• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Haymarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfc3024

I see that the revamped Haymarket officially opens today. Has anyone experienced it yet?

It must be better than before and will be a huge improvement. I have not seen the plans or any photos yet, but understand that there is a new concourse. I'm looking forward to a visit soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cal

I use it daily. It's such a huge improvement. There is actually space to wait inside now - the bit above the platforms is two or three times wider than the last one. No teething problems when I used it this morning (and they even gave out free cakes :)), and I imagine it will be even better once complete.

marks87

Established Member
It's a vast improvement. A great example of what can be done in a relatively small space.

Whenever I've travelled to Edinburgh for the airport, I've always got off at Waverley and caught the 100 bus on North Bridge (even though it goes past Haymarket). But once the trams start, I'd feel more inclined to change at Haymarket.

I'm guessing people of a similar mindset are making up a chunk of the anticipated increase in passenger numbers.

railjock

Downside is there is no access at the Distillery Lane side. That would be handy for a lot of people.

clc

Established Member
Downside is there is no access at the Distillery Lane side. That would be handy for a lot of people.

NR say the issue with Distillery Lane is it has a number of private owners. However, the works don't preclude an entrance being built at some future point.

cal

How long before they start cluttering it up with the infernal retail 'opportunities'?

M&S move in next year. There's a coffee stand (other side of barriers) and a cafe (platform 4). I'd imagine they'll try to fit a newsagents or something in as well.

Callum J

Whenever I've travelled to Edinburgh for the airport, I've always got off at Waverley and caught the 100 bus on North Bridge (even though it goes past Haymarket). But once the trams start, I'd feel more inclined to change at Haymarket.
Ultimately you'll be able to alight at Edinburgh Gateway station (Gogar) and connect with the tram to the airport there. But alas, that station is still a few years away from completion, I believe.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Ultimately you'll be able to alight at Edinburgh Gateway station (Gogar) and connect with the tram to the airport there. But alas, that station is still a few years away from completion, I believe.

Or Edinburgh Park on the line to Glasgow (but the trains via Falkirk High don't stop).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think it's part of EGIP, once Dunblane services are going via Gateway?

clc

Established Member
I think it's part of EGIP, once Dunblane services are going via Gateway?

Dunblane services can't go via Gateway without the Dalmeny Chord which was cancelled when EGIP was de-scoped.

Or Edinburgh Park on the line to Glasgow (but the trains via Falkirk High don't stop).

Which basically means the only stations on this route NOT served with trains to Edinburgh park are Falkirk high and Croy (Glasgow Queen st has 4 tph direct to Edinburgh park (2 of them fast). Falkirk High has the nearby alternatives of Grahamston and Polmont and it is permitted to change at Haymarket for passengers travelling from Croy (and Q st HL). E&Gs not stopping at Edinburgh park is really not the big issue some MSPs would have you think it is.

route:oxford

Established Member
Which basically means the only stations on this route NOT served with trains to Edinburgh park are Falkirk high and Croy (Glasgow Queen st has 4 tph direct to Edinburgh park (2 of them fast). Falkirk High has the nearby alternatives of Grahamston and Polmont and it is permitted to change at Haymarket for passengers travelling from Croy (and Q st HL). E&Gs not stopping at Edinburgh park is really not the big issue some MSPs would have you think it is.

That's because the MSPs don't work at Edinburgh Park.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I felt a little sad seeing the doors of the 'old' building locked shut.
When I looked through the windows of the 'old' building (where the ticket office, machines and barriers were), there was old masonry, old bricks and mortar, other debris and general rubble strewn over the floor looking like a demolition in progress; but astonishingly, the ticket machines were still there with builders dust all over them!

PaulLothian

Had my first view yesterday afternoon - I agree it it will be much better in many ways than the old station. But it was incredibly cold in there! The west wind blows straight up the stairs, and the temperature was about the same as on the platform. I rather wonder what it will be like in summer with all the glass! ScotRail home-grown tomatoes, anyone?

Gadget88

When I looked through the windows of the 'old' building (where the ticket office, machines and barriers were), there was old masonry, old bricks and mortar, other debris and general rubble strewn over the floor looking like a demolition in progress; but astonishingly, the ticket machines were still there with builders dust all over them!

Had my first view yesterday afternoon - I agree it it will be much better in many ways than the old station. But it was incredibly cold in there! The west wind blows straight up the stairs, and the temperature was about the same as on the platform. I rather wonder what it will be like in summer with all the glass! ScotRail home-grown tomatoes, anyone?

What's the plans for the old building anyway? Would make a great large waiting room area maybe in a smaller space it would be better heated?

Blindtraveler

Established Member

I agree its a bit sad but they really cant hang around with the old bit at the mo, the posetion of both track and near by roads to allow the old bridge to be wripped out, I assume in bits starts at 22:00 today and they gotta have it all working by Boxing Day. I think the refurb of whats left will indeed include a wating area, hopefully some nicer toilets and I'd guess a new WH Ripoff! Agree with Paul Re temperature issues on new concourse, bad design by an architect with his bum in London and his head in the tropics!↲

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
BTW any issues with the new Escalaters? Curiouse as the last Edinburgh Escalater project completed by this contracter, the ones at Waverley Steps wasnt a huge success in terms of reliabilitty and indeed still isnt. I also hope the lifts in the old bridge, which are only a cupple years old are reused elsewhere!↲

dalmahoyhill

That's because the lane is private so NR couldn't get access agreed. I used it on Thursday and capacity wise it is much better. It still isn't finished yet, there is plenty of snagging to be done. Does anyone know what they are planning to do with the old station building?

I always thought the old station was a fire risk, I couldn't see how you would clear the platforms at rush hour in a fire

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The old building is listed and was the original terminus of the line to Glasgow. I hope a sympathetic use is planned/found.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Built on time and on budget? Not good news for the anti HS2 mob that can't believe such things are possible...

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I passed by again today and realise that today (Xmas Eve) is far from typical, but was struck by the vast disparity between the great capacity of the new concourse and the tiny trickle of passengers - typically there was about 0.2 passengers per escalator, and less than 2 passengers per 100sq meters of floor space.

Still, it is nice to see that it opened on time, with frontage leading right into a tram stop, providing frequent onward travel on Edinburgh's notoriously magical and invisible transit (Well, JK Rowling is an Edinburgh visionary).

Status
Not open for further replies.