• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow - Wembley Central (ret) avoiding Heathrow EXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Travel is on a Sunday in March

Bit confused - NRE and Trainline are coming up with some eyewatering prices (even with railcard) - £6/£13/£33 single!!; I was hoping to get an ordinary train to a London terminal then tube or tube+train to Wembley; would a day travelcard cover this journey, and if so can I buy one in advance online?

Alternatively, if I touch in/out with contactless what sort of fare will I face - is there a maximum?

Cheers!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class387

Established Member
Travelcard is fine if you use TfL Rail or the Piccadilly Line.

Howardh

Established Member
Travelcard is fine if you use TfL Rail or the Piccadilly Line.
Thanks. Is there an upper limit, a travel card is something like £12 - however I have a railcard so I could buy Heathrow - Paddington ret 1/3rd off and contactless for the tube part. Am I better just doing the whole lot contactless but without discount? Contactless is much less hassle to be honest even if there is a saving.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Thanks. Is there an upper limit, a travel card is something like £12 - however I have a railcard so I could buy Heathrow - Paddington ret 1/3rd off and contactless for the tube part. Am I better just doing the whole lot contactless but without discount? Contactless is much less hassle to be honest even if there is a saving.

It depends, if you're trying to save money, I'd get the Piccadilly line from Heathrow, then change at Piccadilly Circus for the Bakerloo to Wembley Central, all on contactless.
If you want a quicker journey then I'd get a discounted travelcard zones 1-6, unless you have an Oyster card, where you can load your Railcard, for a cheaper fare.

Howardh

Established Member
It depends, if you're trying to save money, I'd get the Piccadilly line from Heathrow, then change at Piccadilly Circus for the Bakerloo to Wembley Central, all on contactless.
If you want a quicker journey then I'd get a discounted travelcard zones 1-6, unless you have an Oyster card, where you can load your Railcard, for a cheaper fare.
Thanks, I'd rather avoid hassle than save a few quid. Probably use contactless - won't be much greater than £12?

philthetube

Established Member
The cheapest way is alll underground avoiding zone 1.
Heathrow - Acton Town
Acton Town - Rayners Lane
Rayners Lane - Wembley park

If using contactless or oyster ensure you use the pink reader at Rayners Land.

£1.50 each way with Oyster/Contactless

Howardh

Established Member
The cheapest way is alll underground avoiding zone 1.
Heathrow - Acton Town
Acton Town - Rayners Lane
Rayners Lane - Wembley park

If using contactless or oyster ensure you use the pink reader at Rayners Land.

£1.50 each way with Oyster/Contactless
I could get off at Alperton and walk!! 2km roughly 15/20minutes?? Cut out the corner? There seems to be a short cut over the railway and through a park? looks a bit of a hasle to save money on a day out though; although if it's nice I fancy the walk and it's a new area. Hmm...interesting.

transmanche

Established Member
I could get off at Alperton and walk!! 2km roughly 15/20minutes?? Cut out the corner? There seems to be a short cut over the railway and through a park? looks a bit of a hasle to save money on a day out though; although if it's nice I fancy the walk and it's a new area. Hmm...interesting.
Breaking your journey like that means it would count as two separate journeys, with two separate £1.50 charges costing a total of £3. (There are no OSIs at Alperton.)

Other options include taking TfL Bus 83, which links Wembley Park, Wembley Stadium and Wembley Park stations with Alperton station. (£1.50) And then taking the Piccadilly line from Alperton to Heathrow, changing at Acton Town. (£1.50, so £3 in total.)

Or you could do it all by bus; take TfL Bus 182 to Harrow and then TfL Bus 140 to Heathrow. It'll only cost £1.50 if you board the 140 within an hour. It'll take about 90 minutes overall. You can get slight faster options taking three buses if you play around with the options on TfL's Journey Planner.

[OSIs = Out of Station Interchanges, which allow you to walk between stations and charge the entire journey as a single journey.]

philthetube

Established Member
Just looked at times, fastest journey via paddington 48 mins, via Rayners lane 65 mins. bus 80 mins, (that surprised me) thought it would be longer.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Breaking your journey like that means it would count as two separate journeys, with two separate £1.50 charges costing a total of £3. (There are no OSIs at Alperton.)

Other options include taking TfL Bus 83, which links Wembley Park, Wembley Stadium and Wembley Park stations with Alperton station. (£1.50) And then taking the Piccadilly line from Alperton to Heathrow, changing at Acton Town. (£1.50, so £3 in total.)

Or you could do it all by bus; take TfL Bus 182 to Harrow and then TfL Bus 140 to Heathrow. It'll only cost £1.50 if you board the 140 within an hour. It'll take about 90 minutes overall. You can get slight faster options taking three buses if you play around with the options on TfL's Journey Planner.

[OSIs = Out of Station Interchanges, which allow you to walk between stations and charge the entire journey as a single journey.]
I think he's talking about ending the journey at Alperton rather than carrying on. The thread title did say Wembley Central rather than Wembley Park.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
That’s a long walk, I used to love in Alperton when I worked at Waterloo

Howardh

Established Member
I think he's talking about ending the journey at Alperton rather than carrying on. The thread title did say Wembley Central rather than Wembley Park.
Yes, exactly that. Which wembley station is unimportant. In fact after the match it may be a quicker return than queuing for trains at wembley.

Howardh

Established Member
Cup final tomorrow (Sunday?)
31st March if the Mighty Shakers get there. We won't take many but if Sunderland get there the routes from Wembley - central London will be heaving. Which is why I'm looking for an alternative getaway to Heathrow which leaves me time, and avoiding the over-priced express.

richardderby

Tfl rail to Paddington, then jump on the bakerloo direct to Wembley Central... Best option probably ..

Puffing Devil

Established Member
31st March if the Mighty Shakers get there. We won't take many but if Sunderland get there the routes from Wembley - central London will be heaving. Which is why I'm looking for an alternative getaway to Heathrow which leaves me time, and avoiding the over-priced express.

Tfl rail to Paddington, then jump on the bakerloo direct to Wembley Central... Best option probably ..

I'm on the way down today to the EFL final right now.

TfL to Paddington is quick, though Wembley Central can be a walk. I would get the tube to Marylebone and get the train to Wembley stadium. Also a quicker exit than the tube.

Howardh

Established Member
Sorted. Tube heathrow to Alperton and one of three bus routes up to Wembley; should do it in 90 minutes. If the roads are busy then get off and walk!

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Update from my experience yesterday (after Extra Time and Penalties)

We took the Metropolitan tube in, having spent a pleasant morning/afternoon in the centre of town. Getting on before Kings Cross will ensure a seat.

Leaving we headed straight for Wembley Stadium Mainline Station and were some of the first in line. It's the quickest way out, IMHO.
  • Oyster readers are scarce and a bottleneck if you need to use them
  • Chiltern Staff were OK, but let a train go lightly loaded, which could easily have been filled in the time it took to hold people back
  • The second train to arrive had the rear unit locked out of use! Sardine conditions to Marylebone as everyone squeezed onto the front unit.
  • Chiltern do seem prepared and have shuttles running to clear the backlog
Arriving at Marylebone there were no buses to Euston showing anytime soon, so we grabbed a cab. £9, but money well spent as we were ahead of the blue hoards piling out of Euston Square tube for the last trains of the day. Many of those had left during extra time and missed the end of the game.

Best value is a day, off-peak, travelcard with some kind of railcard, on paper to avoid tap-in queues. Around £11 for myself and the boy, I didn't begrudge the cab fare at the end of the day, though would have used the bus if we finished on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.