• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you been to the beach? (English experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
It boggles the mind that anyone would want to go to a packed beach right now.

I can't understand why anyone would want to go to a packed beach at any time, not just right now. I'm glad that they do though, as it means we can go to quiet places and can be almost guaranteed that they will remain quiet. For obvious reasons we do not tell the world where 'our' quiet places are.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Fundamentally, if you hate tourists move away from tourist areas. It's not like they haven't been tourist areas for hundreds of years. You do not have to live where you were born, you do have a choice.
Some people like to stay where they were born. Y'know, family connections and all that. Just because a place suddenly becomes touristy (it doesn't need to be over hundreds of years) doesn't mean that the needs of local residents should be overlooked.

To say that you should move from your home if you don't like hoards of people visiting is quite ridiculous - I'd suggest that if you're planning to visit any tourist hotspot, you should take into account the fact that some people do actually live and work there.

theironroad

Established Member
I consider myself lucky. I live by the seaside and it doesn't hold any great pull as it is always there. So I go to the countryside, like today, and only saw one other person, a nice gentleman to pass a 20 minute conversation with. No crowds to contend with.

Oh dear, oh dear the covid police will be visiting shortly as it sounds like you met one other person who is not a member of your household in a public area.

Glad you enjoyed it ! :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Some people like to stay where they were born. Y'know, family connections and all that. Just because a place suddenly becomes touristy (it doesn't need to be over hundreds of years) doesn't mean that the needs of local residents should be overlooked.

To say that you should move from your home if you don't like hoards of people visiting is quite ridiculous - I'd suggest that if you're planning to visit any tourist hotspot, you should take into account the fact that some people do actually live and work there.

I'm sorry, we will have to disagree. The area you live in isn't yours personally and you simply cannot expect others not to choose to visit it if it is attractive in some way. That is simply not how it works.

I'm sure the inhabitants of Cornwall enjoyed walking on deserted local beaches in what was quite nice April weather, but that is not something they have any form of entitlement to whatsoever, that simply isn't how it works.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm sorry, we will have to disagree. The area you live in isn't yours personally and you simply cannot expect others not to choose to visit it if it is attractive in some way. That is simply not how it works.

Basically how we ended up with Brexit. The people that think the bit of street in front of their house is their own private parking space.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I've been to the beach, but that's simply because I live a half hours walk away. That said it was very busy on Wednesday Afternoon about 4pm with the heat. But Everyone I saw appeared to be local and out enjoying the weather.

Went to Orwell country park today - it has a beach and social distancing was fine. In fact on parts I was the only one on the beach.

Attachments

• 04783511-82A0-4565-9A09-E97AAA8BD3FC.jpeg
    04783511-82A0-4565-9A09-E97AAA8BD3FC.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 36

Djgr

Established Member
Went to Orwell country park today - it has a beach and social distancing was fine. In fact on parts I was the only one on the beach.
Send that picture in to the Daily Mail. They won't publish it because it doesn't gel with the hysterical narrative.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm looking down on Cayton Sands (Osgodby) now; glorious weather and vast sandy beaches with hardly anyone on them.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
FE29A4A0-457F-4D28-AA7C-A4C100F05E4E.jpeg

Where’s that then?
Not UK I cheated. Hilton Head Island South Carolina- took the wife away for holiday weekend as she was getting very down. I have booked a flight for her though from Atlanta to Manchester and she arrives June 7th early morning where she will self isolate-quarantine for 14 days in Preston. Travels back to USA early August.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
View attachment 78403

Not UK I cheated. Hilton Head Island South Carolina- took the wife away for holiday weekend as she was getting very down. I have booked a flight for her though from Atlanta to Manchester and she arrives June 7th early morning where she will self isolate-quarantine for 14 days in Preston. Travels back to USA early August.
Ah ok. Looks pretty pleasant there. Is it too early for a cocktail..?

BJames

Established Member

Gathursty

Established Member
I'm not stupid enough to drive to Formby or Southport during the day. Instead, I've been once to the beach near Hightown in the evening which was pretty empty, pretty windy and delightful after not seeing the sea in about 3 months.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I went to the beach one day over the weekend. I drove the country route and I passed 3 stationary police cars en-route, each at a different location, presumably with nothing better to do. I couldn't see any cameras so can't say if they were bored and hoping to catch someone speeding. It's on a route I know very well and there are usually, never any police cars parked up

The beach was virtually empty so for me, it was well worth a day out and a deserved break from work

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Just bear this in mind...

