• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historical 'headcode'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
Short Q: What was 8K23?

Longer version: a contact asks "I have a photograph of D817 Foxhound with the headcode 8K23 – I believe the photo to have been taken in the early 60s and the locomotive does look new and shiny [...] It stands alone, outside possibly a cleaning shed, with several people gathered around who appear to be members of the public looking at it. Does the headcode tell you anything?"

The questions are what was a class 8 in those days, and what working was K? For that matter, does anyone recognise the description as some event (open day?)?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Short Q: What was 8K23?

Longer version: a contact asks "I have a photograph of D817 Foxhound with the headcode 8K23 – I believe the photo to have been taken in the early 60s and the locomotive does look new and shiny [...] It stands alone, outside possibly a cleaning shed, with several people gathered around who appear to be members of the public looking at it. Does the headcode tell you anything?"

The questions are what was a class 8 in those days, and what working was K? For that matter, does anyone recognise the description as some event (open day?)?

Thanks!
Until 1968, a Class 8 was an unfitted freight or mineral working.

To know what 'K' was would need a rough location in terms of a BR Region. I would assume the photo was taken on the Western Region?

Gloster

Established Member
If the loco was on shed and surrounded by non-railway staff (probably wearing sports jackets or raincoats) then it could be either an open day or a spotters visit. 8K23 could be the last train it worked or the last with the photographed end leading.

Status
Not open for further replies.