• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby 2021 Range - Predictions, Announcement, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
The new 'Junior' range (whatever it's called - replacing the Paddington set) looks quite good too; with the bonus of being expandable now.
It does seem to be better-received than the Junior range (this range is called 'Playtrains' or something). The remote control is one of the main reasons for this.

A rather nice Merchant Navy in early BR malachite green.
Is that the one from the Dublo range? Those ones have a significant proportion of the design made out of metal; quite unusual for a Hornby model at the moment, though more are appearing (see the re-tooled A1s and A3s).

-Peter

raetiamann

I'm very happy with the announcement of the class 60s, particularly the GBRf ones. The Hitachi shutter is an interesting one.

As expected steam locomotives dominate the motive power, however I'm very disappointed with the lack of new tooling of anything modern, particularly DMU/EMU classes. I had hoped after the year Hornby has had, we could have seen some investment in that direction.

Peter C

Established Member
I'm very happy with the announcement of the class 60s, particularly the GBRf ones.
The 60s caught my eye as well - I've not been that interested in the Hornby 60s before but the GBRf one looks quite nice.
The Hitachi shutter is an interesting one.
The couplings which poke out at either end look interesting; I assume one can remove them to replace them with standard tension-lock couplings for actual shunting? We'll find out more when they're released I guess.

As expected steam locomotives dominate the motive power, however I'm very disappointed with the lack of new tooling of anything modern, particularly DMU/EMU classes. I had hoped after the year Hornby has had, we could have seen some investment in that direction.
Hornby did see quite a large increase in sales during the lockdowns as people wanted something to do; I expect this may be the reason why the likes of the new junior set and the two or three new train sets have been announced over more modern units. I was hoping for some more modern stuff but the things we've got aren't that bad. A couple more Class 08 liveries would have been good though!

-Peter

Established Member
I was hoping for some more modern stuff but the things we've got aren't that bad. A couple more Class 08 liveries would have been good though!
I was hoping for some more modern stuff as well but some of the 2020 range are still yet to arrive. Some interesting stuff still like more 66's which seams to be a popular model with a third run and I'm sure the mk4's and the Midland Pullman and LNER HST's will be very popular. I'm not sure why they have gone for a FGW HST but that might be because I would of preferred a EMT/EMR HST instead. The GWR pride 800 will probably fit in well on my layout alongside my other 2 800's.

Spamcan81

It does seem to be better-received than the Junior range (this range is called 'Playtrains' or something). The remote control is one of the main reasons for this.

Is that the one from the Dublo range? Those ones have a significant proportion of the design made out of metal; quite unusual for a Hornby model at the moment, though more are appearing (see the re-tooled A1s and A3s).

-Peter

It is labelled as such and does indeed have a diecast body.

Peter C

Established Member
I was hoping for some more modern stuff as well but some of the 2020 range are still yet to arrive. Some interesting stuff still like more 66's which seams to be a popular model with a third run and I'm sure the mk4's and the Midland Pullman and LNER HST's will be very popular. I'm not sure why they have gone for a FGW HST but that might be because I would of preferred a EMT/EMR HST instead. The GWR pride 800 will probably fit in well on my layout alongside my other 2 800's.
I've got one Hornby 66 with TTS and it's an excellent budget model in my opinion. The fact it doesn't have lights and isn't as detailed as other models is made up for by the easy way to remove the body, the provision for sound, and the price. I'm quite happy they've done the FGW HST again as I'm a big fan of that livery, having seen it countless times on the Cotswold Line. I'll be looking into getting it at some point but I doubt it at those prices.

It is labelled as such and does indeed have a diecast body.
Excellent - they look like brilliant models.

-Peter

MotCO

Established Member
They have two different ranges. One is the most up to date models. The other is the railroad range which are cheaper, simpler models which are either old or ex-Lima models that are re released, these are aimed at budget modellers and are subsequently quite cheap.