Chief Executive of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution has written an open letter as the lifting of restrictions in England has put the RNLI in an impossible situation - to choose whether to put our lifeguards or the public at risk.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Despite our warnings that there were no lifeguards on patrol this weekend, crowded beaches, hot weather and big waves meant our lifeboat crews had their busiest weekend so far this year.At least two people lost their lives.
This puts the RNLI in an impossible situation. With thousands flocking to English beaches now lockdown restrictions have been eased, we must strike a balance that keeps the public and our lifeguards safe.

Safety advice and warnings will only go so far when people are desperate to enjoy some freedom after weeks of lockdown. But, as a lifesaving charity, the RNLI cannot stop people going to beaches.

Rolling out a lifeguard service – especially in a pandemic – is not as simple as putting a lifeguard on a beach. We found out about the easing of lockdown restrictions in England at the same time and in the same way as the general public. Contrast that with shops, which were given three weeks’ notice and even car showrooms have been given 7-days warning to prepare.

We have to work out how to do in-water rescues and give first aid – normally conducted at close quarters and often with people coughing up water. We have to find PPE that will work on a beach and in the water – visors and aprons are no good on a rescue board. And we have to train our lifeguards in procedures to reduce the risk of infection. All this takes time and we learnt of the lifting of restrictions at the same time as everyone else.

Lifesaving is our priority. But the fundamental sustainability of the charity is also a consideration. Local authorities contribute just 20% of the £20M needed to pay for a normal lifeguard season – the remaining £16M comes from RNLI donations. Right now, our charity faces an expected £45M shortfall in funding by the end of the year because many of our fundraising activities have had to stop.

No-one is to blame for the situation we find ourselves in. We’re asking everyone to help manage an impossible situation, so please follow our safety advice and think before you head to the coast.

Signed,
Mark Dowie

RNLI Chief Executive

Key facts about the RNLI
The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates over 238 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and more than 240 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK and Channel Islands. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives.
Source: https://rnli.org/news-and-media/202...mark-dowie-writes-open-letter-during-pandemic

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not touched sand in 3 months apart from the load of sand in the alleyway near mine (Not a ginnel as the context is wrong!)

Might go later in summer of a quieter weekday evening when most people can't be bothered to leave home after a day's work.

cuccir

Established Member
Just to follow up as the starter of this thread: we did end up on the beach on Monday. Car park was busy, but we chose somewehre where we knew that parking facilities would facilitate social distancing (wide spaces, grassy banks behind cars, no toilets, no parking fees), and the beach access is wide with multiple access points. The beach itself, which is several miles long, was big enough to be quiet - I spent a good half an hour booting a 'floaty' football as hard as I could into the wind and letting it role back to me, which gives a sense of the space available!

Did three seaside, riverside beaches yesterday- shingle street - more people than I expected but social distancing no problems.
Bawdsey quay loo’s open not as busy as expected social distancing no problem- camper vans!
Woodbridge busy but social distancing ok.
Loo’s open and cafes as takeaway’s.

Starmill

Veteran Member
With another hot sunny day on the south coasts, visitors have flocked to Dorset by road and rail on Saturday.

The situation on the trains has forced one franchise provider to seek out more capacity to deal with the increased numbers wanting to travel, according to a union.

Some CrossCountry services were over-formed between Southampton Central and Bournemouth this afternoon as a result of a "surge" of passengers travelling to Bournemouth today and reported "overcrowding".

Is it just Bournemouth or has there been an effect elsewhere?

alex397

Established Member
Stagecoach South East have had to put on extra buses to cater for the visitors to Camber beach, in East Sussex, according to their Twitter today:

"#Rye to #Camber and #Camber to #Rye because of the volume of people heading to #Camber Beaches we have put a relief bus to do shuttles to and from #Rye station and #Camber Sands and visa versa available from 15.15 heading towards #Rye until 18.15"

So, plenty of people ignoring government and operator advice to only travel on public transport if you need to, and using both train and bus to get there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.