• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Connect suspended/332s withdrawn from service (running again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
There was a 332 back in passenger service at Paddington this evening so hopefully this is getting resolved....

I was on the 1840 service and at the time the train previous and then after were all 360s. And it was actually very comfortable and nice to see the train going faster than normal. I bet some people will be sad to see the 332s back, given the fares will rise again!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What's the performance like (acceleration, braking and cruising) between the 332s and 360s?

SWT_USER

An actual Heathrow Connect 360 on the 7:39 from Hanwell this morning! We are honoured.

Still only an hourly service though as GWR have stopped the shuttle now :roll:

leomartin125

What's the performance like (acceleration, braking and cruising) between the 332s and 360s?

I have been on both a 332, 333 and also the 360 of Abellio Greater Anglia as well as Heathrow Connect. In all honesty, it is similar, both trains have a 100mph capped top speed but the 332 and 333 are a tad quicker, but you can't compare the acceleration between the Heathrow Express and the Connect so I'm comparing the HEx 332 and Northern 333 to the Abellio Greater Anglia 360 and they are similar but I can tell that the 332 is fast even with 8 coaches.

SWT_USER

Woeful provision of information by GWR this morning too.

At first glance it would appear all shuttle trains between Hayes and Paddington are cancelled based on the information on their journey check site: https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

... but then under the 50 other train service updates it indicates a shuttle between Hayes and London.

Is it really that difficult to get this kind of basic stuff correct?

JN114

Established Member
I find that 360s accelerate/decelerate much faster than a 332. 360s being newer are much lighter too imo.

The 332s struggle to keep to time on the ITT, due to poor acceleration vs the 360s. If it is 332 vice 360 you often get the odd cancelled trip to recover the timings.

The 332s struggle to keep to time on the ITT, due to poor acceleration vs the 360s. If it is 332 vice 360 you often get the odd cancelled trip to recover the timings.
Depends on who is driving the ITT and whether mainline services hold us up going into CTA. I have no difficulty keeping it on time with a 332 and a clear run! Much better to drive it with a 360 though as the poorer braking on the 332 upsets ATP coming into T4 and the auto announcements on the 360 are better for information consistency.

As for 360s on Hex, I would prefer it as you can just leave the 360s in max power and they just sail along. 332s always want you to power off every now and then for seemingly no good reason. That said 360s on Hex though are somewhat scary to drive when you need to brake with wet railheads!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Full service today and Sunday according to NRE. Monday, TBA

Probably because there are enough 360s to cover both services.

There is a reduced service every weekend until May, due to Crossrail works closing the Relief/Mainlines

Last edited:

SWT_USER

Probably because there are enough 360s to cover both services.

There is a reduced service every weekend until May, due to Crossrail works closing the Relief/Mainlines

Hourly service only at least yesterday morning. Fingers crossed it's back to normal from tomorrow.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Still only bothering to run Heathrow Connect between Paddington and Hayes this morning, despite having enough 332's to run 9 carriages on the express.

leomartin125

Yesterday I saw a Class 360 in Paddington operating Heathrow Express and was also in Heathrow Express Colours, I honestly thought that was the end for the 332's! But a few minutes after it departed, a Class 332 arrived into Paddington which meant that they are slowly returning back into service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yesterday I saw a Class 360 in Paddington operating Heathrow Express and was also in Heathrow Express Colours, I honestly thought that was the end for the 332's! But a few minutes after it departed, a Class 332 arrived into Paddington which meant that they are slowly returning back into service.

They started returning on Friday.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yesterday I saw a Class 360 in Paddington operating Heathrow Express and was also in Heathrow Express Colours, I honestly thought that was the end for the 332's!

You mustn't have realised that the 360 normally used for the inter terminal shuttle is in HEx livery?

jon0844

Veteran Member
You mustn't have realised that the 360 normally used for the inter terminal shuttle is in HEx livery?

Came back on a very busy 332 tonight (single unit - I had to stand) and a single 360 at Paddington was waiting to go back, which has was near empty - but it was about 9.30pm!

I was told they're now charging full fare again, but surely not if they're still using 360s?

spangles

I'm due to travel Friday. I'm happy to risk it on old stock for a priv fare but I'm travelling with friends who normally take the tube. I'd feel bad if I convinced them to take HEX and then it was the old rolling stock.

Nippy

When I left work this morning, there were 3x8/9 car 332s out, and 2x360 on the HEX circuits. That left 1x360 on the shuttle and 2x360s on the connect service running to and from Hayes only.

Mikey C

Established Member
I'm due to travel Friday. I'm happy to risk it on old stock for a priv fare but I'm travelling with friends who normally take the tube. I'd feel bad if I convinced them to take HEX and then it was the old rolling stock.

The 360s aren't old stock, indeed they're newer than the 332s!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
332s have been refurbished though.

And even before then they were nicer than the 360s with their 2+2 seating layout and lots of legroom. I seem to recall that the old standard class was a nice as some trains first class!

gage75

It has been announced on local radio that both Hex and Hcon are now both running (16/3/16)

Nippy

Yep. HEX is running 4x8/9 car 332s and 1x360, ITT is a 360 and the connects are running with 3x360s. The last few days, HEX have been shortening some of the express trains to a single unit during the middle of the day and then strengthening them again in the afternoon.

cjohnson

360 205 was out on HEx duties today - how many 332s are HEx short at the moment?

The service has still had short formations or class 360 substitutions since the problems were discovered. Also yesterday a class 332 was on the T4 shuttle so not sure why this wasn't swapped with 360205.

That means that 5 of the 332 units were at the depot yesterday.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
332s have been refurbished though.

I was unimpressed with the refurb when I used it the other week. Cheap, narrow-bandwidth LEDs giving poor quality light with some failing already (Chiltern are also guilty of this; it is just penny-pinching, as high-quality warm and cool white LEDs are available, my house is full of them). Seats jammed up against the side wall for no good reason, meaning the window seat is very uncomfortable. Very much showing their age.

I'll take a Desiro, even a 3+2 one, any day.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think the refurbishment is fantastic and haven't noticed any issues with the LED lighting anywhere, but still haven't seen the displays say anything more than Heathrow Express.

First class is odd though. Way too much space, when I bet many users only have a carry on bag.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think the refurbishment is fantastic and haven't noticed any issues with the LED lighting anywhere, but still haven't seen the displays say anything more than Heathrow Express.

Some of them flash up random letters and numbers...:)

They did initially work as per displays on most other trains but then there were issues with the system and I think there is an ongoing dispute as to who owes money to fix them. Bit of a shame after putting all the kit onboard the trains...

Status
Not open for further replies.