• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you ever come across anyone in a workplace with a similar sense of entitlement as this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbwxm

we have an on site restaurant, fish and chip shop, papa johns, Starbucks and an ice cream truck which whilst we do get a discount I would never have the time to eat there.
However, we do have a microwave, tea urn, toaster and sandwich maker in our department though. Complemented with a fridge and freezer. Plenty of cutlery and crockery too.

Are you a civil servant based in Gloucestershire perchance?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesbwxm

Only place I've ever worked with a proper canteen was Airbus. The month I was contracting there I must have put on a stone with a full english every day.

Place I've worked for the last 14 years you're lucky to get a working kettle. The vans that deliver food aren't particularly nice either.

HOOVER29

The company I work at provides a canteen although they call it a restaurant. The food served in there is everything they sell online and is very good quality. When I/we cook it it’s top notch & very tasty.
When it’s been through the canteens cooker however, for some reason it’s anything but.
I’ve no idea what they do to it but when someone pays £3.50 for a Sunday roast which looks very nicely presented and then leaves almost the whole lot it says everything.
Luckily I take my own pack up and have done so since the end of the first week by which time my digestive system had had enough.
Been there 3 years now.
I also share the dining hall with another 100 or so persons.
Percentage wise
Around 20% are English,
Around 50% are Romanian,
Around 10% are Russian,
The remainder are Lithuanian, Bulgarian, a few Syrians & a couple of newbies from Poland.
In general it’s a well behaved canteen although certain nationalities have questionable eating habits.
Won’t go in to details but Renie indigestion tablets must be popular.
By the time I’ve gotten halfway through a sandwich a fair few full lunches have been scoffed and they’re all chuffing away in the smoke hut on their probably their second tab.
Then they go around at breakneck speed in the workplace & complain they have indigestion.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The ethnic makeup is interesting. I don't know about Romanians, but in Germany it is normal (though reducing) to take a long break for a full sit-down lunch at midday, and to have a much lighter meal in the evening, i.e. swapping our lunch and dinner over. This also used to be a north-south difference in the UK, hence breakfast, dinner and tea vs breakfast, lunch and dinner (it's the big, hot, sit down meal that gets called dinner in both cases). In Germany the evening meal is called "Abendbrot" (evening bread), implying something small like a sandwich. Perhaps Romanians are similar?

175mph

On Moderation
The company I work at provides a canteen although they call it a restaurant. The food served in there is everything they sell online and is very good quality. When I/we cook it it’s top notch & very tasty.
When it’s been through the canteens cooker however, for some reason it’s anything but.
I’ve no idea what they do to it but when someone pays £3.50 for a Sunday roast which looks very nicely presented and then leaves almost the whole lot it says everything.
Luckily I take my own pack up and have done so since the end of the first week by which time my digestive system had had enough.
Been there 3 years now.
I also share the dining hall with another 100 or so persons.
Percentage wise
Around 20% are English,
Around 50% are Romanian,
Around 10% are Russian,
The remainder are Lithuanian, Bulgarian, a few Syrians & a couple of newbies from Poland.
In general it’s a well behaved canteen although certain nationalities have questionable eating habits.
Won’t go in to details but Renie indigestion tablets must be popular.
By the time I’ve gotten halfway through a sandwich a fair few full lunches have been scoffed and they’re all chuffing away in the smoke hut on their probably their second tab.
Then they go around at breakneck speed in the workplace & complain they have indigestion.
I've knew already not to expect cooked food as standard in a workplace before I started at my first ever job, in a factory, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this particular place did offer cooked food on site for lunch, so on my lunch break, I visited the canteen and ordered a roast beef and vegetables meal and it when presented to me, it looked more suited to a dog's lunch but the actual taste was excellent.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've knew already not to expect cooked food as standard in a workplace before I started at my first ever job, in a factory, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this particular place did offer cooked food on site for lunch, so on my lunch break, I visited the canteen and ordered a roast beef and vegetables meal and it when presented to me, it looked more suited to a dog's lunch but the actual taste was excellent.

Substance over style. Just what I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.