on sand as coastguard chief slates ‘absolute carnage’ of people failing to social-distance

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...crowd-durdle-door-air-ambulance-a9540656.html
Blimey. I’ve swum through the arch at Durdle Door a good few times and it’s a wonderful place, but even as a wild youth I wouldn’t have ever considered jumping off it into the sea.
Absolute madness.

Bikeman78

Established Member

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's notable that the TOC mentioned was Cross Country, which is known for a certain amount of chaos anyway.

Does anybody know whether South Western Trains also experienced "chaos" on their services to Bournemouth as well ?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It's notable that the TOC mentioned was Cross Country, which is known for a certain amount of chaos anyway.

Does anybody know whether South Western Trains also experienced "chaos" on their services to Bournemouth as well ?

The SWR services all being 10/12 cars probably cope a bit better than the smaller voyager trains which even if doubled up to 8 cars barely have many more seats than a 5 car SWR 444 (think an 8 car voyager has about 40 more seats?) obviously actual number of usable seats is less with social distancing.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The SWR services all being 10/12 cars probably cope a bit better than the smaller voyager trains which even if doubled up to 8 cars barely have many more seats than a 5 car SWR 444 (think an 8 car voyager has about 40 more seats?) obviously actual number of usable seats is less with social distancing.

I must admit, I do fear that Cross Country's well known problems could be interpreted to suggest that non-work rail travel should be surpressed everywhere else.

david1212

Established Member
No.

However without the current situation I would probably have been to Brighton last Monday and Bournemouth today or vice-versa.

From the Bournemouth local paper The Echo plenty did head for Bournemouth resulting in Cross-Country increasing capacity.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/n...nger-surge-bournemouth-another-sunny-weekend/
...a surge in passengers has caused "chaos" for railway services with Bournemouth "at the eye of the storm".

With another hot sunny day on the south coasts, visitors have flocked to Dorset by road and rail on Saturday.

The situation on the trains has forced one franchise provider to seek out more capacity to deal with the increased numbers wanting to travel....

What this does not state is if there was any control of the number of passengers trying to travel, if the capacity was beyond the normal level on a ' fun-size ' four car or if lucky five car voyager or the reduced levels with distancing between each group. After Basingstoke the train can be standing room only and while some may leave at Southampton a greater number will join.

Maybe somebody will be able to report on the actual train formations running.

Edit -
From Realtime Trains something went wrong

SW 10:55 from Southampton departed 10:54
SW 10:00 from Waterloo delayed 32 minutes between Eastleigh and Southampton Airport. Departed Southampton 12:03
XC 07:27 from Manchester delayed 16 minutes departing Southampton Airport. Departed Southampton 12:02
SW 11:55 from Southampton departed 12:05
SW 11:00 from Waterloo departed Southampton 12:34 - 1 minute early

No departure towards Bournemouth for over an hour then three in 4 minutes !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

On Moderation
People have had enough of lockdown end of
Well their selfishness and lack of control risks letting the virus flare up again and condemn us all to a long boring and financially ruinous lockdown this winter

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Well their selfishness and lack of control risks letting the virus flare up again and condemn us all to a long boring and financially ruinous lockdown this winter
Not to mention a large number of additional deaths, together with some very seriously impaired people for life despite having been saved by ventilation. But hey, it’s ok, we’re a bit bored so let’s go to the beach again, drink beer with our mates and assume that we won’t get it, or will be ok if we do, and sod who we give it to whilst we’re asymptomatic.

(Yes there’s a personal interest here, as 20 year old son is still very poorly after 5 weeks, even without hospitalisation. But my response would have been exactly the same even without that too close to home experience.)

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Will there ever be a point where the infection rate will return to something acceptible, or will be condemned to a long, boring and financially ruinous lockdown this winter anyway.

At least we will see in three weeks time whether this incident has had any effect. Better than being in lockdown for perpituity.

Clayton

On Moderation
Will there ever be a point where the infection rate will return to something acceptible, or will be condemned to a long, boring and financially ruinous lockdown this winter anyway.

At least we will see in three weeks time whether this incident has had any effect. Better than being in lockdown for perpituity.
Well cases seem to be disappearing in most countries apart from here and the rather backward US. We’re at risk of becoming pariahs in the world

AlanFry1

A lot of the London - Southend services at LST looked full today. When the shops open in two weeks time, it will be much, much worse on routes into central London, Stratford, Shepherds Bush, Milton Keynes, Liverpool James St, Chafford Hundred and Greenhithe for example

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hardy a surprise considering the watering down of lockdown coupled with the lovely weather.

