• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage railway financial problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
From recent (highly unscientific) observations on “two train operations” lines, the public seemed to be perfectly happy on the diesel (be it hauled or MU) as long as there was also a steam loco out and about. The various curiosities of Mk I stock seemed to be of just as much interest as what was on the front- that’s for those who didn’t spend the entire journey glued to their mobiles.
Yes but I’d content those things weren’t what drew the NORMALS in and got them to spend money on admission - i reckon most of them come in for the steam and are then happy to make the most of their day by also riding behind the diesel or on the DMU.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robert thomas

For many children the specific steam locomotive that they know and recognise is Thomas the Tank Engine. The Awdry stories are their first introduction to railways and that engrains a "steam good diesel bad" attitude that often lasts a lifetime. The original Awdry stories are now more than 50 years old and they cast a very long shadow.
Nearly 80 years. I was brought up on them in the late forties/early fifties. Funily I never associated Thomas and the other engines with real trains even as a child. They were just stories.

option

Santa events. (And lights, north pole all seem to do ok)…

So the inevitable question is… if these events earn the most money, to subsidize the rest of the year… why bother running the rest of the year ?

it maybe better to consider shutting down, and opening on special events days only ?

That maybe a better way to coalesce the troops on a volunteer level, and take away the need for paid staff, and give flexibility to volunteers to come/ go without commitments on “non operating” days, whilst focussing on max revenues from the family market on the special event days ?

Organise railways to run more like a football club.

Santa events arent profitable enough to cover a whole years costs, even if you didn't open the doors the rest of the year.
There's a lot of fixed costs that break even days help to cover.
If your insurance is £10k a year, & you only did 10 Santa days, then each day needs to contribute £1000 towards the insurance.
If you open another 90 days in the year, then each day only needs to contribute £100 towards the insurance.
Same with all other fixed costs; structural surveys, building maintenance, leases, etc.
As long as those extra days also cover their marginal costs, then why not open?*

There's also other events that do well, eg Easter/Teddy Bears picnic, Place at War weekends.
Thomas isn't done so much now as the rights holders introduced some very strict/draconian rules on how to run the events & DBS checks etc.

*I know that major one-off expenditures like extensions & major structure works aren't paid for out of ongoing operations, but it's not like heritage railways are the only organisations like that.

Magdalia

Established Member
It appears to me that a) volunteers are quite challenging to manage especially to change behaviours b) there is a lack of appreciation of the financial imperative to generate revenue.
My experience of volunteering was in sport not railways, but I suspect that some important features of volunteering are universal. I found that managing volunteers was very different from managing employees. In particular, employees can be motivated by outcomes to change processes, whereas, for most volunteers, the process is what matters, irrespective of the outcome.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My experience of volunteering was in sport not railways, but I suspect that some important features of volunteering are universal. I found that managing volunteers was very different from managing employees. In particular, employees can be motivated by outcomes to change processes, whereas, for most volunteers, the process is what matters, irrespective of the outcome.

One of the key differences is that with an employee it can come down to "do your job as I'm telling you to or you're going to get sacked", and the need to put food on the table tends to make that an impracticable choice for the employee, whereas with a volunteer it's only of limited consequence - they may lose something they enjoy doing if asked to leave, but will no doubt find something else easily enough as pretty much all voluntary organisations are short of people.

option

Market it as much as you like but it isn't an experience most of the general public want. Telling prospective customers what they want instead of providing what they actually want is not a good business model, rarely ends well and probably goes a long way towards explaining why the SVR are in the sad situation they finds themselves.

Properly restored 1st gen DMUs are a popular ride, especially with families because the kids can sit behind the driver & see them & out the front.

paul1609

Established Member
Thomas isn't done so much now as the rights holders introduced some very strict/draconian rules on how to run the events & DBS checks etc.
My railway did Thomas right up to the pandemic. We haven't restarted the events yet because the high price of holding them means there is insufficient margins left for the host railway. Nothing to do with rules or DBS.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The fundamental point is surely that steam is different to what you see every day. A diesel is still a diesel, for anyone who isn't interested in industrial history
Yes and no. However, people saw steam every day for 140 years - and it created generations of railway enthusiasts.

