• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historical Sleeper Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
In which case sleeping car passengers on those trains in the winter can't have been very happy when the adjustable air vents above the berth (or above the door in 2nd class compartments) started blowing cold air on them when an ETH Class 31 was attached!

AFAIK there were never any Welsh internal sleeper trains either for that same reason, although I seem to recall that one of the previous Wales & Borders franchisees (can't remember which one) considered introducing a Cardiff-Holyhead sleeper. Not sure if the market for such a service would have been sufficient for it to be viable, though, and it would have had to go into England and then back into Wales just as the existing Cardiff-Holyhead trains do.

There was a suggestion by one of the bidders for a Holyhead - Fishguard sleeper , along with full dining and doing request calls down the North and West. It may have ticked a "Welsh inclusivity" box - but we were unsure as to whether they were serious.

Shall we say the idea was not followed up.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
In which case sleeping car passengers on those trains in the winter can't have been very happy when the adjustable air vents above the berth (or above the door in 2nd class compartments) started blowing cold air on them when an ETH Class 31 was attached!
The first batch of ETH class 31 conversions all had steam heat boilers except 31424. The WR isolated/removed boilers from some of their locos for the Bristol-Pompey service, but the ER locos 31402-411 and 31417 all retained working boilers right up to when MarkI sleepers finished in 1983.

Hi all - this is my first post here!

Does anyone know if there were ever any sleeper services on the island of Ireland? Or, by extension, any that were within the borders of Wales/Scotland?
Welcome to the forum!

Most of my sleeper journeys were on what used to get called "the internal" while doing Scottish Rover tickets. The northbound train from Glasgow/Edinburgh, which joined at Perth, connected at Inverness with the early morning departures to Wick/Thurso and Kyle of Lochalsh. Southbound the last arrival from Wick/Thurso was a connection for Glasgow/Edinburgh. The southbound train split at Stirling and the Glasgow portion provided a cross platform interchange onto the train for Mallaig.

The two trains usually crossed at Blair Atholl and the sleeping car attendants used to change trains.

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
Most of my sleeper journeys were on what used to get called "the internal" while doing Scottish Rover tickets.

The two trains usually crossed at Blair Atholl and the sleeping car attendants used to change trains.
Yegods, that's awful!

You'd go to bed with Angus and wake up with Donald!

Gloster

Established Member
Yegods, that's awful!

It was not only the traincrew and attendants who changed over, but also cheapskate enthusiasts doing the Far North and Kyle lines on consecutive days. I, sorry, they would then have to find somewhere to sleep during the journey to Inverness among the oil-rig workers who had got well bevvied up before their spell on the rigs.

Not quite never, if my source is correct. 'A Regional history of railways, volume 16: Ireland' (J. W. P. Rowledge, 1995), describing the Dublin-Cork main line, says 'During the winter of 1879-80 a sleeping car was included in the Up Night Mail which did not last; in fact there was only one other attempt in Ireland to provide this facility, on the GNR [Great Northern]'.
To elaborate on the GNR(I) sleeper services: these were Dublin (Amiens Street, as it was then) - Derry/Londonderry (Foyle Road), in both directions, and Dublin (Amiens Street) - Belfast (Great Victoria Street), in that direction only (but see below). No two sources seem to agree on the dates when they began and ended, but Patterson's book on the GNR(I) says from "about 1908" to "the end of World War I". (The November 1908 Bradshaw at Timetable World shows the services on pages 901 to 903, but the Belfast working seems to be Belfast to Dublin only, rather than the reverse.)

I believe the berths were made up on the seats in first-class compartments (the cars were used as seated stock during the day - indeed, I think they were composites and thus would have carried both seated and berthed passengers, in different classes, at night), and some sources call them couchettes, presumably for this reason.

aem7ac

Wasn't there a Edinburgh-Marylebone sleeper that ran via the Waverley Route in Scotland until its closure in 1968? Does anyone have any information on it? Everything I've found so far claims the train did not pick up passengers at Edinburgh Waverley despite originating there - was this empty run until it got on the Waverley Route an actual practice?
I assume it was absorbed into other sleepers after the closure of the Waverley route if not rerouted otherwise.

