• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Here comes the (not too clever) bride

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There seem to have been a few references to people's "righteous indignation" & "outrage" at this taking of photographs. So let's drop the Daily Mail newspeak and clear one thing up, those of us who have defended NR's position of highlighting this are neither outraged nor in a state of indignation. We are merely pointing out that NR were right to point this out as being something that should not have happened, and is something that should in no way be encouraged or indeed defended.

That is a fair comment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
How about this:
And the same applies to taking photographs, quick snap shots or selfies, having picnics, training for Strictly Come Dancing, playing football etc etc……

I'm afraid that if you suggest taking a photo on a level crossing is in the same category as playing football there, or having a picnic, then you've made having a rational discussion impossible. A pity.

EM2

Established Member
I'm afraid that if you suggest taking a photo on a level crossing is in the same category as playing football there, or having a picnic, then you've made having a rational discussion impossible. A pity.
Can't see why. The Highway Code had to be changed in the early days of the motorways because people DID stop and have picnics (particularly in the central reservation).

Bromley boy

Established Member
There seem to have been a few references to people's "righteous indignation" & "outrage" at this taking of photographs. So let's drop the Daily Mail newspeak and clear one thing up, those of us who have defended NR's position of highlighting this are neither outraged nor in a state of indignation. We are merely pointing out that NR were right to point this out as being something that should not have happened, and is something that should in no way be encouraged or indeed defended.

Thank you. That sums it up perfectly.

A clear voice of reason, on what has become a very silly thread!

Bromley boy

Established Member

I posed the picnic scenario in response to a previous poster who stated he would stage a "photo shoot" on a level crossing on the basis of using his mountaineering experience to undertake a risk assessment... or wibble to that effect :lol:

I suspect that is what Bantamzen is referring to. The intention was to point out that both scenarios are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Chris M

I may be the previous poster referred to (but I have no mountaineering experience). If you think I said I would organise a photo shoot then you really have not been reading anything I've been saying, which kind of reinforces @3141's point in post 122 that a rational discussion is not possible.

There is a big difference between taking a photo or two as you are passing, using pre-chosen or automatic camera settings (perfectly fine if you remain aware of your surroundings and the half dozen safety systems don't simultaneously fail while a train is approaching at speed exactly where you are standing) and a photo shoot whereby you set up in one place with a load of equipment for an extended period.

If someone was organising a photo shoot anywhere where one or more people would not be able to maintain sufficient awareness of their surroundings to avoid danger, then one or more people would be assigned to keep watch and alert them to danger in time to react. Which is, coincidentally, the system used by railway track workers where e.g. welders have someone to tap them on the shoulder when they are unable to see or hear the lookout warning themselves.

Mintona

Established Member
Doesn't the crossing at Moreton-on-Lugg have a crossing keeper/signaller (I forget which) locally anyway? I'd imagine there's a fair chance they asked if they could take a few pics, to which the signaller replied 'yeah you got a 20 minute gap, just don't leave the paved area and onto the stones' and all was fine and well with the world.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I guess the implied sarcasm by using those examples was lost on you?

I posed the picnic scenario in response to a previous poster who stated he would stage a "photo shoot" on a level crossing on the basis of using his mountaineering experience to undertake a risk assessment... or wibble to that effect :lol:

I suspect that is what Bantamzen is referring to. The intention was to point out that both scenarios are ridiculous.

Exactly, there have been all sorts of strange examples cited on this thread, so I thought I’d chuck a couple in hence the Come Dancing, picnic & football references.

Doesn't the crossing at Moreton-on-Lugg have a crossing keeper/signaller (I forget which) locally anyway? I'd imagine there's a fair chance they asked if they could take a few pics, to which the signaller replied 'yeah you got a 20 minute gap, just don't leave the paved area and onto the stones' and all was fine and well with the world.

I have no idea if it is manned or not, but judging by NR’s response to the photograph if a signalman were to give their OK to this then I suspect they might be called in for a tea & biscuits meeting with their manager.

We all know on here just how much pressure NR are under because of accidents on level crossings, be it from system failure, human error or just sheer stupidity by members of the public. This thread started because of a couple have a wedding photograph on a level crossing being used by NR as an example of what one should not do. Some people took it to mean that they were threatening prosecution to those concerned, I do not think that is what they were saying. What they were saying was that if anyone trespasses then they may face action, and by implication they were also saying that the couple should not have been on the crossing for a photo.

And most peopled agreed until some members took to technicalities and arguing over degrees of risk. But to most the risk is obvious, just as it is when you cross a road. Just because you can’t see or hear anything coming doesn’t mean you can muck around in the middle taking photos. Just like a road crossing, passing over live lines should be done as quickly and safely as possible. It shouldn’t need another paragraph in the Highway Code to make this clear, especially where accidents of this nature have already occurred. A live is track is live whether or not it is passing over a public highway, and so the same due care & attention should always be taken when using official crossings whether they have warning systems or not. I would have thought everyone on here at least would agree with this simple principle?

341o2

Established Member
Do you feel equally strongly about photos down the barrel of a gun, or on cliff edges, or the Abbey Road album cover, etc, etc?
Regarding Abbey Road, pedestrians have right of way when crossing. I am reminded of the NR safety video, where they are playing I-spy, something beginning with T, she stops on the crossing asking tree? etc

Deafdoggie

Established Member
What I really don't understand, is why you'd want a wedding photo on a level crossing? Regardless of the safely implications, why take the photo at all?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What I really don't understand, is why you'd want a wedding photo on a level crossing? Regardless of the safely implications, why take the photo at all?

because there seems to be a "thing" with professional photographers for having a railway line reaching into the distance behind a subject. Don't understand it

rebmcr

Established Member

But then the photo does its rounds on Facebook and some moron decides it looks nice and trespasses trying to recreate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.