• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help me get some Northern coverage (now with added trip reports)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Stockport to Stalybridge is rather common on railtours through the area, indeed Retro Railtours have a Crewe to Skegness on 13th June which will cover that one, due to be a pair of 20s. See this link for details http://www.retrorailtours.co.uk/rt12.php

Useful as it avoids Manchester Picadilly.

But nothing beats waiting around Stockport on a Friday morning for that special service to arrive.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Useful as it avoids Manchester Picadilly.

But nothing beats waiting around Stockport on a Friday morning for that special service to arrive.

Agreed, it is that bit more special when you're awaiting the PSUL train to show up, although it can be a bit stressful getting to them sometimes! The tension builds once you're on board as you head to the bit you're after, and as you near it you cross the fingers and toes. The relief when you finally get it? Priceless.

Yes I refer to my going after that PSUL bit at Chislehurst in August 2014! The stressful bit was more in reference to leaving Liverpool to do the Ellesmere Port to Helsby limited line, to find a derailment was causing issues. I believe this was all detailed well in the 2011 ALR trip report, though I'd need to check that.

I hope to have all those joys again on a summer Saturday this year with that infernal curve near Runcorn. All before pelting it back down to Birmingham to get that ridiculously irritating shack done at Bordesley! So is the plan at least...

I've done Stockport to Stalybridge with 56311 and 56312 though, which I'd say was more special than doing the Fridays Only train ;) And most of the rest of the line with 60059 too!

Established Member
I've done Stockport to Stalybridge with 56311 and 56312 though, which I'd say was more special than doing the Fridays Only train ;) And most of the rest of the line with 60059 too!

I did it many times back in the 80s when it had a regular service.
One day I did the class 100/105 hybrid unit that was kicking about for a while.
I didn't do units back then but even I knew about its existence, so it was one vehicle to Stockport and the other back to Stalybridge :)

A photo of this anomaly can be seen at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/skiddaw_d3/9395251259/

CallySleeper

Established Member
Thanks again for all your advice folks. I competed my Yorkshire trip today and it was on the whole a long day but a big success!

Trip report to follow...

Status
Not open for further replies.