• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Highest point on Swiss transport network without paying extra

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
What is the highest point on the Swiss transport network that you can get on a Swiss Pass, GA or day ticket without paying extra?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
What is the highest point on the Swiss transport network that you can get on a Swiss Pass, GA or day ticket without paying extra?

Bernina Pass (2253m) on the Rhätische Bahn?
Said to be the highest point on an adhesion railway in Europe.
You don't need special tickets for the RhB, although there is a supplement for the observation car of the Bernina Express.
You can do it in open air carriages in the summer too.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You can also go up the Rigi mountain with a Swiss Travel Pass (1797m). The views are spectacular from the top. You can go up on one railway (the Vitznau-Rigi-Bahn) and down by another (Arth-Rigi-Bahn).

alex17595

The Schilthorn (2970m) cable car from Murren is included in the Swiss Pass

You can also go up the Rigi mountain with a Swiss Travel Pass (1797m). The views are spectacular from the top. You can go up on one railway (the Vitznau-Rigi-Bahn) and down by another (Arth-Rigi-Bahn).

I did this a couple of years ago continuing to Lucerne on the boat, a very scenic trip.

radamfi

Established Member
The Schilthorn (2970m) cable car from Murren is included in the Swiss Pass

That looks like it is valid on a Swiss Pass, but only 50% off with a GA or day ticket.

What's the highest point valid on a GA or day ticket?

Veteran Member
Wenger and Muerren are also included, though these are lower than the Bernina. General rule - if there's a village, ie a resident community, it's free to get there. Not sure how the Rigi qualifies but never mind.

radamfi

Established Member
The bus route along the Bernina Pass is a little higher than the railway, but only runs in summer as far as I can tell.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I am sure that I had to pay extra with a full Swiss pass when going up The Rigi & The Schilthorn??

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am sure that I had to pay extra with a full Swiss pass when going up The Rigi & The Schilthorn??

I think it's only recently that the Swiss Travel Pass has been allowed to be used on the Rigi without additional charge. I used it myself to go up the Rigi this summer.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Only fairly recently they have expanded the permitted routes on swissPass and its now mostly equal to the GA or tageskarten and gong up Rigi has been added for ''free''. Also with InterRail you can now use many more lines that used to be paid for by discount (but not the Rigi!)
I too, thus, went up the Rigi and down the other side in sept. (on a discount tageskarte-39CHF-easy to get when you buy 2 monthes before and also cheaper as any SwissHolidaycard (swisPass is now the name of their national chipcard). To be sure asked at the ticketshop in Arth-Goldau and the lady assured me it would be taken. On the descent down to Vitznau on the lake we passed 4 up-going trains all loaded full with Asians-there is interestingly also a hot-water dispenser for their noodles-packs at the Rigi-top-station-or your nescafe if you would have known about it.

Rigi offers 50% reduction with a valid IR currently. As far as I can recall, it's been free to Tageskarte/GA holders for about the past 10 years. Great value!

radamfi

Established Member
Is the GA and/or Swiss Travel Pass and/or day tickets valid on the Furka steam train?

jonathan01n

Not the highest one, but the cable car and train from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren is worth a ride. It is quite beautiful. And someone mentioned the schilthorn , it is included in swisspass and the bond museum is worth a visit.

GA = Generale Abonnement is an annual season ticket for all public transport in CH apart from some mountain lines (which generally offer a 25 or 50% reduction instead). A sort of 365 day version of the Swisscard. Germany has something similar, the Bahncard 100. Costs CHF 3860 = about £3000 per annum. There's even a version for dogs available. It's been going since 1898 and as much as about 5% of the population have one. There is an 'impersonal' version also which some communes buy for their residents to use, you sign it out for the day when you need it. Unimaginable to the British, I think...

DuncanS

Not the highest one, but the cable car and train from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren is worth a ride. It is quite beautiful

It is indeed, I walked back from Murren to Lauterbrunnen and that was even more spectacular.

A lovely wee line and a wonderful part of Switzerland.

Status
Not open for further replies.