Magdalia

Established Member
Wasn't there a Edinburgh-Marylebone sleeper that ran via the Waverley Route in Scotland until its closure in 1968? Does anyone have any information on it? Everything I've found so far claims the train did not pick up passengers at Edinburgh Waverley despite originating there - was this empty run until it got on the Waverley Route an actual practice?
I assume it was absorbed into other sleepers after the closure of the Waverley route if not rerouted otherwise.
The sleepers did run right up until the Waverley Route closed, but to and from St Pancras not Marylebone.

In my ER public timetables the Edinburgh departure and arrival times are advertised.

Veteran Member
The southbound train split at Stirling and the Glasgow portion provided a cross platform interchange onto the train for Mallaig.
...but not when I did my first Rover in 1973 (can't remember when it changed) : 0607 arrival ex Inverness passed the 0600 Mallaig on Cowlairs Incline :(

xotGD

Established Member
...but not when I did my first Rover in 1973 (can't remember when it changed) : 0607 arrival ex Inverness passed the 0600 Mallaig on Cowlairs Incline :(
That's the sort of nonsense you'd expect from today's railway.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Yegods, that's awful!

This was a very economical way of working.
Instead of one attendant Inverness to Glasgow and another to Edinburgh and the same in the reverse direction, i.e. four each night, and all requiring to the lodge and return next night, just three attendants were involved each night and all worked back to their home station in the morning. Less paybill costs and less hotel costs.

RT4038

Established Member
The sleepers did run right up until the Waverley Route closed, but to and from St Pancras not Marylebone.

In my ER public timetables the Edinburgh departure and arrival times are advertised.
The passenger accommodation was available to and from Edinburgh, it was the Sleeping cars that weren't for London passengers. (Presumably sleeping car passengers to and from London were to travel by ECML trains, so as to free up sleeping accommodation for Border stations). You could travel say Edinburgh-Kettering in one, so not necessarily actually empty stock! Presumably not many Sleeping Cars attached .

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
I would be pretty sure that sleepers could be booked from Edinburgh to intermediate places like Leicester.

The sleeper service was very regularly used to London by longstanding MP for The Borders, David Steel, whose parliamentary career began when it was still running, and I think was thus on multiple grounds involved in the campaign to save the Waverley route, and the sleeper. I think he was there with his constituents on the last night of the service, when there was quite some disorder by protesters at the intermediate Border stations, and the sleeper was substantially delayed!

Veteran Member
That's the sort of nonsense you'd expect from today's railway.
TBF until 1966 the sleeper arrived at Buchanan Street at 6.25am, while the Mallaig train had left at 6am since at least 1920!.
And the market was niche, to say the least.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
TBF until 1966 the sleeper arrived at Buchanan Street at 6.25am, while the Mallaig train had left at 6am since at least 1920!.
And the market was niche, to say the least.
The Mallaig train was somewhere between 05.45 and 05.55 for many years until settling at 06.00 in the '60s.
For the niche market I might have suggested changing at Stirling for the Oban train then a leisurely change at Crianlarich but I suspect that train left (05.xx (including Euston portion)) before the up Inverness reached Stirling.

To elaborate on the GNR(I) sleeper services: these were Dublin (Amiens Street, as it was then) - Derry/Londonderry (Foyle Road), in both directions, and Dublin (Amiens Street) - Belfast (Great Victoria Street), in that direction only (but see below). No two sources seem to agree on the dates when they began and ended, but Patterson's book on the GNR(I) says from "about 1908" to "the end of World War I". (The November 1908 Bradshaw at Timetable World shows the services on pages 901 to 903, but the Belfast working seems to be Belfast to Dublin only, rather than the reverse.)

I believe the berths were made up on the seats in first-class compartments (the cars were used as seated stock during the day - indeed, I think they were composites and thus would have carried both seated and berthed passengers, in different classes, at night), and some sources call them couchettes, presumably for this reason.
Thankyou, that's interesting. The April 1910 Bradshaw (I have the David and Charles reprint) and the Rowledge book agree with the November 1908 Bradshaw that you cite about the direction of the Belfast sleeper. The southbound journey was stretched out to take over 7 hours, with as much time spent stationary at Portadown as the fastest daytime train took for the entire journey, whereas the northbound evening train took less than 4 hours and was in Belfast soon after midnight. Maybe it was northbound only at some other time during its years of operation.