You could do something quite simple like printing some flyers with a steam loco, and a some with a diesel, and seeing which were taken first
You could.I think it would be one indicator.

You could also do surveys of visiting folks at heritage railways.

Mike Machin

Most enthusiasts are relatively happy to see and ride on interesting, nicely restored diesel trains whether they are loco-hauled or DMUs.

However, the general public really do expect to be able to experience steam. Ideally, a steam-hauled service augmented by a high quality DMU would be a very good compromise for most people, with a chance to see, hear and sniff the delights of steam, but perhaps also the kids will enjoy a ride in a DMU.

Enthusiasts need to realise how the ordinary non-enthusiasts have a very simplistic pre-conceived view of railways. I well remember a young family at Alresford station on the Mid-Hants, and their immense disappointment that their train ‘was a diesel.’ In fact it was steam, but to them steam trains have a cylindrical boiler thing at the front, so in their eyes the flat-sided monster they were standing beside had to be a diesel.

This proves that to ensure ordinary visitors feel they have received good value for money, there needs to be lots of really good and informative explanations and interpretative signage.

The visitors were both amazed and just so happy when I reached out to them and explained that their flat-sided ‘diesel’ was a beautiful West Country Pacific. I was just a visitor but my explanation made their day. Knowledgeable volunteers can do much to enhance the visitor’s experience.

Lost property

Most enthusiasts are relatively happy to see and ride on interesting, nicely restored diesel trains whether they are loco-hauled or DMUs.

However, the general public really do expect to be able to experience steam. Ideally, a steam-hauled service augmented by a high quality DMU would be a very good compromise for most people, with a chance to see, hear and sniff the delights of steam, but perhaps also the kids will enjoy a ride in a DMU.

Enthusiasts need to realise how the ordinary non-enthusiasts have a very simplistic pre-conceived view of railways. I well remember a young family at Alresford station on the Mid-Hants, and their immense disappointment that their train ‘was a diesel.’ In fact it was steam, but to them steam trains have a cylindrical boiler thing at the front, so in their eyes the flat-sided monster they were standing beside had to be a diesel.

This proves that to ensure ordinary visitors feel they have received good value for money, there needs to be lots of really good and informative explanations and interpretative signage.

The visitors were both amazed and just so happy when I reached out to them and explained that their flat-sided ‘diesel’ was a beautiful West Country Pacific. I was just a visitor but my explanation made their day. Knowledgeable volunteers can do much to enhance the visitor’s experience.
Well thanks for quantifying normals and almost normals in disparaging terms. Have you conducted a detailed scientific survey to quantify your findings ?

Your anecdote does seem a shade far fetched given steam locomotives, of any class, tend to hiss and puff, clank and burp steam out from everywhere so tend to be easily identifiable as such.

Irrespective of the obsession, for some, as to the type of loco involved, the highlight for many normal pax was....the stock. Compartments were very popular for a generation unfamiliar with them, as was the quality of the seating compared to some TOC's idea of "comfort " . The slam door did cause some slight confusion at times, easily resolved with a bit of humour. Unsurprisingly, kids loved slamming them closed.

DMU's. first, even second, generation and I freely admit I can't tell the difference, if any between the first arrivals and those that followed, are, or should be, a heritage line essential. They were innovative when they first appeared, the all round view being novel, plus, you could see out of the front and watch the driver....assuming the miserable sod didn't close the blinds.

Calthrop

Established Member

Well thanks for quantifying normals and almost normals in disparaging terms. Have you conducted a detailed scientific survey to quantify your findings ?

Your anecdote does seem a shade far fetched given steam locomotives, of any class, tend to hiss and puff, clank and burp steam out from everywhere so tend to be easily identifiable as such.
I for one, have no trouble believing @Mike Machin's anecdote -- in my experience, people's cluelessness about matters re which their knowledge; and interest taken; is very-limited, to non-existent: can be boundless and amazing, and defy all perceived likelihood. (Not meaning to come across here, as superior / supercilious -- there are plenty of things in life which do not interest me; and my ignorance and naivete re which, would seem similarly astonishing to those with knowledge of the subjects concerned.)

