• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hest Bank Signal Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Can anyone confirm the current operational status of this box please?

Its fortunes seem to have waxed and waned in recent years. It was obviously in use for many years, but then was (I believe) boarded up a good while, possibly a couple of years even. Passing through the area today I noticed it appears to be in use again and is quite possibly manned still. Did it close for a refurb or was it closed and then reopened ? What signalling does this box actually do, or is it basically just there to supervise the level crossing. I noticed the crossing has new half barriers too.

Hest Bank has always been a nice location, but is now even better with the addition of a micropub which even has a table with a view of the crossing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Bear

It's now unmanned, all of it's functions (along with Bare Lane) have been taken over by a new panel in Preston PSB.

Tomnick

Established Member
It's a gate box (line controlled from Preston).
Its functions, plus control of Bare Lane crossing, were transferred to a new crossing panel in Preston PSB several years ago (signalling control of the Bare Lane area was put on the main panel at the same time).

driver9000

Established Member
It's used by the local Network Rail MOM as an office but there's often nobody home.

The level crossings at Hest Bank, Bolton le Sands and Bare Lane are full barriers worked via CCTV from Preston and have been since around 2013.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the information!

It's used by the local Network Rail MOM as an office but there's often nobody home.

The level crossings at Hest Bank, Bolton le Sands and Bare Lane are full barriers worked via CCTV from Preston and have been since around 2013.
Ah, so that explains why it looks habitable then :) Not a bad little office!

pdeaves

Established Member
Its functions, plus control of Bare Lane crossing, were transferred to a new crossing panel in Preston PSB several years ago (signalling control of the Bare Lane area was put on the main panel at the same time).

Thanks. Further to the prompt, I've looked at the various bits of information I have; closure (as a gate box) was supposed to be 10 February 2013 but the work was postponed until 28 April 2013.

MadMac

Thanks. Further to the prompt, I've looked at the various bits of information I have; closure (as a gate box) was supposed to be 10 February 2013 but the work was postponed until 28 April 2013.
Good pic of the arrangements at Preston. Not wishing to digress too far off-topic, but surely this would be a solution for the long-running issue of the shored-up box at Bamber Bridge?

furnessvale

Established Member
Good pic of the arrangements at Preston. Not wishing to digress too far off-topic, but surely this would be a solution for the long-running issue of the shored-up box at Bamber Bridge?
Much busier road than Hest Bank though.

Status
Not open for further replies.