• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage railways with pre-BR rolling stock that public can regularly ride?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Swanage Railway has a Maunsell and Bulleids which they use occasionally but they prefer to operate the MK1s for capacity.

AJM580

North Norfolk has the LNER Quadarts in service as well as several pre-grouping coaches

John Webb

Established Member
Severn Valley Railway and North Yorkshire Moors Railway both have sets of Gresley coaches - NYMR also has a Thompson coach or two.

Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway has vintage trains using stock owned by Steve Middleton.
Not far away the Keithley and Worth Valley railway also has the occasional vintage train using pre-BR stock.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Vintage Trains on the KWVR for the next few weekends. Indeed, running right now.

East Kent Railway has the 4COR which is currently running at present - link to a vdieo about it

Come to think about the above. It is possibly the only Non BR Emu carriage in operation

North Yorkshire Moors have the teak set but i don't know when that is running.
Bluebell have - the Metropolitans, the 4 wheelers (ex LCDR/LBSCR), SECR/LBSCR Bogie coaches and the Manusell/Bulleid set. It was annouced recently they are looknig to get more pre BR Carriages in Service.
Foxfield have the Knotty coaches - quite an achieve more recently as one of the carraiges was pretty much a total rebuild (the brake coach recovered from Rudyard lake)

brick60000

Severn Valley Railway have got a nice variety of pre BR stock.
Great Western (full set, top lights & dining set), LMS & LNER. A fantastic range ! And a lot see fairly regular use in one form or another as the various sets cycle through for maintenance.

Enthusiast

Bluebell has some 1890s Metropolitan Railway compartment stock.
As well as that they have a fair number of pre-grouping stock from the component companies which formed the Southern Railway in 1923. Here's their carriage stock list:

david_g

Vintage Trains on the KWVR for the next few weekends. Indeed, running right now.
Indeed. I’ve ridden in an ex-Metropolitan Railway coach one way and the LYR club coach the other today and the VCT have made a rather nice job of restoring both. The whole set with the Coal Tank on the front was a real treat.

341o2

Established Member
Swanage Railway has a Maunsell and Bulleids which they use occasionally but they prefer to operate the MK1s for capacity.
I've seen the Maunsell coach quite regularly, and there is also the Devon Belle observation carriage

Titfield

Established Member
I've seen the Maunsell coach quite regularly, and there is also the Devon Belle observation carriage
Yes Car 14 is a lovely experience though best from Norden / Corfe Castle back to Swanage. A small supplement (£3?) is charged.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The GCR has run a teak bodied Gresley buffet car (9122E) at various times over the years. There is also the Gresley Beavertail (E1719E) in use. I believe there are a couple of LNER(?) suburbans as well.

341o2

Established Member
There is the former Corris coach on the Talyllyn, the Corris Railway was briefly under GWR management before passenger services were withdrawn, but are narrow gauge lines excluded by the OP?
If this were admitted, does anything pre BR survive on the Vale of Rheidol?

Established Member
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway has a LMS coach which predominantly gets used for dining. Belive a second one is currently being done up as well.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Great Western (full set, top lights & dining set), LMS & LNER. A fantastic range ! And a lot see fairly regular use in one form or another as the various sets cycle through for maintenance.

Visiting on a normal day you’ve got a reasonable chance of finding the LNER Gresley set running. The LMS stock sees a fair bit of use but currently almost all of the GWR stock (both sets) are out of use due to the problem with the door handles.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The South Devon Railway has various GWR coaches that are sometimes used in service.

WAB

does anything pre BR survive on the Vale of Rheidol?
All of the Rheidol carriages are 1920s and 1930s GWR carriages and are thus pre-BR. The narrow gauge railways in general are great for quirky historic rolling stock which makes mk1s seem quite dull in comparison!

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Foxfield has some old 4 wheel coaches, I don’t know what they are though.

Indeed! Lawrie's Mechanical Marvels on YouTube has just posted a video featuring these. They look nicely turned out.

Bo'ness has some teak coaches they occasionally bring out, though I think one is currently undergoing a heavy overhaul. I believe the Strathspey railway have some interesting carriages as well, including an LMS inspection saloon and 'beaver tail' observation carriage.