Ken H

On Moderation

Ran via Settle.

Veteran Member
The Mallaig train was somewhere between 05.45 and 05.55 for many years until settling at 06.00 in the '60s.
OK, corrected - I didn't check intermediate years.
For the niche market I might have suggested changing at Stirling for the Oban train then a leisurely change at Crianlarich but I suspect that train left (05.xx (including Euston portion)) before the up Inverness reached Stirling.
That closed before Buchanan Street - but it worked, with a 6.0am ex Stirling in 1961.

GS250

Didn't scheduled sleeper services run from London Marylebone to Manchester and Birkenhead too?

Magdalia

Established Member
Didn't scheduled sleeper services run from London Marylebone to Manchester and Birkenhead too?
Manchester to/from Marylebone sleepers happened during West Coast Electrification. There was a brief period when the up sleeper from Liverpool also went into Marylebone, but the down Liverpool sleeper stuck with a Euston departure, I think because it also conveyed news traffic.

GS250

Out of interest was Thurso or Wick ever part of an overnight service?

Gloster

Established Member
Out of interest was Thurso or Wick ever part of an overnight service?

In summer 1963 there were through coaches (not marked as sleepers) from Glasgow (Buchanan St) at 23.15 that arrived at Thurso at 11.34 on Monday/Tuesday to Friday/Saturday nights; there was nothing in the opposite direction. And of course there were the Jellicoes and other naval specials.

6Gman

Established Member
In summer 1963 there were through coaches (not marked as sleepers) from Glasgow (Buchanan St) at 23.15 that arrived at Thurso at 11.34 on Monday/Tuesday to Friday/Saturday nights; there was nothing in the opposite direction. And of course there were the Jellicoes and other naval specials.
For many years there was a (non-passenger) service from Euston to Lairg, though I suspect there was possibly no more than one van that saw both stations!

GS250

Timed to meet a Ferry to Shetland I wonder?

Magdalia

Established Member
For many years there was a (non-passenger) service from Euston to Lairg, though I suspect there was possibly no more than one van that saw both stations!
My understanding is that the through Euston-Lairg van was only on Saturday night/Sunday morning for the London Sunday newspapers.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Yes, Saturday nights only and normally only one van through from Euston to Lairg but it also conveyed newspaper vans from Manchester and from Glasgow to Lairg (and from Euston newspapers to Glasgow Edinburgh, Aberdeen and possibly others).
In latter years it ran as a passenger train north of inverness.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Recently come back to this thread, and thought I would try to compile a list of Sleeping Car services. I don't have every regional timetables for every year, and for London, I have only listed services heading away from London; mostly there would be corresponding services towards London.
Unless otherwise stated, most trains also conveyed seating coaches. Also some trains conveyed only 1st Class or 2nd Class Sleeping cars.
Times given are for weekday services; weekend services (Sat night / Su morning, or Su night/Mon morning times often differed, or did not exist.)

London Midland Region Summer 1956 (before start of WCML electrification work)
London Euston dep.
19:15 Inverness
19:30 (FO) Oban
19:35 Perth, also Oban(FX)
19:55 Stranraer Harbour
20:45 Holyhead
21:10 Glasgow Central (SC only)
21:25 Motherwell; conveyed SC Rugby - Glasgow. From Crewe, conveys TC Penzance - Glasgow.
22:50 Perth
23:05 Corkickle. (TC to Workington & Windermere)
23:50 Glasgow Central
00:05 Glasgow Central ; 1st Class SC to Preston.
00:30 Liverpool Lime St.
00:40 Manchester London Road

