• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High speed along the Medway Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink

First time poster so sorry if this has been covered before, as I live in Chatham we get both the HS1 and the Southeastern services to Charing Cross and Victoria, now on the HS1 where do they change from overheads to 3rd rail?

Deanna Leanne
xx

(Note: fares question moved to: High Speed fares)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
I believe this belongs in the Infrastructure subforum, but in answer to your question, the changeover point for most services is Ashford International station. All platforms are electrified 750V DC third rail, but Platforms 3-6 also sport 25kV AC OHLE. The domestic 395 'Javelins' switch to third rail when coming off HS1.

Welcome to the forum :)

EDIT: Beaten to the post again (!) , but since you're asking about fares as well, this seems like the right place.

Pink

Oh; I’ve never actually noticed on the train when they change also do you know from Gravesend where the train branches off to go to Ebbsfleet and the normal train continues to Dartford and London?

Robsignals

About a minute before arriving at Ebbsfleet. The 25kV changeover happens while stationary in the platform.

mole90

About a minute before arriving at Ebbsfleet. The 25kV changeover happens while stationary in the platform.

Springhead junction, very close to Ebbsfleet. The Maidstone West high speed services which don't call at Ebbsfleet change from overhead to 3rd rail at speed while passing through Ebbsfleet high level platforms.

Robsignals

Ah, interesting - can you say what speed? I thought a moving changeover wasn't allowed. Also are those electrified sidings used much, do 395s use them? Thanks, Rob.

mole90

Ah, interesting - can you say what speed? I thought a moving changeover wasn't allowed. Also are those electrified sidings used much, do 395s use them? Thanks, Rob.

Hard to say but its definitely not a crawl - more like 30/40 mph if its all clear through to Gravesend or down onto HS1. In 2.5+ years I've never seen anything in the HS1 sidings in the quarry. I was half expecting to see some 395s stabled there in recent weeks as part of the Javelin services, but still nothing! They seem a bit pointless.

Clip

Established Member
Hard to say but its definitely not a crawl - more like 30/40 mph if its all clear through to Gravesend or down onto HS1. In 2.5+ years I've never seen anything in the HS1 sidings in the quarry. I was half expecting to see some 395s stabled there in recent weeks as part of the Javelin services, but still nothing! They seem a bit pointless.

You never know when they'll come in handy though to move a stricken train without disrupting services too much.

Robsignals

Thanks. If the changeover fails and the train stops beyond the dual section it's stranded, would've thought drivers are instructed not to pass a certain point unless the correct 'power' indication is lit. Sidings must have points to get in them... I'll get my coat!

carriageline

Established Member
Ahhh, is there more than one possible 'HS1' route? I presume it's not called HS1. As I have seen the OHLE next to the M20, with the cab signalling boards on it, with javelins and, I think, eurostars shooting up it.

A quick few questions, how many different "possible" routes is there from Stratford? I thought it was just to Ashford, via strood, Rochester and gillingham.

Is the part next to the M20 new? As in, built in conjunction with HS1, (I presume it's part of the overall CTRL)

And to get on that part of railway, what destination/routing would you have to take?

Sorry it's a lot of questions, I'm intrigued now!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ahhh, is there more than one possible 'HS1' route? I presume it's not called HS1. As I have seen the OHLE next to the M20, with the cab signalling boards on it, with javelins and, I think, eurostars shooting up it.

A quick few questions, how many different "possible" routes is there from Stratford? I thought it was just to Ashford, via strood, Rochester and gillingham.

Is the part next to the M20 new? As in, built in conjunction with HS1, (I presume it's part of the overall CTRL)

And to get on that part of railway, what destination/routing would you have to take?

Sorry it's a lot of questions, I'm intrigued now!

The line next to the M20 is HS1 (formally the CTRL)

joeykins82

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_1#Route

HS1 runs from St Pancras to the Channel Tunnel portal; there are junctions which serve passenger routes at Ebbsfleet Intl station and Ashford Intl station

The link from the North Kent line to Ebbsfleet and HS1 is just west of Gravesend here

Southeastern's route map shows the HS1 services (the JPEG download version at the bottom is clearer at showing which stations are served by high speed trains on the slow lines and where those trains switch to HS1)

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
The HS1 route runs from London St Pancras via Stratford then to Ebbsfleet At Ebbsfleet there is a short branch connection to the North Kent line between Northfleet and Gravesend.
From Ebbsfleet the main line continues via Ashford International into Channel Tunnel.
It is a completely new railway completed in 2009 through Kent running several miles alongside the M2 before tunnelling through the North Downs and from just north of Maidstone it runs adjacent to the M20 to the Channel Tunnel except obviously through Ashford area.

carriageline

Established Member
Thanks ever so much for your in depth reply Brian!

Just 2 more questions, do all trains just the branch line to north Kent? If not what ones don't? Ones to ashford?

Thanks again!

Robsignals

Thanks ever so much for your in depth reply Brian!

Just 2 more questions, do all trains just the branch line to north Kent? If not what ones don't? Ones to ashford?

Thanks again!

Branching at Ebbsfleet to run via Gravesend half-hourly to Faversham calling most stations, three peak trains continuing to/from Broadstairs and a few peak to Maidstone West or Rochester. Continuing to Ashford Int half-hourly one via Canterbury West to Margate, one running on classic line beside HS1 to Dover Priory a few peak continuing to Ramsgate. Some peak divide at Ashford both ways. Hitachi 395 depot is at Ashford. Reduced service during Paralympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.