Does the railroad range have acceptable motors?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does the railroad range have acceptable motors?
I think they’re a huge leap up from the old style pancake motors. Probably not as powerful as some of the top of the range models on the market but they’ll happily pull a medium length train and are smooth and quiet etc with decent electrical pickups.

MotCO

Established Member
Yes, my Black 5 runs really well. I will try do a video of it tonight if you’d like?

Thans for the offer, but there is no need to go to all that trouble. I just wanted to know if the motors were inferior to the old X03/4 or Ringfield motors?

raetiamann

Has Hornby missed an upselling opportunity by not offering a sound option in their locos/units, particularly where files already exist e.g. TTS decoders available?

Iskra

Established Member
Thans for the offer, but there is no need to go to all that trouble. I just wanted to know if the motors were inferior to the old X03/4 or Ringfield motors?
No, they are definitely superior mine runs superior to my full fat Hornby K1 (although that runs pretty good too).

Has Hornby missed an upselling opportunity by not offering a sound option in their locos/units, particularly where files already exist e.g. TTS decoders available?
Some of the new railroad models come sound fitted and are 'only' £100.

You can buy the decoders separately and fit them easily (apparently). I think the key for Hornby is keeping the headline price down. Only £30+ extra for sound is still a bargain.

fgwrich

Established Member

Regarding the FGW HST Set, you have to remember the popularity of the FGW HST sets, coupled with the fact that FGW's Dynamic line's liveried Mk3s could be seen anywhere from Penzance to Paddington to Kings Cross to Hull to Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Inverness, And Doncaster too if you want to model that kind of thing. Having said that, I am a little surprised that a EMT / EMR Set hasn't been produced this year, considering that the EMT livery scheme will live on for a while longer with Colas Rail & the 125 Group.

Iskra

Established Member
Regarding the FGW HST Set, you have to remember the popularity of the FGW HST sets, coupled with the fact that FGW's Dynamic line's liveried Mk3s could be seen anywhere from Penzance to Paddington to Kings Cross to Hull to Edinburgh to Aberdeen and Inverness, And Doncaster too if you want to model that kind of thing. Having said that, I am a little surprised that a EMT / EMR Set hasn't been produced this year, considering that the EMT livery scheme will live on for a while longer with Colas Rail & the 125 Group.
And of course they will still be going for years yet and accompany the recently released sliding door GWR MK3's too, helping Hornby keep the range 'modern.' Modellers of the current GWR franchise appear to be very well catered for.

I've got a pair of IC Swallow powercars on order, the most versatile and therefore cost effective for me doing the early privatisation period as I can mix up the cheaper (and more readily available) MK3 trailers to replicate different TOC's and possibly pick up some cheap dummy power cars in various TOC liveries to go on the other end in the future from ebay.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
I think they missed a trick by not re-releasing some of the TTS decoders that people have been wanting re-releases of for a while now, mainly the Class 50. Quite a few of the Railroad engines from the 2021 range come fitted with TTS decoders.

No, they are definitely superior mine runs superior to my full fat Hornby K1 (although that runs pretty good too).

Some of the new railroad models come sound fitted and are 'only' £100.

You can buy the decoders separately and fit them easily (apparently). I think the key for Hornby is keeping the headline price down. Only £30+ extra for sound is still a bargain.
The decoders cost ~£40 which is a fraction of the price of 'full fat' DCC sound; that was the point of TTS - to be cheaper than the decoders already on the market.
The speakers are the main issue with a lot of them, as they are quite tinny. Replacing the speakers is supposed to be really easy. The shape of the speakers is also an issue; a few of the speakers for diesel locos are circular when a rectangular speaker would fit much better without modifcation.

-Peter

HILLSHOT MAZ

I think this is going to be the year of Railroad diesels and TTS sound. The prices have just up too much and Hornby are bringing out some lovely engines in great liveries. Also I know from my Hornby 66s, they run just fine and pull enough.

very True. :lol:

I would like more modern items but I suppose that some are a bit area specific and may only have one livery that they won't sell that well.

