• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heat related issues (25 July 2019 and subsequent days)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Please can we take a moment to think of, and thank our hardworking colleagues at every TOC today, Network Rail and the British Transport Police who are really stretched and trying to move heaven and earth against all odds to keep us moving today. Well done and thank you.

tsr

Established Member
Considering they've been stuck on the train 3 hours, why didn't they do that sooner??

In this case an evacuation train was identified quickly and I believe it was hoped this would be quicker and safer. There were also some people who were identified as being unlikely to be able to walk trackside.

big_dirt

So it sounds like wires sagging, - maybe caused by one or more droppers failing. There would have been a flashover when the sagging wire(s) touched something that was grounded (most likely a train) and a spark or two has caused a grass fire. The flashover isn't an 'explosion' and probably wouldn't have caused much more damage than some pitting of the wires at the point of contact before the feeder switchgear removed the supply.

Do you think they will be back to normal tomorrow? I am flying out of Luton.

underbank

Established Member
In this case an evacuation train was identified quickly and I believe it was hoped this would be quicker and safer. There were also some people who were identified as being unlikely to be able to walk trackside.

Does it really take over 2 hours to evacuate one train to another?

Saint66

MML unable to get ticket acceptance on either ECML or WCML due to issues on both. Blanket advice of do not travel as you would expect.

gazzaa2

Please can we take a moment to think of, and thank our hardworking colleagues at every TOC today, Network Rail and the British Transport Police who are really stretched and trying to move heaven and earth against all odds to keep us moving today. Well done and thank you.

Heroes. So many doing a fantastic job in trying circumstances.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Not normally, no. I’ve known it done in 15 minutes with a fairly busy train.

Every case is different for various and obvious reasons. The industry is a heck of a lot more aware of the issues than in the past. There will no doubt be a review on this one , I know - I have chaired a few o them when we did not perform as well as we should have , in the past.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Do you think they will be back to normal tomorrow? I am flying out of Luton.

The key question is "what time" ? - remember with problems at Camden , Belsize Park , West Anglia and Great Northern - there are severe pressures on OLE team resources this evening and overnight.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Where is the like button?!

Fantastic post.

Silver Cobra

Currently at Stevenage, with an Azuma sat on platform 2 (1604 departure to Kings Cross) and an HST on platform 4 (Aberdeen service). Looks like the ECML is at just as much of a standstill as the MML/WCML.

bramling

Veteran Member
What a sensible suggestion!

All in all it’s a great week not to be at work.

Or for it to be one’s once-a-year week of early turns. I had a lovely journey in (at, er, 0440), and the journey home wasn’t too bad - albeit it could be seen the job was in the early stages of going up the wall.

Surprisingly, from my observations there were quite a few family day outs to London in progress. Bet a few of these may be regretting it now.

Still, what was predicted by various people on here proved to be bang on the money.

danpick

1E16 1300 Edinburgh - Kings Cross sat down at Retford, KGX Thunderbird being sent to rescue it. 1F87 1559 Peterborough - Newcastle at a stand at Peterborough having had wires come down on it.

vinnym70

The key question is "what time" ? - remember with problems at Camden , Belsize Park , West Anglia and Great Northern - there are severe pressures on OLE team resources this evening and overnight.

Few thunderstorms into the evening as well and I'd guess all bets for tomorrow are looking dicey.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Are the widespread OHLE problems today due to the weather (slacker wires due to the heat so more likely to come down?) Or is it just coincidence? If it’s a stupid question then apologies!

LowLevel

Established Member
It's all going completely wrong all over - definitely a case of avoid if possible. Traincrews now refusing to work on trains with failed/no air con as on board temperatures are over 40 degrees. GA 170s all stood down as they're unable to cope with the heat (always been an issue with this class of unit).

I've been working on a class 156 this afternoon and I feel physically sick.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Much appreciated, and you’re very welcome, thanks for the post.
Thoughts to everyone else working hard.

gavin

LNER telling people not to travel today all lines blocked at Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.