• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hebden Bridge to Nottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveoh

I've an unused return portion of a Nottingham to Huddersfield ticket. I now need to travel back from Hebden Bridge. Can anyone advise the best usage of the return portion. Is a single to Leeds the best bet? Can I excess the ticket?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If the ticket is used then you will need to buy a new ticket. Do you mean "unused"?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think a single to Sowerby Bridge is all you need. I assume that you have the £26.60 Off-Peak Return?

Romilly

Established Member
If you are going to go from Hebden Bridge to Leeds via Bradford, then I agree that you need a Hebden Bridge-Leeds ticket (but see the Edit below). But if you are going to go to Leeds on the Hebden Bridge-Sowerby Bridge-Brighouse-Mirfield-Leeds train, then I think that you need only a Hebden Bridge-Mirfield single at £4.40.

Edit: if I ask the VT East Coast website to give me Nottingham-Huddersfield fares for journeys via Leeds and calling at Halifax, the basic Nottingham-Huddersfield fares are shown as available for the route Nottingham-Sheffield-Leeds-Bradford Interchange-Halifax-Huddersfield. If that's correct, and you are going to go from Hebden Bridge to Leeds via Bradford Interchange, you need only a Hebden Bridge-Halifax single.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Huddersfield to Nottingham is permitted via Sowerby Bridge so a ticket is only required to there.

If the OP has the £48.10 Off-Peak Return, a zero-fare over-distance excess (if he can get it) is the cheapest. Hebden Bridge - Nottingham is permitted via Huddersfield.

Romilly

Established Member
I think a single to Sowerby Bridge is all you need. I assume that you have the £26.60 Off-Peak Return?

I am not sure that I understand how Sowerby Bridge is on a permitted route from Huddersfield to Nottingham.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Sowerby Bridge is a member of Halifax group, and map permission WK+SY (amongst others) should cover it, with intercept point being Bradford Group.

Romilly

Established Member
I think that routeing guide easement 700575 may explain why I cannot get permitted Nottingham-Huddersfield itineraries to show routes via Sowerby Bridge:

Journeys between Huddersfield, Deighton and Mirfield to Leeds and beyond may not travel via Sowerby Bridge. Journeys may however travel via Halifax. This negative easement applies in both directions

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think that routeing guide easement 700575 may explain why I cannot get permitted Nottingham-Huddersfield itineraries to show routes via Sowerby Bridge:

Hmm, in that case, a ticket to Halifax would suffice. £2.60 single so only 50p more than the Sowerby Bridge ticket.

I can think of a way to argue that that particular easement does not apply, but for the sake of 50p I would say just buy the ticket to Halifax instead.

Romilly

Established Member
Hmm, in that case, a ticket to Halifax would suffice. £2.60 single so only 50p more than the Sowerby Bridge ticket.

But presumably only if going to Leeds via Bradford.

If going to Leeds via Brighouse & Mirfield, I still think that a Hebden Bridge-Mirfield ticket would be needed.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
But presumably only if going to Leeds via Bradford.

If going to Leeds via Brighouse & Mirfield, I still think that a Hebden Bridge-Mirfield ticket would be needed.

Yes, I just assumed that he wanted the quickest or cheapest route. Probably should have qualified that.

Otherwise a ticket to Mirfield will be required. Strange that Mirfield is in Huddersfield Group yet Brighouse is not.

Steveoh

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry I have a £26.60 off peak return I should have said. I want to get home as quickly as possible with as little fuss. I should have thought of Murfield. I'll see which is the next train when I get the Hebden and buy from the ticket office based on the advice given.

Status
Not open for further replies.