• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heatwave - Don't Make me Laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorksDMU

Tomorrow is forecast to be exceptionally hot. A new record may be broken for England in the Cambridge area with a temperature of 41C! High humidity too. Storms are forecast for tomorrow evening. We’ll see how it all pans out as tomorrow goes along.
I think I’ll go and have an ice cream...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
Well it is cloudy in Falkirk at the moment and not that hot - been raining earlier !!

Hold the ice cream until tomorrow when the sun is due to appear.

Same in Glasgow today...can't have been all that hot relatively speaking maybe 19C earlier on and 23C/24C later in the day, a bit muggy though with the heavy clouds. I actually had a light jacket on at lunch with the wind though.

Forecasted up to 27C-30C tomorrow though, for once I can gloat to colleagues in London about the weather up here!!!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think we may get to the dizzy heights of 22 in Penzance tomorrow - got to go and shut my patio door now, it's rather chilly (seriously!)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we may get to the dizzy heights of 22 in Penzance tomorrow - got to go and shut my patio door now, it's rather chilly (seriously!)
Sitting in an attic room in France right now and it’s reading 34 degrees in here. I’ve got a minor amount of sunburn, I’ve had a few glasses of wine and I drenched my pizza this evening with chilli oil.
Right now I’d very much take a chilly (not chilli) Penzance. o_O

route101

Established Member
Same in Glasgow today...can't have been all that hot relatively speaking maybe 19C earlier on and 23C/24C later in the day, a bit muggy though with the heavy clouds. I actually had a light jacket on at lunch with the wind though.

Forecasted up to 27C-30C tomorrow though, for once I can gloat to colleagues in London about the weather up here!!!

Yeah was 23c by thetime i walked to work , was humid .

westv

Established Member
Yes but storms usually clear the air of humidity.
Storms are created when cooler unstable air cuts into humid air so storms don't clear the air, less humid air creates the storm.

Butts

Veteran Member
I have to report the Sun has finally arrived in Falkirk today and it must have been in the mid/late twenties. Have been to North Berwick today and that was heaving and hot but a nice breeze controlled it to a degree. Edinburgh was pretty warm as well.

Not quite the 35 degrees my son is boasting about in Birmingham today, but hot enough for me. !!!

scotrail158713

Established Member
I have to report the Sun has finally arrived in Falkirk today and it must have been in the mid/late twenties. Have been to North Berwick today and that was heaving and hot but a nice breeze controlled it to a degree. Edinburgh was pretty warm as well.
I’m just outside Ormiston so about half an hour away from North Berwick and it’s been similar here. It’s suppsoedly been 27C today but the breeze has cooled it to a pleasant temperature. I was on holiday in Lochinver a couple of weeks ago and it was sunny and 16-17C most of the time and it felt hotter. Make of that what you will.

AM9

Veteran Member
I’m just outside Ormiston so about half an hour away from North Berwick and it’s been similar here. It’s suppsoedly been 27C today but the breeze has cooled it to a pleasant temperature. I was on holiday in Lochinver a couple of weeks ago and it was sunny and 16-17C most of the time and it felt hotter. Make of that what you will.
It's 36.3°C here in St Albans. There's a thin layer of cloud, an occasional breeze and the humidity is rising so looking forward to the promised thunderstorm tonight togethr with some negaive ions. I shall be looking at the lightning maps later.

Giugiaro

Mind if I tell that it is cold and raining at the moment here in Porto?

It doesn't feel like end of July at all. It feels more like end of April.

Crossover

Established Member
The car driving home was showing 34.0C by the time I got home, having been driving for a while (the car thermometer tends to overread after being parked, but it didn't change much today). Just had a wander into the garden and its no cooler out there than in the house currently

Offices (like home) were very warm and stuffy. Working in IT, I have been trying to work as close to the server room as possible, since that was a steady, cooler, temperature!

Crossover

Established Member
The forecast thunderstorm doesn’t seem to have hit us (yet). It’s still unbelievably warm - sat in my room currently it’s showing 29°C and I don’t recall seeing such a high temperature in here in the time since we moved, a few years back

Thankfully got a fan which, despite the noise, will probably get left at full speed tonight!

Carlisle

Established Member
On our side of Cheshire East, we too escaped from the thunderstorms that earlier in the day were shown on the BBC weather website for our area .
Yes, I’m not too impressed with BBC weather app right now as 7 -10 days ago I made plans relying on its info this coming weekend was going to be largely dry

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
Yes, I’m not too impressed with BBC weather app right now as 7 -10 days ago I made plans relying on its info this coming weekend was going to be largely dry
Yeah. I don’t rely on any forecast more than a day out as it is never accurate. Although I’m in Scotland so there’s a good chance it will rain at some point in the day regardless of the weather the rest of the day. :D

Howardh

Established Member
It's only 27c in Gibraltar right now, better take a coat when I go next week!!

Note - the sea temperature @ Southend is currently 18.9c, which is 3c higher than the average. Temperatures can rise on hot days when the tide comes in over hot sand (especially dark sand) so can skewer the day's result but today it's showery and somewhat cooler; so I'll be watching that over the week.

If anyone's interested here's the website; https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/united-kingdom/southend-on-sea.htm

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Forecasts more than about three days ahead tend to be very unreliable in my view. Just look at what the app says it will do say four days out and watch it change almost daily as the actual day approaches!

bramling

Veteran Member
Forecasts more than about three days ahead tend to be very unreliable in my view. Just look at what the app says it will do say four days out and watch it change almost daily as the actual day approaches!

You’re better off looking at trend forecasts for things like jet stream and pressure rather than a specific forecast for a day. It’s still not really possible to get a decent prediction for a specific day that far ahead, but it gives an idea what proportion of decent days one is likely to get out out of a longer period.

Having said that, the long range forecasts this year have been a complete waste of time. Ever since May there’s been predictions of a decent spell of settled weather, which hasn’t really materialised. Since May it’s been pretty much a cloud fest outside the south-east.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Having said that, the long range forecasts this year have been a complete waste of time. Ever since May there’s been predictions of a decent spell of settled weather, which hasn’t really materialised.

Indeed - I remember back in December/January they kept warning about a really cold February - similar to the "beast from the east" of 2018. What did we get instead - record breaking warm February temperatures!

The UK is experiencing its warmest February day on record, with the Met Office reporting a temperature of 20.6C (69.08F) at Trawsgoed, Ceredigion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47360952

al78

Established Member
It was 26C in my house downstairs yesterday evening, and impossible to get it lower given it was close to that temperature outside up until close to midnight. There is a limit to how effective closing curtains during the day and opening windows at night can be. I did sleep ok up until the point when another bloody 4am thunderstorm woke me up.

al78

Established Member
Indeed - I remember back in December/January they kept warning about a really cold February - similar to the "beast from the east" of 2018. What did we get instead - record breaking warm February temperatures!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47360952

Seasonal forecasts for the UK have low skill, so not surprising. I would be interested to know who was forecasting a cold February. Was it a proper forecasting agency or the Daily Express publishing the most extreme snowmageddon prediction from the usual suspect (Piers Corbyn) that it could find?

Darandio

Established Member
I would be interested to know who was forecasting a cold February. Was it a proper forecasting agency or the Daily Express publishing the most extreme snowmageddon prediction from the usual suspect (Piers Corbyn) that it could find?

The Met Office were pushing the possibility in early January following a sudden stratospheric warming just before Christmas. It was nothing more than a possibility from them though, unlike those you mention such as Corbyn and Madden pushing snowmageddon through the Daily Express.

Status
Not open for further replies.