• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help needed with interesting bits & pieces in the South East

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJ

Had a good day today going from St Pancras to Ramsgate and Dover on the new 395s. Very impressed with the standard of the stock and very friendly staff.

Saw two 66s in freighliner colours but totally unbranded somewhere near Dagenham together with another FL 66 on what looked like household rubbish disposal at the same set of sidings. Anyone know which 66s are now unbranded?

Moving on to Ashford - there appears two be a modern 2 car southeastern emu dumped on the right hand side leaving on the line to Dover. Maybe a class a 466? Are these already being scrapped? Or does anyone know what's happening with this unit and maybe provide identification.

Last query is can anyone help with identification with the 2 4-car slam door sets in Chart Leacon depot?

Normally watching trains at Stafford I was surprised to see how interesting it was down "south".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No idea about the Shed's or the Slammers but I can help you with the Networkers ...

The Class 466s are only 17 years old and are about to be refreshed/refurbished - so are definitely going nowhere near a scrapyard yet! It might have been sitting there as it could've broken down or awaiting an incoming service so it can be attached to another 465 to strengthen a service.

Hope this helps part of your query.

I presume the sheds would be 66573 and 66574 in 'warm store' seeing occasional use with Freightliner but stored because of the influx of 70s coupled with the recession meaning less freight engines are needed....

chuffchuff

The 2car 466 you saw was berthed in the East Sdg, comes in on a
10 car ex Charing Cross service and comes back out an hour later
The slam doors at Chart are used for shunting in the depot
Hope this helps

LouJ

Thanks for your help guys.

The two car unit looked almost derelict in the pouring rain - the lack of a recent repaint perhaps added to the illusion.

GearJammer

I presume the sheds would be 66573 and 66574 in 'warm store'

That'll be the ones.... you can see them from the A13!

The slam doors at Chart are used for shunting in the depot

Sorry if this is a really stupid question...... but what do they shunt exactly? Surely if its an EMU depot the EMU's can just be moved under there own power, and i would'nt have thought slammers couplings were compatible with modern stock?

chuffchuff

Sometimes they do, but if the unit is FUBAR'd or odd coaches taken off
then they use the slamdoors to move them

Status
Not open for further replies.