Irrespective of the obsession, for some, as to the type of loco involved, the highlight for many normal pax was....the stock. Compartments were very popular for a generation unfamiliar with them, as was the quality of the seating compared to some TOC's idea of "comfort " . The slam door did cause some slight confusion at times, easily resolved with a bit of humour. Unsurprisingly, kids loved slamming them closed.

DMU's. first, even second, generation and I freely admit I can't tell the difference, if any between the first arrivals and those that followed, are, or should be, a heritage line essential. They were innovative when they first appeared, the all round view being novel, plus, you could see out of the front and watch the driver....assuming the miserable sod didn't close the blinds.
I can't lay claim to any meaningful experience of the reactions of normal pax ("real people", as I and my fellow-enthusiasts referred to them long ago) to the matters mused-on above, by @Lost property; but "makes sense", I feel.

Skymonster

Established Member
The thing is you don’t excite “normal” paying punters and entice them to come in by promoting the comfort of the seats or pushing DMU or diesel services - they may enjoy and even be pleased with those aspects of the overall experience, but the driver for most to make a visit is steam because (with the exception of a few expensive rail tours) they can’t experience steam on the big railway. If they want diesels or DMUs they can go somewhere interesting / entertaining for the day and ride there and back on the mainline, and also enjoy the destination. At a preserved railway they are there primarily for what the railway is offering because few are located in compelling locations for anything other than a train ride.

railfan99

Established Member
The thing is you don’t excite “normal” paying punters and entice them to come in by promoting the comfort of the seats or pushing DMU or diesel services - they may enjoy and even be pleased with those aspects of the overall experience, but the driver for most to make a visit is steam because (with the exception of a few expensive rail tours) they can’t experience steam on the big railway. If they want diesels or DMUs they can go somewhere interesting / entertaining for the day and ride there and back on the mainline, and also enjoy the destination. At a preserved railway they are there primarily for what the railway is offering because few are located in compelling locations for anything other than a train ride.

Perhaps Whitby from Pickering and Minehead from Bishops Lydeard are exceptions to your rule?

Mike Machin

Apologies, I didn’t wish to offend. But I do think that many enthusiasts take it for granted that most people have some experience of railways. The fact is, they are nowhere near as mainstream as we sometimes imagine.
I participated in a classic car rally last weekend, with a friend of mine joining-in with his classic car. He brought his 19 year-old lad along to be his navigator and when we stopped for lunch we were discussing vintage matters in general. When we got around to trains, my friend’s lad exclaimed that he’d never been on a train. He’s well-travelled, has flown extensively and has used the bus to go to school. But, the family car has always been the default form of travel, and with a car-mad dad, trains had never even crossed his mind.

I also remember travelling up to Waterloo a few years ago. We stopped at Winchester, and a youngster got on and excitedly exclaimed ‘Dad, it’s just like plane.’ He was obviously familiar with flying, but was excited by the new experience of travelling by rail.

So, I stand by my assertion that preservationists need to excel in offering guidance, interpretation and answers to enable the public to understand just what they are experiencing.

Apologies, I didn’t wish to offend. But I do think that many enthusiasts take it for granted that most people have some experience of railways. The fact is, they are nowhere near as mainstream as we sometimes imagine.
I participated in a classic car rally last weekend, with a friend of mine joining-in with his classic car. He brought his 19 year-old lad along to be his navigator and when we stopped for lunch we were discussing vintage matters in general. When we got around to trains, my friend’s lad exclaimed that he’d never been on a train. He’s well-travelled, has flown extensively and has used the bus to go to school. But, the family car has always been the default form of travel, and with a car-mad dad, trains had never even crossed his mind.

I also remember travelling up to Waterloo a few years ago. We stopped at Winchester, and a youngster got on and excitedly exclaimed ‘Dad, it’s just like plane.’ He was obviously familiar with flying, but was excited by the new experience of travelling by rail.

So, I stand by my assertion that preservationists need to excel in offering guidance, interpretation and answers to enable the public to understand just what they are experiencing.

