• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
No ticket check on Scotrail this Morning.

Is this Company Policy or is it time to look out the white feathers ?

DDB

I've mostly stopped posting in this thread as ticket checks are now absolutely routine on my EMR local commute. Today there was even electronic checking of robin hood card season tickets. I took 4 Northern trains the weekend before new national lockdown and was checked on 3 out of 4.

In Nottingham itself we still have the usual nonsense of the barriers in operation on the main entrance with lots of staff milling about while all the other entrances are unbarried and unstaffed.

Also Nottingham tram revenue protection are still riding aroind on the trams doing absolutely nothing apart from taking up space that could be used for passenger social distancing!

In Nottingham itself we still have the usual nonsense of the barriers in operation on the main entrance with lots of staff milling about while all the other entrances are unbarried and unstaffed.
I believe (though not 100% sure and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the other entrances are unchecked because they are the route of a public footpath and the council won't allow checks
The footpath was until around 1990 on a footbridge that had no steps on to the platform,when that bridge was demolished the footpath was transferred to the present footbridge

DDB

I believe (though not 100% sure and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the other entrances are unchecked because they are the route of a public footpath and the council won't allow checks
The footpath was until around 1990 on a footbridge that had no steps on to the platform,when that bridge was demolished the footpath was transferred to the present footbridge
I think you are probably right but in that case I wish they would leave the barriers open. With them closed they do nothing to stop fare evaders with even the smallest amount of local knowledge. They just annoy actual ticket holders who have to faff about with tickets when they are trying to use thier hands to carry stuff on thier way to/from the train.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was surprised to have my ticket manually checked at Euston today on arrival off an Avanti service.

I don't think I've ever experienced this at Euston off an "Inter-City" service even going as far back as BR days.

scotrail158713

Established Member
No ticket checks on the train with Scotrail today. There were staff at Edinburgh Waverley checking though, with the barriers in operation at the barrier platforms.

Butts

Veteran Member
No ticket checks on the train with Scotrail today. There were staff at Edinburgh Waverley checking though, with the barriers in operation at the barrier platforms.

There have not been any checks since March on my journeys between Falkirk and Edinburgh/Glasgow

Chriso

On Thursday I took the 10:46 London Euston to Crewe on LNW and was surprised the guard came around doing a full ticket check around Atherstone and was making quite a bit of money in sales

From what I can gather the following operators are still not doing onboard checks

. Greater Anglia
. All GTR franchises
. South Eastern
. C2C
. Scotrail
. Transport for Wales
. Chiltern Railways

I think all other operators are allowing it although does seem sporadic and up to guard

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Was surprised to have my ticket manually checked at Euston today on arrival off an Avanti service.

I don't think I've ever experienced this at Euston off an "Inter-City" service even going as far back as BR days.
That's a bit odd.
Did they check them onboard?

_toommm_

Established Member
On Thursday I took the 10:46 London Euston to Crewe on LNW and was surprised the guard came around doing a full ticket check around Atherstone and was making quite a bit of money in sales

From what I can gather the following operators are still not doing onboard checks

. Greater Anglia
. All GTR franchises
. South Eastern
. C2C
. Scotrail
. Transport for Wales
. Cross country

I think all other operators are allowing it although does seem sporadic and up to guard
I’ve been checked quite a few times on XC.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've not had any on train checks with Chiltern since March, not sure if it's coincidence but seems unlikely

Chriso

I've not had any on train checks with Chiltern since March, not sure if it's coincidence but seems unlikely

Can’t believe I forgot them I actually live on the route and have also not had a check since March. I have been to Birmingham a few times in the last two months and the guards who I have seen have only been interested in masks not tickets . List amended

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
That's a bit odd.
Did they check them onboard?
Unsure what service @Mag_seven was on but the RPO team have been doing this for a few weeks now.
I can only guess this is down to issues that are being encountered on trains (especially via West Midlands trains) with ticket irregularities that cannot be dealt with by the TM.

cockneyviking

Tickets checked on departure after every stop on 09:00 Liverpool Street to Norwich on Monday 30th Nov

eastwestdivide

Established Member
A couple of weeks ago, first train of the day from Sheffield to London (essential journey), I asked the ticket collector after Derby whether her job was easier or harder with less passengers but more to deal with. She said there were 20 people on the entire train, of whom 4 needed tickets selling to them!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
When I travelled from home to uni, I had my tickets checked on the EMR service to Sheffield and the subsequent Northern service to Manchester.

Butts

Veteran Member

. Greater Anglia
. All GTR franchises
. South Eastern
. C2C
. Scotrail
. Transport for Wales
. Chiltern Railways

This is ridiculous it should be all or nothing !!!

On Scotrail (no checks since March) it's a Fare Dodgers Paradise outwith barrier protected areas.

And they want a pay rise !!!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
TfW still not doing any ticket checks whatsoever. Yes okay Cardiff Central, Cardiff Queen Street and Cathays have gates in operation (the latter only on the down side) but every other station is a free for all. The occasional RPI check has been in place at VoG stations such as Grangetown, Cadoxton and Barry Docks (the areas prone to fare evasion) but local Cardiff stations such as on the City Line and in the Heath/Llanishen area are a free for all!

NoMorePacers

Established Member
TfW still not doing any ticket checks whatsoever. Yes okay Cardiff Central, Cardiff Queen Street and Cathays have gates in operation (the latter only on the down side) but every other station is a free for all. The occasional RPI check has been in place at VoG stations such as Grangetown, Cadoxton and Barry Docks (the areas prone to fare evasion) but local Cardiff stations such as on the City Line and in the Heath/Llanishen area are a free for all!
TfW's policy of "no leaving the cab/nearest door vestibule" for their guards does seem rather silly to be honest (especially given both EMR and Northern, TOCs with a similar type of network to TfW, have restarted ticket checks).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
No ticket check on either the 13:04 2-car TfW from East Didsbury to Manchester Airport or the 18:59 3-car Northern from Manchester Airport to Burnage today (I was not flying out - only having a walk round the area!)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
TfW's policy of "no leaving the cab/nearest door vestibule" for their guards does seem rather silly to be honest (especially given both EMR and Northern, TOCs with a similar type of network to TfW, have restarted ticket checks).

Even Pontypridd did not have barriers in operation at 3pm yesterday, which was ridiculous!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Even Pontypridd did not have barriers in operation at 3pm yesterday, which was ridiculous!

To be fair, the COVID rates in the Welsh Valleys are off-the-scale high, well into the dark purple on the map, whereas most of the Northern area is still heavily on the down and likely to move from tier 3 to tier 2 when they change next week. So they probably do require different measures.

I seem to recall that Welsh law also mandates a higher level of employer protection than English law does.

spark001uk

Established Member
AT LAST.!!!!
Can confirm I've just had the first on board check since March! On a swr stopper to pompey no less. And I've done some travelling let me tell you.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Last Saturday ticket check on a 745 from Liverpool Street towards Chelmsford (even asked to see my gold card)
Plus on a pair of 444s from Waterloo towards Basingstoke (although more a case of making sure you were sitting in the right potion if you wanted any stations beyond Bournemouth).

Status
Not open for further replies.