• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heaton Derailment 22/03/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama

Established Member
Not the first such spad on Heaton with similar results. There was one about 15 years ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Since it's within the confines of a depot and hasn't fouled a running line then it's only reportable to RAIB in a monthly paperwork return. It doesn't appear to be the type of incident which is immediately notifiable unless the damage is likely to amount to more than £1.6mil. I would be surprised to see a full RAIB investigation and report for a depot SPAD even if the photos do make it look dramatic. Of course there'll be an internal rail industry investigation carried out but the results of that won't be published in the public domain.
As far as I understand it was reported to the RAIB and a team of investigators were dispatched to the site early this morning.

The damage done is almost certainly a 7 digit sum of money.

EveningStar

Driver068

As far as I understand it was reported to the RAIB and a team of investigators were dispatched to the site early this morning.

The damage done is almost certainly a 7 digit sum of money.
Indeed - quote in the local paper from the RAIB as followed...

A spokesperson for the Rail Accident Investigation Branch said: “The RAIB has been notified of an derailment which occurred this morning at Heaton depot. RAIB has requested the railway to secure evidence relating to the derailment, this will be reviewed by the Branch and the appropriate course of action decided in the coming days.”

Spartacus

Established Member
At that point they are facing, not trailing tho
Split and damaged given they’d already been run through by the vehicle in one direction, and going back through a set of split and damaged points isn’t likely to end well.

Established Member
As a few others have mentioned, 1S00 Newcastle to Edinburgh was operated by a Crosscountry voyager which was going to be running empty to Edinburgh, all fully staffed by Cross country.

GB

Established Member
Indeed - quote in the local paper from the RAIB as followed...

A spokesperson for the Rail Accident Investigation Branch said: “The RAIB has been notified of an derailment which occurred this morning at Heaton depot. RAIB has requested the railway to secure evidence relating to the derailment, this will be reviewed by the Branch and the appropriate course of action decided in the coming days.”

That quote suggests they are not attending.

Efini92

Established Member
Unlikely, as it wasn't on the public part of the railway, and was confined to the depot
They’ll still investigate it. They investigated the death on tyesley.

Good chance of it doing so if you decide to propel back of your own accord after said run through…
Not necessarily. But they would also be facing points at that point.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As a few others have mentioned, 1S00 Newcastle to Edinburgh was operated by a Crosscountry voyager which was going to be running empty to Edinburgh, all fully staffed by Cross country.

An excellent example of cross industry cooperation - we need more of this.

Shaggy

Not one to speculate and as mentioned already we should try and keep speculation to a minimum however a possibility would be driver in question Passed Signal at Danger before road set, driver goes over set of points and at same time control tower sets other road as the final and fith vehicle passes over, thus derailing the rear vehicle. With an LNER set on other side, the control tower would not of physically seen the movement taking place.

However i stress we must await report from RAIB.

Why?

This is a railway forum to discuss items of interest on the railway, of which this is one. Surely speculation and talking about such things is what this forum is for?

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
WhatsApp very quick on this......I've simply posted a simple set of facts on what's happened.
Let me check I understand correctly. Are you saying:
  • Driver passed red signal
  • train ran through trailing points
  • driver stopped and backed up?
Given that the photos show red lights at the rear of the derailed train and the apparent length of derailed movement, that does not appear consistent, to me, with 'backing up'. Did the driver really bother switching the lights and changing ends? If he was in the derailed end 'backing up' he would have stopped much sooner!

Have I totally misunderstood what you report as happening?

I have no idea what happened in this case but as a point of order which I’m surprised no one else has pointed out - there is no way of telling that is the rear of the train by looking at the lights.
Most parked/stabled(/derailed!) trains are left showing red taillights at both ends as a form of protection.

Moonshot

Established Member
Let me check I understand correctly. Are you saying:
  • Driver passed red signal
  • train ran through trailing points
  • driver stopped and backed up?
Given that the photos show red lights at the rear of the derailed train and the apparent length of derailed movement, that does not appear consistent, to me, with 'backing up'. Did the driver really bother switching the lights and changing ends? If he was in the derailed end 'backing up' he would have stopped much sooner!

Have I totally misunderstood what you report as happening?
I never mentioned anything about backing up ....I simply pointed out train passed a red signal and went through a set of trailing points.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Whatever the cause of this, it would appear that the end vehicle will have been running on the parapet for some considerable distance, which won't have done the underside much good - is there likely to be similar underside damage on the adjoining vehicles, I wonder? Looking at the pictures in that local media, I cannot see how there wouldn't be - could this be enough to write 802 207 off?

Driver068

Negative - according to reports at some point that vehicle would of been the front as the signal passed is further back - so the unit was coming onto the depot not leaving.

This is what i mean about speculation as the detailed vehicle would of been forward facing. The extent of the damage to the parapit would of been caused by the metal fence running along side bringing the wall down on initial impact.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Negative - according to reports at some point that vehicle would of been the front as the signal passed is further back - so the unit was coming onto the depot not leaving.

This is what i mean about speculation as the detailed vehicle would of been forward facing. The extent of the damage to the parapit would of been caused by the metal fence running along side bringing the wall down on initial impact.
Ah, so if the fence was pushed down ahead of it and took the parapet out as a consequence then it probably isn't too bad underneath. That looks more hopeful.

Established Member
If it was the front and coming onto the depot, there aren't any trailing points for it to have gone over. It would have been travelling east-west.
If it was the rear then there are a few coming out of the sidings.
The pictures I’ve seen, to me make the derailed coach be the rear, as behind is damaged point and track work.

Last edited:

Driver068

I agree with the last 2 posts however 2nd coach down there are a set of points aiming off to the right towards T&W Metro - this just beyond signal controlling entrance.

DanNCL

Established Member
I agree with the last 2 posts however 2nd coach down there are a set of points aiming off to the right towards T&W Metro - this just beyond signal controlling entrance.
There is no track connection to Metro there so I’m not sure which points you’re referring to. Catch points?

Driver068

There is no track connection to Metro there so I’m not sure which points you’re referring to. Catch points?
Correct - if you look at one of the photos posted on the Chronicle you will see a set of points at the rear of the derailed vehicle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220322-150850_Newcastle Chronicle.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-150850_Newcastle Chronicle.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 370

Efini92

Established Member
I have no idea what happened in this case but as a point of order which I’m surprised no one else has pointed out - there is no way of telling that is the rear of the train by looking at the lights.
Most parked/stabled(/derailed!) trains are left showing red taillights at both ends as a form of protection.

If it was the front there wouldn’t be all that damage infront of it.

Attachments

• 4C651729-EC92-41E0-821F-9628134AB37F.png
    4C651729-EC92-41E0-821F-9628134AB37F.png
    5 MB · Views: 574

hacman

There used to be a connection to Metro there, and for a number of years there were the remnants of some points in the location of the derailment.

That said, I would be surprised if that was the cause, and if so it could make the RAIB report interesting reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.