Meerkat

Established Member
I was on a train to Waterloo and a wealthy looking group got on to go to Wimbledon tennis. one of them was looking for the seatbelt!
Anecdata but from listening to friends kids they liked going on the heritage train, but what they remember (excitedly) was standing on the platform near the steam engine, with all the movement, noise, and steam that involved. I don’t get the impression they would go back for the ride (been there done it and you can’t see the loco) but they would go back to experience the steam.
A steam engine running around its train is definitely a winning spectacle.

Titfield

Established Member
I was on a train to Waterloo and a wealthy looking group got on to go to Wimbledon tennis. one of them was looking for the seatbelt!
Anecdata but from listening to friends kids they liked going on the heritage train, but what they remember (excitedly) was standing on the platform near the steam engine, with all the movement, noise, and steam that involved. I don’t get the impression they would go back for the ride (been there done it and you can’t see the loco) but they would go back to experience the steam.

as indeed is:
seeing the coupling and uncoupling
seeing a fireman chucking coal into the firebox
watching a steam loco take on water
trying to figure out how to open the carriage door
visiting a signalbox and seeing the signaller pulling on the leaves and using the bell codes. (This is done very well at Corfe Castle signal box on the Swanage Railway).

There is quite a lot to see and have explained.

Mike Machin

That's where longer term, I feel steam centres very much like the GWR Society's Didcot Railway Centre have a much more viable future than longer steam railways. Everybody I know loves Didcot, and for the kids it's absolutely brilliant - engines to explore, exhibits to enjoy, short frequent train rides, something to eat or a picnic.

For children and families, an eclectic mix of activities is much more appealing than spending a long time on a train, something which many children find quite tedious after a few minutes.

Titfield

Established Member
That's where longer term, I feel steam centres very much like the GWR Society's Didcot Railway Centre have a much more viable future than longer steam railways. Everybody I know loves Didcot, and for the kids it's absolutely brilliant - engines to explore, exhibits to enjoy, short frequent train rides, something to eat or a picnic.

For children and families, an eclectic mix of activities is much more appealing than spending a long time on a train, something which many children find quite tedious after a few minutes.

But some heritage railways simply do not have the physical space to offer the Didcot type of experience. For example Swanage Station has virtually no space, Corfe Castle Station has a small amount of non line space (Goods Shed) but the station yard is occupied by a long term tenant who leases the land iirc from Dorset Council.

John Luxton

Established Member

Didcot works well because visitors can wander around the locos in the shed. I was there in 2022 for the first time in 39 years and it hadn't changed much since my previous visit in 1983.

Once, most heritage railways offered that loco shed experience where one could walk around the locos which were not in service or which were going on or coming off service.

Once H&S obsession gained a hold loco sheds became out of bounds but I recall wandering around Bridgnorth, Buckfastleigh and other heritage line depots. Even the Vale of Rheidol in BR days.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Re Engine shed visiting - the GCR still allows this with the monthly "Boscastle Shed tours", where visitors are offered guided tours. Shed Tours also have happened at certain gala events.

Cymroglan

I’ve been thinking about this thread a lot over the Summer and had a chat with our children and grandchildren about what we all got up to. Some trips were made as quite a large multi generational group and some as single households. This is what came out of the discussions.