Perhaps encouraged by the behaviour of a certain Moby lookalike closely associated with the wibbling piñata of averageness we have as a PM? Who knew?

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well cases seem to be disappearing in most countries apart from here and the rather backward US. We’re at risk of becoming pariahs in the world

And yet those countries are relaxing their lock down measures. Italy and Spain don't have zero infections.

Not that we're actually relaxing our lockdown all that much - everything is still outdoors and distanced.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A lot of the London - Southend services at LST looked full today. When the shops open in two weeks time, it will be much, much worse on routes into central London, Stratford, Shepherds Bush, Milton Keynes, Liverpool James St, Chafford Hundred and Greenhithe for example

Perhaps we ought to do what other countries which have had the infection, and which have public transport are doing. Just a thought !

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
So, plenty of people ignoring government and operator advice to only travel on public transport if you need to, and using both train and bus to get there

Well of course, because the government have lost any authority they had.

My country did lockdown properly and so yesterday I went to the beach and got an ice cream (Davison's salted caramel, bloody gorgeous it was too), without breaking any guidelines at all. I don't blame people across doing the same.

Social distancing isn't an option unless we are all going to be kept in our houses until further notice.

Our shops opened a fortnight ago and most people are distancing appropriately. I've gone to the shops most days this week, for various odds and ends, and there was only one bozo in M&S today who wasn"t doing it.

Usual caveats apply about here being on a much smaller scale.

On Moderation
Perhaps we ought to do what other countries which have had the infection, and which have public transport are doing. Just a thought !

Similar to the Dutch - compulsory facemasks on public transport from Monday - as an example ?
Seating capacity reduced by 50%
Social distancing guidelines on are 1.5m.
Keep 4 steps apart on escalators at stations

(info taken from various pages on ns.nl)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Similar to the Dutch - compulsory facemasks on public transport from Monday - as an example ?
Seating capacity reduced by 50%
Social distancing guidelines on are 1.5m.
Keep 4 steps apart on escalators at stations

(info taken from various pages on ns.nl)

Exactly. There might be disagreement between 1m and 1.5m, but it's still a darn sight workable than now.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Definitely this is possible. The UK has just performed very badly - weak / no adoption of masks, not really trying at social distancing, firms moved extraordinarily slowly to prevent close contact inside or install plastic screens etc. Almost all of this is really down to the government.

But this is quite off topic for Bournemouth trains

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Definitely this is possible. The UK has just performed very badly - weak / no adoption of masks, not really trying at social distancing, firms moved extraordinarily slowly to prevent close contact inside or install plastic screens etc. Almost all of this is really down to the government.

But this is quite off topic for Bournemouth trains

I can see your point about adoption of masks (apart from the fact that the trains have been empty over the last two months, so it wouldn't have made a difference anyway), but not really trying at social distancing ?

No one I know has been near anyone for the past two months. Where are all these people who've been fratternising with eachother ?

People are distancing to the stage where they're scared to go out, so where are these infections coming from is the question.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
It sounds like it was very bad down at Bournemouth yesterday. Heard reports from a number of guards of their Bournemouth bound trains being busy, full of groups off for a day at the beach, with no regard for the social distancing guidelines, despite reminders from staff and the BTP. Rather concerning with the good weather looking set to continue.

delt1c

Established Member
People need to think of the potential effect, maybe not directly on them but on others. UK started lockdown to late and lifting to early. It is tough and it is not pleasant but we have to look at the bigger picture and think of the effect "our actions' could have on others later. Scares me to think of the effect of trains running "full" in the current crisis. Come on peeps a little pain and discomfort today could make such a big difference for many tomorrow

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ah "British Common Sense"...

Not that I'm planning to, but what is really frustrating about this is that I know I could probably have a short ride somewhere non-seaside myself and have zero problems social distancing (and if I did I'd just get off the train) on the empty trains I'm seeing.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We can't discount the likelihood that some of those groups were household groups, given the amount of communal living that must go on in London.

TEW

Established Member
That is certainly possible. But too many of them and it becomes difficult for other passengers to keep their distance from them, or for the groups to keep themselves apart. On a long trip it's likely they are going to need to move through the train to use the toilet facilities too, especially if alcohol is involved.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That is certainly possible. But too many of them and it becomes difficult for other passengers to keep their distance from them, or for the groups to keep themselves apart. On a long trip it's likely they are going to need to move through the train to use the toilet facilities too, especially if alcohol is involved.

True. the only thing I could imagine working in that situation would be counting them on the train at Waterloo. Too many, get the next one or go to Bognor instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.