London St. Pancras dep.
21:00 Galashiels; conveys SC, Kettering - Edinburgh
21:15 Glasgow St. Enoch
23:50 Leeds
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also
23:10 Birmingham New St - Glasgow Central
00:45 Liverpool Lime St. / 01:03 Manchester Exchange - Glasgow Central. Conveys TC Manchester to Edinburgh Princes St.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eastern Region Summer 1956
London Kings Cross dep.
18:50 Edinburgh & Aberdeen. Also TC (2nd Class) to Edinburgh only. (Peak summer dates only)
19:00 Edinburgh, Aberdeen & Fort William. "The Aberdonian" (See below also about Fort William portion)
(On some dates, Fort William portion included in 19:15 to Edinburgh & Aberdeen.
22:15 Edinburgh & Dundee. SC only. "The Night Scotsman"
22:20 Edinburgh. TC and 2nd Class SC
22:35 Edinburgh. SC only.
22:45(MO)/23:00 (MX) Darlington (1st Class SC) / Newcastle (2nd Class SC) Also conveyed TC to Leeds Central & Bradford Exchange.
23:45 Newcastle. "The Tynesider". Conveyed TC to Hull; connection at Doncaster for Leeds.
00:55 Edinburgh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No sleeping car services from London Liverpool Street or Marylebone. The only overnight services were seating coaches only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Western Region, Summer 1960
London Paddington dep.
22:30 (MThO) / 23:50 (FO) Penzance
00:05 Birkenhead Woodside
00:45 Milford Haven. SC only.
01:00 Carmarthen.

Scottish Region, Summer 1961
23:15 Glasgow Buchanan St. - Inverness. Conveys TC to Wick.
(Connection at Stirling from Edinburgh Princes St.; no advertised SC from Edinburgh)

Anglo Scottish Car Sleepers will be listed separately.

Ken H

On Moderation
Recently come back to this thread, and thought I would try to compile a list of Sleeping Car services. I don't have every regional timetables for every year, and for London, I have only listed services heading away from London; mostly there would be corresponding services towards London.
Unless otherwise stated, most trains also conveyed seating coaches. Also some trains conveyed only 1st Class or 2nd Class Sleeping cars.
Times given are for weekday services; weekend services (Sat night / Su morning, or Su night/Mon morning times often differed, or did not exist.)

London Midland Region Summer 1956 (before start of WCML electrification work)
London Euston dep.
19:15 Inverness
19:30 (FO) Oban
19:35 Perth, also Oban(FX)
19:55 Stranraer Harbour
20:45 Holyhead
21:10 Glasgow Central (SC only)
21:25 Motherwell; conveyed SC Rugby - Glasgow. From Crewe, conveys TC Penzance - Glasgow.
22:50 Perth
23:05 Corkickle. (TC to Workington & Windermere)
23:50 Glasgow Central
00:05 Glasgow Central ; 1st Class SC to Preston.
00:30 Liverpool Lime St.
00:40 Manchester London Road

London St. Pancras dep.
21:00 Galashiels; conveys SC, Kettering - Edinburgh
21:15 Glasgow St. Enoch
23:50 Leeds
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also
23:10 Birmingham New St - Glasgow Central
00:45 Liverpool Lime St. / 01:03 Manchester Exchange - Glasgow Central. Conveys TC Manchester to Edinburgh Princes St.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eastern Region Summer 1956
London Kings Cross dep.
18:50 Edinburgh & Aberdeen. Also TC (2nd Class) to Edinburgh only. (Peak summer dates only)
19:00 Edinburgh, Aberdeen & Fort William. "The Aberdonian" (See below also about Fort William portion)
(On some dates, Fort William portion included in 19:15 to Edinburgh & Aberdeen.
22:15 Edinburgh & Dundee. SC only. "The Night Scotsman"
22:20 Edinburgh. TC and 2nd Class SC
22:35 Edinburgh. SC only.
22:45(MO)/23:00 (MX) Darlington (1st Class SC) / Newcastle (2nd Class SC) Also conveyed TC to Leeds Central & Bradford Exchange.
23:45 Newcastle. "The Tynesider". Conveyed TC to Hull; connection at Doncaster for Leeds.
00:55 Edinburgh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No sleeping car services from London Liverpool Street or Marylebone. The only overnight services were seating coaches only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Western Region, Summer 1960
London Paddington dep.
22:30 (MThO) / 23:50 (FO) Penzance
00:05 Birkenhead Woodside
00:45 Milford Haven. SC only.
01:00 Carmarthen.

Scottish Region, Summer 1961
23:15 Glasgow Buchanan St. - Inverness. Conveys TC to Wick.
(Connection at Stirling from Edinburgh Princes St.; no advertised SC from Edinburgh)

Anglo Scottish Car Sleepers will be listed separately.
Interesting the Leeds sleeper went from St Pancras. Wonder when it changed to KX

Status
Not open for further replies.