• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heald Green (HDG) to Workington (WKG) FC Fare Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald2007

It has been the case for sometime that it was possible to pickup some good First Class fares from HDG to WKG and vv.

The routing was HDG-PRE (TP) PRE-CAR (VT) and finally CAR-WKG (NT).

These fares meant it was possible to "escape" TP for the whole journey and get the better VT service especially on the weekday southbound Breakfast Services from Carlisle (08:49 etc).

I have noticed that these have thinned to almost zero or purely off-peak services and no Fridays.

When I posted an issue establishing a Edinburgh fare via Glasgow Central a member helpfully assisted me in using the avoid/via double function to book what I wanted. Therefore I am wondering if it might be possible to leverage one of these tricks to help with my Heald Green fare.

The issue seems to be from both TP retimings and fewer TP services that call at HDG from PRE. I remember during the summer season last year it was basically impossible to get a good routing vs the summer. But I do wonder if the fares are still there.

So if anyone can give me some tips, no matter how small then perhaps I can understand the situation or better yet, book one of these fares.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

donald2007

I would like to bump this thread to see if anyone might have any ideas or tips to help construct the Advance fare on this routing and RT.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Is there a specific service you are trying to book on? At first glance, there seems to be plenty of availability of first class advances on that route.

John @ home

Established Member
Using virgintrainseastcoast.com and searching for Workington to Heald Green on Monday 21 September leaving after 0700, I am offered a £52.50 First Class Advance single with this itinerary:

07:39 Workington - Carlisle 08:33
08:49 Carlisle - Preston (Lancs) 09:56 Restaurant in First Class only
10:12 Preston (Lancs) - Heald Green 11:06.

Does this help?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.