• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hayes and Harlington - Driver Not Guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

I'm pleased to have heard that the Driver in this case has been found Not Guilty.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/up...guilty-after-woman-is-dragged-along-platform/

However the case does raise some serious questions.

Firstly, a lot seemed to ride on whether he performed the process correctly. Had he lowered the cab side window and stuck his head out so as to be seen on CCTV whilst checking the monitors, would the case have been brought at all?

Secondly, what sort of precedent does this verdict set? Will the CPS and other bodies continue to bring prosecutions where it cannot be conclusively proved that the driver didn't complete the checks properly.

Hopefully, the failure of the CPS to secure the verdict they were looking for will bring a move towards a "just culture" system, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I'm pleased to have heard that the Driver in this case has been found Not Guilty.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/up...guilty-after-woman-is-dragged-along-platform/

However the case does raise some serious questions.

Firstly, a lot seemed to ride on whether he performed the process correctly. Had he lowered the cab side window and stuck his head out so as to be seen on CCTV whilst checking the monitors, would the case have been brought at all?

Secondly, what sort of precedent does this verdict set? Will the CPS and other bodies continue to bring prosecutions where it cannot be conclusively proved that the driver didn't complete the checks properly.

Hopefully, the failure of the CPS to secure the verdict they were looking for will bring a move towards a "just culture" system, though I wouldn't bet on it.
Excellent news. Another malicious and expensive failure by the CPS. Can he claim compensation like the irresponsible passenger did?

Status
Not open for further replies.