I know that Bachmann are currently redoing the 150 (like the 158) and I think Northern, GWR and ATW liveries are going to be produced and they have done the 3 car 166 in the past in FGW livery. I like the idea of a 175 or the larger cousins of the 180 being produced which are now well traveled on the GWML, ECML and now the MML and a number of liveries can be produced.

The TPE 802 is mentioned in the 2020 Catalogue so maybe it was due this year but got pulled.

Personally I would like to see another MML HST preferably in EMT/R livery but Hornby could do a 'last of the Paxman's' pack or even a Ex Grand Central pack in the EMT revised livery.

Other possibilities which most can be done on existing modeling:
TPE 802 and maybe a Hull Trains 802
MK4's and DVT to go with the 91's.
TFW 67 which would go with the MK4's.
153's in TFW and Scotrail.
maybe 90's in LSL intercity and Grand Central (could go with Mk4's)
I agree with your comments. I was sure the EMR livery would be done on the HST because you can also badge it with Colas. Not sure why they have done FGW. Grand Central 90 was probably on the cards but it is never going to happen sadly. They look lovely but are being painted over even now I imagine.

I collect FGW and GWR and cannot believe they have done yet another 800. I was hoping for it in Trans Pennine which is going to look amazing.

reddragon

Established Member
I think this is going to be the year of Railroad diesels and TTS sound. The prices have just up too much and Hornby are bringing out some lovely engines in great liveries. Also I know from my Hornby 66s, they run just fine and pull enough.

I agree with your comments. I was sure the EMR livery would be done on the HST because you can also badge it with Colas. Not sure why they have done FGW. Grand Central 90 was probably on the cards but it is never going to happen sadly. They look lovely but are being painted over even now I imagine.

I collect FGW and GWR and cannot believe they have done yet another 800. I was hoping for it in Trans Pennine which is going to look amazing.

I have chosen Southern plus Western. The FGW HST has a slot for me, a class 800 but I want the Paddington version and a Bachmann class 166 that's DCC ready too.

fgwrich

Established Member

They've gone for another FGW HST because of the demand - Helped by ScotRail sets being ex FGW. You only have to take a look at Ebay to see single Mk3s going for between £50 - 100!

If there's one I would have dropped, it would have been the LNER Farewell set. EMR / EMT Sets have more value than that set, which ran for 4 days in rail tour service + 1 staff tour, before ending up being split and stored in Ely since January 2020. High Profile Yes, but more limited than the everyday EMT / EMR sets.

Peter C

Established Member
Just seen this on RMWeb and thought it was important enough to share on here.

From https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/160556-hornby-2021-hst-mk3-range/page/2/#comments
1611302491519.png
[Click on image to see larger version. Screenshot taken directly from RMWeb thread.]

Alt. text:
RMWeb User: "Hi Hornby, will the Pullman HST have the top headlight?"
Hornby: "Hello, as much as we all wish it did have the top headlight, unfortunately due to tooling it hasn't been possible. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Essentially, the Hornby 2021 range Midland Pullman HST powercars will not be carrying the front headlight above the cab window as seen - and much talked about - on the prototype. I had written quite a long rambling bit here but I can condense it into one sentence: this is poor work on Hornby's part.
I should say that I was never going to buy this and so don't feel as annoyed as some who've put down for a pre-order or deposit, etc., but I'm disappointed that Hornby think they can make money from something not because it's a good model accurately reflecting the prototype, but because they know (or thought they knew) people would want to buy it.

-Peter

Attachments

• 1611302005791.png
    1611302005791.png
    469.5 KB · Views: 11

raetiamann

As the price is upped for this model, it's very disappointing that it won't have a top headlight fitted. Very poor show Hornby.

DB

They've gone for another FGW HST because of the demand - Helped by ScotRail sets being ex FGW. You only have to take a look at Ebay to see single Mk3s going for between £50 - 100!

