• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help re lost property

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawallace

While travelling on the 5.30 Ely to Peterborough XC train I managed to leave behind my camera bag containing a couple of lenses.

Now assuming that we live in a honest world (where someone will have seen it) where would it be if it was found?

I telephone XC lost property department who told me to try BNS lost property on the grounds the train terminated there - which it did - but they have not seen it.

does anyone have any other bright ideas / telephone numbers that I could try?

The camera bag did have my name and address in it - but I am told that they will not send it back unless I claim it if it has been found - they would only telephone me but as I did not have my telephone number on it that it is not possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Didnt know XC ran to Barnes (BNS) or did you mean Birmingham New Street (BHM), this one just keeps on going :roll:

Give the lost property a ring every day for a week, time it gets processed it will take a couple of days to appear on the system.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, if they rang BNS then they called the wrong station. It should have ended up at BHM (Birmingham New Street).

If it wasn't found here then it may be someone else has handed it in (eg. at their local station or to the police), or it may have been taken off elsewhere (eg. Leicester).

jon0844

Veteran Member
@royaloak, I presume you know that he meant Birmingham New Street, given that the train doesn't run to Barnes but DOES run to Birmingham New Street - and as your location is 'SWT land', I am sure you know where Barnes is!!

@mawallace, I've found a number of items on trains, from wallets to mobile phones - and either hand them in, or contact the owner direct. There are honest people around, so fingers crossed you're contacted in some way if it wasn't handed in.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
If he had written Birmingham New Street or BHM then I would have KNOWN what he meant, but as he used the code for Barnes (BNS) I ASSUMED (but didnt KNOW) that he meant BHM.
If people are going to use 3 letter codes then they could at least use the right ones.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't disagree (personally I prefer to write stations in full whenever possible, or certainly the first time) but I think that on this occasion it was quite obvious.

barrykas

Established Member
In response to the OP, it depends where/if it was handed in! It could be with one of CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains, National Express East Anglia, Network Rail (Birmingham New Street only) or Virgin Trains.

Lost Property Contact Details are as follows:
  • CrossCountry : 08447 369 123 (08:30 - 20:00 Mon - Fri, 09:00 - 16:00 Sat) - E-Mail : [email protected]
  • East Coast : 08457 225 333 (09:00 - 16:30 Mon - Fri)
  • East Midlands Trains : (0115) 957 6525 (10:00 - 16:00 Mon - Sat)
  • National Express East Anglia : 0845 600 7245 (08:30 - 17:00 Mon - Fri) - E-Mail : [email protected]
  • Network Rail : (0121) 632 6884 (09:00 - 17:00 Mon - Fri) - E-Mail : [email protected]
  • Virgin Trains : 0845 000 8000 (08:30 - 20:15 Mon - Fri, 09:00 - 16:00 Sat)

You only need to call each office ONCE to give them the details. Be as specific as you can, with journey details, and where you were sitting (if you can remember), and as full a description of the bag and its contents as possible.

Saying something like, "It's a black umbrella with a wooden handle" or "It's a Nokia mobile phone" is NOT helpful ;)

If you don't hear back within two or three weeks, then your item hasn't been found. (Or you weren't specific enough in your description).

If your item IS found, the office will ring you back and either arrange for you to collect the item (which needs to be done within 3 months) or for it to be posted to you at your expense. In addition, a fee of up to £20 for retrieval is payable, and possibly storage fees.

HTH,

Barry

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you have your name and address on the item, I am disappointed that a second class letter can't be sent to that address stating an item has been found and to call the right place; that person would still need to describe the item properly, but would at least have the right department to speak to.

Making a phone call must cost roughly the same as a stamp?

LondonLarry

If people are going to use 3 letter codes then they could at least use the right ones.

To be honest, unless he's worked in railway retailing environment, he's not going to know all the three letter codes for all the stations in the UK. Never crossed my mind that BNS might be anything other than Birmingham New Street. Lot's of people abbreviate Southampton Airport Parkway to SAP -there's no station with this three letter code....

Status
Not open for further replies.