• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow to Colchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talent

All,

what's the cheapest way to get from Heathrow airport to Colchester?

I thought I'd take the tube to London Liverpool Street or Stratford (£3.10 off peak) and then the train to Colchester. IMHO the train tickets are rather expensive as I can't take an advance ticket as my flight might be delayed.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tazi Hupefi

How about a Heathrow to London travel card for £13.50 and a £30.80 ticket from the zone 6 Boundary to Colchester?

I'm not very experienced in tickets though, but it's cheaper than one ticket to Colchester!

Maybe some dates and times would be helpful.

jfollows

Established Member
I can't take an advance ticket as my flight might be delayed.
If saving money is your object, why not get an advance ticket for a suitably late time, and wait for the train if the flight is on time? Admittedly further than you, I've bought advance tickets London-Wilmslow for an inbound flight to London in the past, and then just taken my time when the flight was on time. If your flight is seriously late you might get compensation which would pay for a replacement rail ticket anyway.

clagmonster

Established Member
All,

what's the cheapest way to get from Heathrow airport to Colchester?

I thought I'd take the tube to London Liverpool Street or Stratford (£3.10 off peak) and then the train to Colchester. IMHO the train tickets are rather expensive as I can't take an advance ticket as my flight might be delayed.
Would largely depend on approximate time and day of travel, any railcard held, will you be returning at all? If you provide that information I will have a look. I suspect that the answer will involve either Oyster and the Piccadilly line as you have identified yourself or a Travelcard and TfL Rail.

hkstudent

Established Member
If saving money is your object, why not get an advance ticket for a suitably late time, and wait for the train if the flight is on time? Admittedly further than you, I've bought advance tickets London-Wilmslow for an inbound flight to London in the past, and then just taken my time when the flight was on time. If your flight is seriously late you might get compensation which would pay for a replacement rail ticket anyway.
Advance is always best if OP need to save the last penny, while giving up flexibility.
What I would suggest if for flexible ticket, it would be good for OP to use Oystecard / Contactless to Shenfield, which will cost 9.80 off-peak, and Anytime Single from Shenfield to Colchester is £15.20

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Advance is always best if OP need to save the last penny, while giving up flexibility.
What I would suggest if for flexible ticket, it would be good for OP to use Oystecard / Contactless to Shenfield, which will cost 9.80 off-peak, and Anytime Single from Shenfield to Colchester is £15.20

A cheaper, but much slower option, would be to use Oyster/Contactless to Brentwood, and paper ticket from there. This would cost £5.80 + £15.40, but would involve more changes, including getting off at Brentwood and taking the next train.

hkstudent

Established Member
A cheaper, but much slower option, would be to use Oyster/Contactless to Brentwood, and paper ticket from there. This would cost £5.80 + £15.40, but would involve more changes, including getting off at Brentwood and taking the next train.
Yeah, and Shenfield has fast train while Brentwood doesn't

Talent

If saving money is your object, why not get an advance ticket for a suitably late time, and wait for the train if the flight is on time?
I gave this a thought, but I don't like to wait an hour or so at LST. But I'll book an advance ticket if there's no other option.
Would largely depend on approximate time and day of travel, any railcard held, will you be returning at all? If you provide that information I will have a look. I suspect that the answer will involve either Oyster and the Piccadilly line as you have identified yourself or a Travelcard and TfL Rail.
Weekday off peak, no railcard, no return, Oyster PAYG
£25 sounds good. Especially as the journey planner suggests £56.80 (tbf it is a flexible ticket including Heathrow Express)

jfollows

Established Member
I gave this a thought, but I don't like to wait an hour or so at LST. But I'll book an advance ticket if there's no other option.
Go and sit in the park if it's a nice day, or go shopping, or something. There are so many things you could do which would be better than sitting at Liverpool Street station (I assume this is what "LST" is).

https://www.fishmarket-restaurant.co.uk was good last time I was in the area. If nothing else, blow the money you save on a cheap rail ticket on a nice meal.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Just checked National Express coaches, for about the same price as the quote in the OT they can get you from Heathrow to Colchester - via Standsted! There's nothing available with Easybus.

vinnym70

Definitely contactless/oyster to Shenfield (not Brentwood as that just complicates the journey, extra change, and slows it by relying on TfL Rail to go to Brentwood on an all-stopper) then paper ticket to Colchester from Shenfield.

JBuchananGB

I vote for the Oyster/Contactless option to Shenfield via Picadilly to Holborn, Central to Stratford, then any GA train to Shenfield. Get off there, tap out the card, and buy the ticket to Colchester. Board next train to Colchester.

Talent

Is the GA train is included in the £9.80 option? So I'm not limited to tube and TfL rail to Shenfield?

matt_world2004

Established Member
I vote for the Oyster/Contactless option to Shenfield via Picadilly to Holborn, Central to Stratford, then any GA train to Shenfield. Get off there, tap out the card, and buy the ticket to Colchester. Board next train to Colchester.
You can use oyster to shenfield on abellio greater Anglia however you would need to touch out at shenfield so would need to get off.

Talent

That means I can use TfL Rail from Heathrow to Ealing Broadway, Central line to Stratford and GA to Shenfield for just £9.80? :o The only catch is that I can't stay on the train as I have to tap out.

Right?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
That means I can use TfL Rail from Heathrow to Ealing Broadway, Central line to Stratford and GA to Shenfield for just £9.80? :o The only catch is that I can't stay on the train as I have to tap out.

Right?

No, you won't be able to use TfL Rail - the fare from the various Heathrow terminal NR stations to Shenfield is £16.80. The £9.80 fare only applies for travel from the Underground stations - so you'd need to use the Piccadilly line.

clagmonster

Established Member
If wanting to avoid getting off and back on at Shenfield, I would suggest:
Chalfont & Latimer - London Zones 1-6 Travelcard £14.30 (also covers Zones 1-9)
Brentwood - Colchester day single £15.40
Total £29.70

As the travelcard is a daily zonal ticket, there is no need for the train to stop at Brentwood. This is valid on either TfL Rail or the Piccadilly Line but not by Heathrow Express from Heathrow into London.

JBuchananGB

You don’t lose much time at Shenfield. You might be lucky and catch a Southend train at Stratford, by the time you’re down the subway, tapped out, bought a ticket, the Colchester train will be coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.