• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Health and Safety at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railwayboffin

If someone reports a Close Call or Near Miss can this prevent progression in the rail industry in the future?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gemz91

By reporting a "near miss," someone who has walked across the line in front of you, certainly would not harm progression in the railway. If anything, by not reporting a near miss it would be harming your chances of progression.

Unless you mean something else when you say a near miss?

heedfan

If you end up with something on your safety of the line record as a result of an investigation then that will follow you around, but whether that is likely to prevent progression depends on the incident and what jobs you are interested in. It's hard to give you more specific advice than that unless you are more specific about the exact circumstances.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I mean if someone reports a close call on an action caused by the person wishing to progress.

Have you something specific to report? Then you are duty-bound to report it

Or, have you done something and worried that someone is going to report you?

If it's safety-critical then I wouldn't be surprised if the incident went on record

Gemz91

I mean if someone reports a close call on an action caused by the person wishing to progress.

Can you give an example of what a "close call on an action caused by the person" is? I literally have no idea what you are asking here. Do you mean if someone has cocked up and not reported themselves but someone else reported them?

Railwayboffin

Person A will report person B for an act they see as a close call. Person A has just been told they will receive a telling off and no further action will be taken. Will this still affect their career for safety critical roles?

Gemz91

If no written documentation has been taken and its just a verbal "don't do it again" I can't see it effecting their chance of progression. If its a verbal telling off and no theres no record of it, there's no reason why anyone would remember/know it happened.

ChrisRS

Would you want someone to progress further in the rail industry by not reporting a close call or near miss?

Railwayboffin

It has been reported as a close call and will be investigated so is it the outcome of the investigation whether or not it could affect progression?

I think a more fitting question is if you see something, and fail to report and it happens again, and results in someone getting hurt or worse. Could your conscious handle it ??

Stigy

Established Member
It has been reported as a close call and will be investigated so is it the outcome of the investigation whether or not it could affect progression?
If an incident is being investigated, nobody can say 100% what the outcome will be, and shouldn’t really be telling you that you WILL just get a telling off etc. Unless the person saying this is the person conducting the investigation, and any outcome is solely theirs to make.

Tomnick

Established Member
I think there’s some confusion here. I’m guessing, by the reference to “close call” that the OP means someone putting a report in about an unsafe system of work or another employee or contractor doing something unsafe - Network Rail were certainly big on it - rather than a near miss in the sense that traincrew are probably more familiar with. I guess the fear is that putting reports in can leave you seen as a troublemaker? I’d imagine and hope that it’s a completely unfounded fear, especially away from the world of contractors!

A previous employer defined a “close call” as (words to the effect of) something that could have caused injury or worse if circumstances had been slightly different - so something like a contractor not wearing proper PPE or a trip hazard in an office or scaffolding that was overdue an inspection would all fall in the scope of the reporting system even though there hadn’t actually been any hint of drama.

Stigy

Established Member
I think there’s some confusion here. I’m guessing, by the reference to “close call” that the OP means someone putting a report in about an unsafe system of work or another employee or contractor doing something unsafe - Network Rail were certainly big on it - rather than a near miss in the sense that traincrew are probably more familiar with. I guess the fear is that putting reports in can leave you seen as a troublemaker? I’d imagine and hope that it’s a completely unfounded fear, especially away from the world of contractors!

A previous employer defined a “close call” as (words to the effect of) something that could have caused injury or worse if circumstances had been slightly different - so something like a contractor not wearing proper PPE or a trip hazard in an office or scaffolding that was overdue an inspection would all fall in the scope of the reporting system even though there hadn’t actually been any hint of drama.
Agreed. If anything, having experience of reporting matters can aid at interview times as there’s often the odd question on this.

If the issue is that the op’s friend was reported and investigated, that may be where he confusion lies. In which case, it MAY indeed have an impact on future employees depending on the nature of the incident and its outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.