• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage Railway Guard training

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGray

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of becoming a Guard for the Mid-Norfolk railway. I'm going to be doing my PTS at the end of this month and then go on their Crossing Keeper course in May, before progressing.

However, I just thought that I would pop on here and see what sort of training people got when becoming a Guard on Heritage railways, how it worked, whether you just shadowed someone or if it was a proper course that was taught (and if so what did you do and when) things like that. The more information you can give the better.

I know obviously each place is different, but it would be good to go in to it having some sort of base idea what to expect.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jedipickles

It's been a while since I did my guard training but again I followed the same path you did, got the PTS qualification, then did Crossing keeper before doing my guard training, I mainly shadowed people with them teaching me as I went and as I learned more and more, I was allowed to start trying things for myself before being passed out around 8-9 months later. Although I rarely guard these days as I've just been passed out as a Class 08 driver so hopefully I'll be driving more and more!

steamybrian

Established Member
I followed a similar route as suggested by undertaking PTS first. On the railway I work the next phase is becoming a TTI because not only do you check tickets but get the opportunity to begin to learn guards duties. As there is a level crossing on the route it is essential then you qualify as a crossing keeper as well for the occasions when there is no LC keeper available. Once passed as TTI then the next step is to shadow the guard until the tutor feels you are competent to be qualify.

JonathanP

On my railway there is no Crossing Keeper training, because there are no manually operated road crossings.

I'm not a guard, but from what I've been told the training goes in two parts. The first stage is to qualify as a shunter, which involves specially organised practical training with coaches and a loco, splitting and joining coach sets and learning how to use the radio for propelling movements. This continues until the trainer is satisified you are competent.

Only after that can you start the Guard training, which would involved being supervised by another Guard, and then eventually passed out by an Inspector.

Naturally there will also be training and examinations covering the rulebook and PTS as well.

E50019

When I did my training in 1996..

I was part of the platform staff so knew a little about the railway and how it operated, but we had an evening class totalling 6 weeks I think it was where we went through everything, did some shunting practice, we had a ride down the line and stopped at all the ground frames and stations to be shown what everything was.

After that we we're added to the roster and rode out with experienced guards, we were expected to cover all duty types not just normal passenger trains, so diesel and steam, DMU, freight (inc TPO) and night time working (dining trains) and tried to travel with various guards and not the same one all the time.

After a period of time the senior guard would invite you to theory exam, after which he would conduct a practical assessment (normally as part of a shift) and you would hopefully pass out.

I started around April time and was out on my own by December, it did help that I was a student at the local uni so was at the railway most weekends so instead of helping out in the kitchen car of the dining trains I was now the guard, still got fed!

Simon11

Established Member
We don't have to do a PTS course on our narrow gauge heritage railway.

On our railway, the guard is in charge of the train (it can't move without the guards permission), retails tickets on board and deals with any incidents.

We have several steps to become a guard, with everyone starting out as a trainee guard. They do around 20 turns being trained by a guard and they then get assessed.

If they pass, they become an assistant guard which allows them to wave the flag and control a train being propelled. They still have a guard with them.

They do another approx 20 turns and then again get assessed to be a guard.

The number of turns required before assesment depends on how quick they are to learn the material, their suitability for the role and honestly the quality of teaching by guards.

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

Hi. What is the process of applying for a Guard with a heritage railway?
Do you need to work your way up or can you just apply for a Guard?

MrGray

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses.

I emailed the rail I'm looking to progress with and they sent me a list of the subjects that you cover as a guard. The documents outlines the following:

Personal Track Safety

Signing on and off correctly
Reading Notices/Prepare for duty
Locating train for duty
Guards equipment

Train preparation
Doors
Tanking
Hand brake
Brake /continuation checks
Toilets
Safety equipment
Booking repairs in fault book

Carrying correct equipment
Collection of float and tickets
Daily cash sheet

Coupling
Air braked stock
Vacuum braked stock
ETS jumpers, RCH etc.
Buckeye
Screw coupling
Instanter

Ground frames
Dereham south
Thuxton level crossing
Wymondham north
Wymondham south

Hand operated points

Level Crossings
Train Man Operated
AOCLs
Norwich Road

Route Knowledge
Hoe to Dereham
Dereham to Wymondham Abbey
Wymondham Loop
Wymondham Loop to Mainline

Timetables
Radio use
PA use
Run round procedure
Train dispatch
Signalling
Hand signals
Light signals
Phonetic alphabet

Also, Pudsey, each railway is generally different. Some require you to be TTI (Travelling Ticket Inspector) before, or whilst you train to be a guard. Some ask you to work as platform staff and then TTI, then work up.

Get in touch with the railway you want to volunteer for and ask them, that's the best way.

PudseyBearHST

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses.

I emailed the rail I'm looking to progress with and they sent me a list of the subjects that you cover as a guard. The documents outlines the following:

Personal Track Safety

Signing on and off correctly
Reading Notices/Prepare for duty
Locating train for duty
Guards equipment

Train preparation
Doors
Tanking
Hand brake
Brake /continuation checks
Toilets
Safety equipment
Booking repairs in fault book

Carrying correct equipment
Collection of float and tickets
Daily cash sheet

Coupling
Air braked stock
Vacuum braked stock
ETS jumpers, RCH etc.
Buckeye
Screw coupling
Instanter

Ground frames
Dereham south
Thuxton level crossing
Wymondham north
Wymondham south

Hand operated points

Level Crossings
Train Man Operated
AOCLs
Norwich Road

Route Knowledge
Hoe to Dereham
Dereham to Wymondham Abbey
Wymondham Loop
Wymondham Loop to Mainline

Timetables
Radio use
PA use
Run round procedure
Train dispatch
Signalling
Hand signals
Light signals
Phonetic alphabet

Also, Pudsey, each railway is generally different. Some require you to be TTI (Travelling Ticket Inspector) before, or whilst you train to be a guard. Some ask you to work as platform staff and then TTI, then work up.

Get in touch with the railway you want to volunteer for and ask them, that's the best way.

Thanks mate for your reply. That's the thing... a few months back I did email one heritage railway I think near Swindon and got no response back which I was quite disappointed. But I might try again or try other railways.

MrGray

Sometimes its better off to give them a call or go and visit them directly. A lot of the time emails are monitored by volunteers so can easily get lost in their inboxes.

I've always found it better to talk to people directly via phone if I'm honest as they are more likely to remember the conversation and put in to motion what ever it is they need to do.

PudseyBearHST

Sometimes its better off to give them a call or go and visit them directly. A lot of the time emails are monitored by volunteers so can easily get lost in their inboxes.

I've always found it better to talk to people directly via phone if I'm honest as they are more likely to remember the conversation and put in to motion what ever it is they need to do.

That does such like a much better idea. Thanks, I'll try that

Status
Not open for further replies.