• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hertfordshire to Nuneaton, best options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dappa

Hi, I've been living in Hatfield for over a year now as I attend university here, I go home every now and then to Nuneaton and I've had different experiences with different train journeys.

The "best" I've managed to find so far, involves me travelling to St.Albans, and getting a train from St.Albans Abbey to Watford Junction, and from there direct to Nuneaton on a London Midlands train.

This usually takes around 2hours in total and is a pretty fast journey, super off peak prices are £10 with my railcard, so I can't really complain much.

My only bother is how incredibly busy the train gets, I usually travel from 2pm-4pm and it's almost impossible to get a seat, it's pretty agonising for a sufferer of agoraphobia.

If I travel slightly earlier or later will the trains be less packed? I might go home tomorrow (saturday) so I'm considering trying to catch a 12ish one to see how that is, does anyone have much experience with this route and when the best times/days to catch it is? or if there is an alternative route nearby?

Thanks a lot.

(p.s an interesting note, about a month ago on the way back home my girlfriend and I were on a typically packed london midlands train, squashed against the doors with all our bags, being aggressively spooned by other travellers, and we decided to get off at Rugby and wait to see if the next train was as busy.

Amazingly the next train was already at a stop at the end of a different track, completely empty and clean, it was like getting on your own, brand new London Midlands train with as much space as you want to relax and actually enjoy the journey.

A few more people got on, not many, it was just quite surreal, anyone ever had an experience like that or know if it's a common occurrence?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
The quietest one in my experience is the 1101 off Watford, the 1201 is busy, the 1301 is quiet enough but very busy north of Rugby. 1401 onwards sees standard peak ramming at various points.

Coming south from Nuneaton (I think its xx11 or something?) the 1111 is the quietest, the 1211, the 1311 and 1411 especially so. The 1511 is quiet until Rugby.

It may be quieter getting in the rear portion, which after Northampton runs behind the portion direct to Nuneaton which takes you to Coventry. Change at Coventry for the Nuneaton shuttle.

But I don't think it will get quieter any time soon. I'm a regular travel and have been since 2008 when the service started. It's difficult to get a seat in the middle of the day from Stafford now, you used to have a coach to yourself at first. It's a popular service.

dappa

Thanks for replying, I don't mind it being too busy I just like to get a seat, are there any days where it's going to be more rammed? I'm assuming weekends.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Avoid weekends! If you want the greatest chance of a seat, leave on the 11xx departures from both Watford and Nuneaton (as a vague rule).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A few more people got on, not many, it was just quite surreal, anyone ever had an experience like that or know if it's a common occurrence?)

Well yes, there are 3 LM trains to/from Rugby per hour. The Crewe/Birmingham ones are always busiest, but thats because of the Crewe portion. So if it's rammed, you could always get off at Rugby going south, and wait for the next one to Watford.

34D

Established Member
Hi, I've been living in Hatfield for over a year now as I attend university here, I go home every now and then to Nuneaton and I've had different experiences with different train journeys.

Have you tried going via Peterborough? Hatfield direct to Peterborough (hourly, mon-sat) on FCC then Peterborough direct to Nuneaton on cross country.

Off Peak return appears to be £48.80. Advances would also be available. The FCC bit would be fairly lightly loaded at the country end (far end of the platform at Hatfield) and reservations are available on cross country.

dappa

Have you tried going via Peterborough? Hatfield direct to Peterborough (hourly, mon-sat) on FCC then Peterborough direct to Nuneaton on cross country.

Off Peak return appears to be £48.80. Advances would also be available. The FCC bit would be fairly lightly loaded at the country end (far end of the platform at Hatfield) and reservations are available on cross country.

I did the peterborough one on my very first journey, it took a lot longer and was a lot more expensive, and I remember it being quite packed too, I'll stick to the watford junction - nuneaton journey for a tenner and just try and miss the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.