I should add that seaside visits were few and far between largely thanks to the disappointing weather in much of July & August. However, there was also a sense that some touristy towns and areas had such a poor or reduced offering that our 30 something kids with their own offspring soon learned to avoid them.
  • They felt that too many businesses in tourist honey pots were simply not delivering on quality and range of product, things like very restricted opening hours, tiny portions of jam, butter & cream on scones etc, limited menus with many items not available. It’s the old business conundrum: identifying and avoiding the point when your focus on cost cutting trashes your reputation and drives customers away.
  • They noticed serious understaffing in the service sector and that too many of those in that work were apparently untrained, leading to service that often ranged from disinterested to surly.
  • I’m not going to name the railways, but many of those comments also applied to 3 heritage lines, with the related observation that having so few timetabled trains compared to previous years made trains useless for anything but a there and back return journey. So buses , especially double deckers, became the favoured means of transport on days when the car was being rested.
  • So almost without noticing, the family jaunts switched to other places, notably historic sites which had some amazing activities for kids; the smaller kind of theme park; and towns where there was an indoor attraction such as leisure swimming pools, crazy golf (who knew that crazy golf is seriously big business?), family friendly cinema etc. Certainly, when I was with them in some of these places, I had no complaints about quality of product nor with staff who were generally pro active and actually appeared to be enjoying themselves (especially at the indoor crazy golf!!) Interestingly some railway sites were also huge success with the little people, notably Audley End, Eastleigh Miniature railway, Pulborough and, interestingly, Didcot. The one place the little ‘uns are nagging to return to is Beaulieu car museum!
Apologies if I’ve bored you to sleep, but thought I’d share one family’s take on the Summer of ‘23. Our precious heritage railways are operating in a devilishly tricky market. I hope they all survive this challenge and more than that, flourish!

Mike Machin

Interesting to see others agreeing about Didcot. My friend's little ones love Didcot, but are bored to tears (literally) with most heritage railways - at least the travelling part. Looking into the far future, I would say the heritage/leisure railway experiences with a secure future are: standard gauge and narrow gauge steam railways in major tourist areas (seaside/national parks etc), steam centres like Didcot, miniature railways such as Easteigh Lakeside.

Fpr many railways, maintaining miles and miles of track and infrastructure will become more and more of a costly burden relative to income.

Lost property

Interesting to see others agreeing about Didcot. My friend's little ones love Didcot, but are bored to tears (literally) with most heritage railways - at least the travelling part. Looking into the far future, I would say the heritage/leisure railway experiences with a secure future are: standard gauge and narrow gauge steam railways in major tourist areas (seaside/national parks etc), steam centres like Didcot, miniature railways such as Easteigh Lakeside.

Fpr many railways, maintaining miles and miles of track and infrastructure will become more and more of a costly burden relative to income.
I would suggest near future is probably more accurate.

Costs, overall, aren't going to suddenly start reducing and to be blunt, the "nostalgic wallow in steam and British Railways " isn't going to pay the bills. To survive, many railways are going to have to take a hard nosed accounting approach and review their operation.

This may not meet with the approval of the dedicated enthusiast, but, if heritage lines are to survive, then change has to happen.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
I’m not going to name the railways, but many of those comments also applied to 3 heritage lines, with the related observation that having so few timetabled trains compared to previous years made trains useless for anything but a there and back return journey. So buses , especially double deckers, became the favoured means of transport on days when the car was being rested.
An interesting counterpoint to claims that prebooking and on-demand trains are the heritage sector's future...

james_the_xv

This is a good point, My partner and I went to the WSR in the summer, and while it is the longest heritage railway in the UK, £30pp return on the full length is a lot of money (I got a priv rate, but donated the difference) and I fear if those prices were higher it would drive down demand to a point where non enthusiasts deem it too much, even for the short hops along the coast to Minehead.

(I would have deemed the value of the tickets slightly higher if the two locos on duty weren't both Manors, but a regular punter isn't going to care too much about that)

WAB

This is a good point, My partner and I went to the WSR in the summer, and while it is the longest heritage railway in the UK, £30pp return on the full length is a lot of money (I got a priv rate, but donated the difference) and I fear if those prices were higher it would drive down demand to a point where non enthusiasts deem it too much, even for the short hops along the coast to Minehead.

(I would have deemed the value of the tickets slightly higher if the two locos on duty weren't both Manors, but a regular punter isn't going to care too much about that)
In England perhaps, but the Welsh Highland Railway is 25 miles long and thus is the longest in these isles, and they charge £62 for a full return trip (although it takes 5 hours compared to 3 hours on the WSR).

Llanigraham

On Moderation
In England perhaps, but the Welsh Highland Railway is 25 miles long and thus is the longest in these isles, and they charge £62 for a full return trip (although it takes 5 hours compared to 3 hours on the WSR).
And is a damned sight more scenic and interesting!

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Properly restored 1st gen DMUs are a popular ride, especially with families because the kids can sit behind the driver & see them & out the front.

