• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help ! caught using a child’s ticket what’s going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

piauuu

Need advice as i’m worrying
i was caught using a child’s ticket by northern rail, i when originally asked i gave a fake date of birth but when the ticket warden said it’s fraud if i lie i admitted to lying and told them my real age (im 19) im just wondering what the procedure here is will i get prosecuted and have a criminal conviction as im training to be a teacher and can’t have that on my record or will they issue me a fine. i admitted my real age gave them all my details and the ticket person said to expect a letter she didnt tell me what about

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
I have copied below the initial advice (slightly tailored to your query) that @Hadders gives in response to queries such as yours.

You will be sent a letter by the Train Operating Company asking for your version of the "event" which has taken place.

The letter can take time to arrive (typically 2 or 3 weeks but it can be longer) due to backlogs in processing at the Train Operating Companies investigation departments.

Your response should include the following:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Most Train Operating Companies are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) for people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this and the train company is within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court should they choose to do so. They will ask for your National Insurance Number and while legally you are not required to give them your National Insurance number if your desired outcome is keeping the matter out of court then I would do what you can to co-operate rather than wind them up.

If you are offered a settlement the amount tends to be around £150 plus the outstanding fare. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't (because a fine can only be imposed by a court as a punishment following a conviction) and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one.

If you post a copy of the letter when received and your draft reply in this thread forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

In the meantime try not to worry and make certain that you always have a valid ticket for travel.

Veteran Member
Need advice as i’m worrying
i was caught using a child’s ticket by northern rail, i when originally asked i gave a fake date of birth but when the ticket warden said it’s fraud if i lie i admitted to lying and told them my real age (im 19) im just wondering what the procedure here is will i get prosecuted and have a criminal conviction as im training to be a teacher and can’t have that on my record or will they issue me a fine. i admitted my real age gave them all my details and the ticket person said to expect a letter she didnt tell me what about
Basically, you will get a letter inviting you to give your account of events. At that point please ask for advice as to your reply.There are plenty of threads on his forum which you can read, both about various forms of dishonesty and about the sort of reply we recommend.

The chances are, if you have no history of defrauding Northern (they may check), that you will be able to agree a settlement without going through the courts, which will cost you less than a fine from the Magistrates' Court. But you will need to cooperate with them. (BTW lying about your age probably won't be an issue - train companies are more worried about the money than the lies.)

Meanwhile, don't panic - even a court conviction for not having a valid ticket on one occasion won't have too much of an impact on your future. While our society expects teachers to set a good example to young citizens, it is fairly tolerant (though never conceal a conviction, however trivial).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just to add to what has been said but Northern will be able to check your online ticket purchasing history so if this shows you've purchased child rate tickets for the last three years Northern might ask you about this. I don't think it'll mean an out of court settlement is impossible but it does mean it'll be more expensive.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter from Northern when it arrives (but do redact any personal details) along with your draft reply and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.