• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hi all! Got an interview! (FGW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, my first ever post here - just found the forum so go easy on me... :D

After 4 years of trying for this and that with FGW, I got a telephone interview, then an assessment and now I am at a final interview stage for Customer Host.

Does anyone have any pointers with what is asked in the interview and what to expect? I come from a customer service background already so just want to see how I can best apply my experiences.

You all seem like a happy fun bunch, so I look forward to your replies :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrsSundayMorn

Many congrats, as a conductor I don't think I have anything to add but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some pointers.

jack20

Hi there although for a different position with the same company ,mine was very similar to telephone interview,examples of when you have given good cust service,how have you got a team working together,challenging situations etc,I did research a lot about the company but didn't ask me about it ,better to be prepared though so would research just in case yours could be totally different to mine good luck

dapc

How much you love working to help people, examples of that kind of stuff. Dealing with difficult situations, disgruntled customers who have missed there train to fatalities and people being stranded. If you can think of customer service then you should be all okay. Be warned of envious staff who won't be on the dosh you will be on

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Also, I got the call inviting me to interview 12 days ago and the interview is in 2 weeks time, however I've not had a confirmation email and I've logged into the FGW site and nothing is showing about the interview? Is this normal?

dapc

to be honest, railway companies take a long time to do anything. Ive handed my resignation in and have 19 days till day one of TD with no details of my start day or location. Ive heard that someone received details 3 days before there start date. Id give it a week before asking to be honest.

Ironic - about an hour after I posted I got an email with the official invite. All booked.

Now it's time to perfect my technique... once I've worked out what my technique is LOL

Grafter

Good luck with the interview. I'm still at the waiting stage to find out if I were successful at the telephone interview. I guess no news is well, no news....

So, only a few days to go. I know with over 20 years experience in dealing with customer service I can pull hundreds of examples out of the air so no issues there. I'm just a little pensive about other questions they may ask. They also mentioned at the assessment that they are looking for people to start with an aim of middle-end of August. So timescales are tight too. With regards to a medical, presuming you'll have to pass that etc before a formal offer.... Never had one of those done so worried about that too, although I've never done drugs and only a light to medium drinker at times (obviously abstaining totally at the mo!). And finally I would assume with timescales I should hear soon after...? I heard that I'd passed the assessment the next day after..

Any last pointers? Thanks guys :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah well, didn't pass the interview.... Furthest I'd got in 5 years though. Never mind back to the day job.....

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear that but make sure you get proper feedback on what you failed on so you can correct it next time.

These jobs are highly sought after so you have done well to get to interview, onwards and upwards.

LittleMi

Oh sorry to hear, but don't give up :)
Anyway just wanted to ask what the whole interview experience was like and what questions they asked you.

Status
Not open for further replies.