• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High Wycombe to Carlisle - route validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zod

I'm not sure what to make from the routing guide maps - the route validity does look quite suspect - but is it permissible to travel HWY - CAR ( either route Banbury or London) going via Lancaster, Hellifield and Settle ? Or am I correct in thinking the the journey through Hellifield and Settle can only be done via Leeds or Manchester - Bolton - Blackburn ?

Thanks
Z

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
the route validity does look quite suspect
There's certainly an error in the Routeing Guide. One of High Wycombe's Routeing Points is Greenford Underground. Carlisle - Greenford Underground is permitted using maps CG+CS+NC. Map NC includes the Hellifield - Wennington - Lancaster line, so that initially looks quite hopeful. But none of these three maps includes Greenford Underground. It is therefore not possible to devise a permitted route using this map combination. I'll report the error to ATOC and ask what the correct routeing permissions should be.
am I correct in thinking the the journey through Hellifield and Settle can only be done via Leeds or Manchester - Bolton - Blackburn ?
Until we find out what the error is, we can't be sure. But buying a ticket from High Wycombe to Carlisle may not be the best way to allow you to make the journey you want.

Perhaps you would be better with High Wycombe - Carstairs, because map AS is much more flexible. Or it may be better to split, to use more than one ticket for the journey.

Assuming you're not intending to return the same day, one thing we need to know is where you intend to spend any overnight breaks. We should then be in a position to offer sensible advice.

General Zod

Thanks John,
Basically I will be going to the Scottish Highlands for a break with friends but enroute we intend to do some trekking east of Carlisle / Cheviots / Northumbria. The intention is to get tickets to CAR and from there get a Freedom of Scotland Pass for continuing up to Scotland. Just thought it would be quite nice to bash the S&C line whilst going up.
A quick aside. I had a look at the route maps and would HWY - PRESTON - HELLFIELD - CAR be valid ? I suspect it may not be valid for a via Banbury but how about for the + ANY PERMITTED ?

Z

John @ home

Established Member
In general, it is cheaper to travel more or less directly to your destination, then have all your overnight breaks on the return leg of your journey.
I will be going to the Scottish Highlands for a break with friends but enroute we intend to do some trekking east of Carlisle / Cheviots / Northumbria. The intention is to get tickets to CAR and from there get a Freedom of Scotland Pass for continuing up to Scotland.
If your main use of the Freedom of Scotland Pass is expected to be in the Highlands, it may be worth comparing a return to Carlisle and FoS pass with a return to Aberdeen, Glasgow or Inverness and a Highland Rover:
High Wycombe - Carlisle SVR route + LONDON £98.70
4-in-8 day Freedom of Scotland Travelpass £114.00
Total £212.70

High Wycombe - Glasgow Cen/QSt SVR route + LONDON £115.40 or route BANBURY PRESTON £114.40
4-in-8 day Highland Rover £74.00
Total £189.40 or £188.40
Just thought it would be quite nice to bash the S&C line whilst going up.
This is much easier if your ticket is via London to a destination station in Scotland. Map AS has much greater flexibility.
I had a look at the route maps and would HWY - PRESTON - HELLFIELD - CAR be valid? I suspect it may not be valid for a via Banbury but how about for the + ANY PERMITTED?
I have just noticed that the only walk-on High Wycombe - Carlisle fares are route + London. Oddly, route Banbury or Not London fares exist as far as Lancaster and then from Lockerbie/Gretna Green northwards, but not for destinations Oxenholme - Carlisle.

I can't spot a London - Carlisle map combination that would allow (High Wycombe) - London - Preston - Hellifield - Carlisle. This would need more than one ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.