• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Head of NR Annonces he won`t accept his bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Its just been announced on BBC1 NEWS that Iain Coucher the chief of Network Rail will not be accepting his bonus which was £306,000 last year.

Good for him, however thats only one of the bonuses he is entitled to,there are others according to the press.

Pity some of the other Directors at NR still have their noses in the trough,
reward for failure comes to mind,amongst others,

LilLoaf

Yeah right, wont except his bonus. What a load of rubbish !

Publicity stunt !

The Planner

Veteran Member
He isnt accepting the general bonus which he gets, he is however still keeping his long term incentive plan bonus which all the higher end managers and directors get.

me123

Established Member
Yeah right, wont except his bonus. What a load of rubbish !

Publicity stunt !

If he did accept his bonus, I can assure you that people like yourself would be moaning about the state of the economy, how many trains were not on time, engineering disruptions and so on. I suppose some people'll never be happy, though.

GB

Established Member
Maybe the bonus that he is refusing should be shared out amoung the lower NR employees who do do a decent job! Yeah like thats ever gonna happen:roll:

LilLoaf

The ideal thing to do with people like managers is to cut there pay. The country is in a bad enough state as it is without managers getting 3 figure salarys just to go in meetings all day and come out of them again having agreed nothing.

The guy probably works less hours than any of us on here anyway. Do we get 3 figure salerys, eh no.

ukrob

Established Member
The ideal thing to do with people like managers is to cut there pay. The country is in a bad enough state as it is without managers getting 3 figure salarys just to go in meetings all day and come out of them again having agreed nothing.

The guy probably works less hours than any of us on here anyway. Do we get 3 figure salerys, eh no.

You do realise if you cut the pay then people will just leave for another job with a higher salary? I'm not defending the guy because I don't know him, but you seem to have a pretty poor idea of what a chief executives workload is like. I would bet he works more hours than most people on this site.

Anyway, I get the impression you have already made your mind up and have a hatred of the guy for some reason.

So my question to you is would you still be complaining if he accepted his bonus? It is a yes/no answer I'm looking for :)

EM2

Established Member
Pity some of the other Directors at NR still have their noses in the trough,
reward for failure comes to mind,amongst others,

What failure? Delays at an all-time low, punctuality and customer satisfaction at an all-time high.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Maybe the bonus that he is refusing should be shared out amoung the lower NR employees who do do a decent job! Yeah like thats ever gonna happen:roll:
Why? Network Rail staff already get a bonus if the company meets their targets.
And £306, 000 doesn't go very far shared between 35,000 people!

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Why? Network Rail staff already get a bonus if the company meets their targets.
And £306, 000 doesn't go very far shared between 35,000 people!

Only £8 each, but as a "token" statement I'm sure it would be welcomed by the people concerned.

Metroland

Established Member
I think the lowest Network rail staff get at least a £900 bonus per year.

As for Iain Coucher giving up his bonus, its quite laudable considering he wants to talk about the company success stories, instead of press quotes he is the highest paid public servant. As I've said before, the railways really do need to start blowing their own trumpets more.

NR seems to be going in the right direction, certainly a lot more keen on R&D and innovative design, certainly far more the Railtrack who just wanted to 'sweat the assets'. There seems to be a lot of new kit going in, and things do seem to be improving. There's lots to do still, with the average age of track being 27.1 years, reduced from over 30 after NR started accelerating track replacement, and there's still plenty of branch lines with rail from the 1920s/30s - though the book life is 30-70 years depending on loads. Plus NR has a lot of 1960s PSBs going steadily out of date (and 1970s/80s ones for that matter), so that's going to be the big challenge and the 7 day railway, plus crossrail.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It wont be £900 unless the figures have suddenly improved over the last period. The maximum we can get is £1200 if everything maxes out I think, cant remember without looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.