If there's one I would have dropped, it would have been the LNER Farewell set. EMR / EMT Sets have more value than that set, which ran for 4 days in rail tour service + 1 staff tour, before ending up being split and stored in Ely since January 2020. High Profile Yes, but more limited than the everyday EMT / EMR sets.

Also, until the withdrawals started, around half of the entire HST fleet with with FGW/GWR and they formed the main or only long-distance trains for all of a large region. In other areas the HSTs were more mixed in with other fleets.

Yes, that railtour set does seem a bit of a strange one. I'd have liked to see Midland Mainline blue livery, which hasn't been done on the current detailed power car models yet (one of relatively few remaining liveries which hasn't). EMT was done previously so not sure how popular a second run would be as the fleet was much smaller than FGW and worked a more limited route. Doing the current EMR ones would end up with rather a mess as it's largely been a mixture of EMT sets and power cars with EMR branding, VTEC/LNER power cars with EMR branding, and then more reecntly introducing VTEC/LNER MK3 sets with EMR branding. In N gauge, Dapol have done it but not done a particularly good job - the trailers don't have EMR branding (which the real ones all do), and the power cars, as with the VTEC ones, have red radiator grilles when they should be black. They appear not to have been that popular as they are still in stock whereas all other recent HSTs they've done have sold out fast.

Peter C

Established Member
As the price is upped for this model, it's very disappointing that it won't have a top headlight fitted. Very poor show Hornby.
Definitely. It shows that Hornby want to try and make maximum profit for minimum effort.

-Peter

fgwrich

Established Member
Catalogue Update. The ridiculous Mk2 TSO dressed up as a BUO is now more accurate Mk2 BSO 9497.

Peter C

Established Member
I expect Hornby will have pleased several people with this announcement:

https://www.facebook.com/officialhornby/posts/10157589777250843:0 said:
We are pleased to confirm that we are working on a 'OO' gauge ready-to-run model of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway 0-4-2 Lion, to complement the recently-introduced all-new 4mm scale model of Stephenson's Rocket. (The model was originally due to be announced as part of our 2022 range).

Built in 1838, Lion was ordered from Todd, Kitson and Laird of Leeds for use on goods traffic. It was subsequently rebuilt in 1841 with a longer boiler and remained in traffic with the London and North Western Railway until 1857. It was later sold to Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, while in the late 1920s it was handed over to the Liverpool Engineering Society for safe keeping. In 1953, Lion went on to achieve celebrity status in the classic movie, The Titfield Thunderbolt, and was renamed Thunderbolt for its starring role.

Marketing and Product Development Director, Simon Kohler, explained: "After the success of Rocket, Lion was most definitely on the list, especially given the public demand. We were intending to announce it later this year or early next..."
Prices, delivery timescales and the specification of the new 'OO' gauge model will be confirmed in due course.

Also discussed on RMWeb: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/162961-hornby-announce-lmr-0-4-2-lion/

I'll leave this for you lovely lot to discuss. I'm looking forward to it; just hoping it's a reasonable price... :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

SCH117X

Established Member
I would be seriously tempted to do a little cameo of the Titfield Thunderbolt with that...
Seemingly to be catered for by Rapido which makes Hornbys somewhat unusual announcement seem like at attempt to gazump the competition
“Rapido Trains are excited to announce we have signed the world-wide exclusive rights to manufacture a range of models to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the iconic film ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ in 2023.

The range will feature a host of highly detailed new models of some of the favourite vehicles from the film alongside the historic liveries they wore outside the film.

Full details of the range will be announced on Thursday 1st April at 12.00. "

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seemingly to be catered for by Rapido which makes Hornbys somewhat unusual announcement seem like at attempt to gazump the competition
“Rapido Trains are excited to announce we have signed the world-wide exclusive rights to manufacture a range of models to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the iconic film ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ in 2023.

The range will feature a host of highly detailed new models of some of the favourite vehicles from the film alongside the historic liveries they wore outside the film.

Full details of the range will be announced on Thursday 1st April at 12.00. "

Now that doesn’t seem like cricket to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.