• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help please! TfL nominee pass confiscated

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Would me merely asking them how they came to that sum and requesting a lower sum jeopardise the current amount they’ve asked for?
Sorry, I just don't know. It seems a reasonable question, but since I seem to recall (apols if I have this wrong and others may be able to correct me) that abuse of staff passes / nominees passes carries with it the risk of dismissal from your job, is it worth that risk?

Also think - where does the conversation go? You ask, they reply, 'we assumed this action had been done on x occasions previously', you respond to deny that - they have 2 choices: choice a) offer you a lower sum; or choice b) 'OK, but we will pass this to prosecution team and deal with it at court'.

You might save yourself £150 quid if you are lucky, but you might lose a lot more than £346 if unlucky.

If you were to loose your job (and I don't know if that is realistic) - think how long it would have taken to earn £346.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Would me merely asking them how they came to that sum and requesting a lower sum jeopardise the current amount they’ve asked for?
They're not going to give you a breakdown. It's less hassle and cost than losing your travel facilities or your job, so I recommend paying up.

island

Veteran Member
It could result in them no longer accepting the amount in settlement.

Tallguy

We have seen previously on this forum dismissal for wrong use of a spouse pass And it is very easy to be bold and suggest questioning the offer to settle from the TOC in order to try and reduce it when it isn’t you on the receiving end.

The offer to settle has been made, I feel it would be foolish to question it and I strongly suggest the OP takes the offer and pays up promptly, thus burying the whole sorry episode for ever more and avoiding the future risk that a conviction will hold.

philthetube

Established Member
Has any mention been made relating to the Nominee pass by LUL, if they are not involved at all I would be inclined to keep quiet now and just wait for the next renewal to arrive, as you would have heard something from the travel office if they were aware.

jumble

Hi all just to give you an update. They’ve only got back to him a couple of days ago. This is what they wrote:

“I apologise the delay in contacting you. I have only just received your report, and I cannot contact the passengers until I have all the information in front of me.

The way the process works is that I first need to establish the full amount of part paid or unpaid journeys that you have made. Once this is established, we can agree a settlement figure - which is the unpaid fares plus administration costs we have incurred to that point. The company will then seek to agree to recover the settlement figure from you. If this is settled, the matter will be closed, and no further action taken. However, all of this is totally dependent on you being open, honest, and transparent with us about your travel.
When you were stopped you had not paid the full fare betweenStratford and Chelmsford stations. Please could you clarify the exact dates that you have been avoiding the correct fare(s) between the above two stations. This information will assist us in resolving this and hopefully bringing it to a swift conclusion.
Kind regards”

We then replied explaining that this was a one time thing and the RPI accused him of doing this over a long period of time. Also explained the TfL pass and P2P ticket etc for full context.

they have replied today asking for “£346.40 which is the outstanding fare (£246.40) plus our administration charge (£100). The outstanding fare has been calculated from our own investigations together with your own admission that when you were stopped you confirmed you did not have a valid ticket at that time.”

To be honest this feels quite excessive considering a one way Stratford to Chelmsford is £15 (not even taking into account that he had a valid ticket shenfield to Chelmsford)

What does everyone else think? Can I ask how they came to that figure? What advice would you give?

Thanks
Can you be absolutely sure that your nominee is telling the whole truth about how many times this has occurred.
I only ask because it seems very odd to describe a random amount as an outstanding fare
They could perfectly well have said the fare is £15 and the admin charge is £331.40 in any case

matt_world2004

Established Member
Can you be absolutely sure that your nominee is telling the whole truth about how many times this has occurred.
I only ask because it seems very odd to describe a random amount as an outstanding fare
They could perfectly well have said the fare is £15 and the admin charge is £331.40 in any case
I think the assumption that has been made based on the tickets in the wallet is that the rpi reasonably believe that this happening for some time hence large settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.