I am in my mid 40's now and don't remember steam but I have wonderful memories of 1st gen DMU's and loco hauled with compartments etc. Things like that I love to see, steam doesn't particularly interest me and I think as time goes on 1st gen diesel will be of more excitement to more and more people as a memory from their childhoods.

Titfield

Established Member
I’ve been thinking about this thread a lot over the Summer and had a chat with our children and grandchildren about what we all got up to. Some trips were made as quite a large multi generational group and some as single households. This is what came out of the discussions.

I should add that seaside visits were few and far between largely thanks to the disappointing weather in much of July & August. However, there was also a sense that some touristy towns and areas had such a poor or reduced offering that our 30 something kids with their own offspring soon learned to avoid them.
  • They felt that too many businesses in tourist honey pots were simply not delivering on quality and range of product, things like very restricted opening hours, tiny portions of jam, butter & cream on scones etc, limited menus with many items not available. It’s the old business conundrum: identifying and avoiding the point when your focus on cost cutting trashes your reputation and drives customers away.
  • They noticed serious understaffing in the service sector and that too many of those in that work were apparently untrained, leading to service that often ranged from disinterested to surly.
  • I’m not going to name the railways, but many of those comments also applied to 3 heritage lines, with the related observation that having so few timetabled trains compared to previous years made trains useless for anything but a there and back return journey. So buses , especially double deckers, became the favoured means of transport on days when the car was being rested.
  • So almost without noticing, the family jaunts switched to other places, notably historic sites which had some amazing activities for kids; the smaller kind of theme park; and towns where there was an indoor attraction such as leisure swimming pools, crazy golf (who knew that crazy golf is seriously big business?), family friendly cinema etc. Certainly, when I was with them in some of these places, I had no complaints about quality of product nor with staff who were generally pro active and actually appeared to be enjoying themselves (especially at the indoor crazy golf!!) Interestingly some railway sites were also huge success with the little people, notably Audley End, Eastleigh Miniature railway, Pulborough and, interestingly, Didcot. The one place the little ‘uns are nagging to return to is Beaulieu car museum!
Apologies if I’ve bored you to sleep, but thought I’d share one family’s take on the Summer of ‘23. Our precious heritage railways are operating in a devilishly tricky market. I hope they all survive this challenge and more than that, flourish!
There are a number of problems in many smaller seaside towns:
1) there simply is not enough "labour" available (compared with previous years) to enable 7 day a week opening from say 09:00 to 22:00 / 23:00. Single shift working has become the norm hence not being open in the evenings or having a reduced menu on 2 days a week (when the senior chef is day off).
2) Many seaside resorts relied on students to provide the additional labour force required in the summer season. Is it student loans or is it the bank of mum and dad but whatever the reason students do not seem to face the same imperative to go out and earn some cash.
3) Finding chefs / cooks / kitchen porters is even more acute so many cafes etc have reduced the menu down to make it easier for what staff they do have to cook.
4) Food inflation has been running in the 20 - 30% range. Faced with a fear that putting prices up by this has forced many cafes to cut down on portion sizes. ( I have to say though that when you see some of the food waste in these establishments then that may not all be a bad thing - getting the balance right is crucial).

Some Heritage railways have cut back on the number of trains operated. The huge increase in the price of coal and lubricants has forced that. At least one I know of looked at their average carryings per train and decided that reducing frequency would move passengers on to other services. Was this a good move - perhaps we will know when the figures are collated at the end of the season.

At least one big HR I know of has struggled with staff - volunteer numbers have declined; new volunteers being outstripped by those who no longer volunteer for one reason or another. Furthermore many volunteers who still volunteer have cut back their commitment.

It may just be a false impression that I have got, but there does seem to be something of a malaise in the heritage transport sector. I visited a number of heritage transport attractions during August and talked to the staff. Quite frankly many were negative in their outlook; in some cases lower visitor numbers, low staffing levels and being told that projects were on hold had simply served to depress them. At one location one of the staff told me he was fed up with being the sole volunteer who opened up and locked up only being joined by a fellow volunteer for the middle of the day. The paid manager hadnt spoken to him for at least a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.