• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby 2021 Range - Predictions, Announcement, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
A bit of positive feedback on Hornby. I sheared off one of the coupling connections to the bogie one of my Mk3 coaches while swapping the couplings over due to the amount of force required and fragility of them. However, Hornby are dispatching me a new bogie and they don't seem to be charging me! Excellent service and they have resolved the issue very well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
A bit of positive feedback on Hornby. I sheared off one of the coupling connections to the bogie one of my Mk3 coaches while swapping the couplings over due to the amount of force required and fragility of them. However, Hornby are dispatching me a new bogie and they don't seem to be charging me! Excellent service and they have resolved the issue very well.
Update: they sent me a pair of bogies (they must know I’m going to make the same mistake again) and they haven’t charged me :)

24Grange

Re :Prices, surely they can't keep on going up and up? There must be a point somewhere of diminishing returns? Baby boomers with deep pockets won't be around for ever ? Whats the plan then?

reddragon

Established Member
Sorry ! Did they say why? Delays? Covid? Container ship from China hijacked by flying monkeys? :)
On the grapevine, Hattons in particular were rather optimistic on how many of each item they would get. Once, OK, but third time now, just not good enough! Their reason: -

We are not able to acquire the stock to allocate to your pre-order. We always endeavour to honour all pre-orders but in this situation, we are unable to do so.

Naturally, I will no longer pre-order via Hattons ever again! Nobody else has this excuse that I know of. My local model shop also never received Hornby orders, but also told customers they'd hold them 'if' they got an allocation.

Iskra

Established Member
What I do like about Hattons is their trunk option. I buy things,, put them into trunk and when I reach free postage I dispatch!
That does sound an interesting option.

I find their website poorly laid out and difficult to navigate so I only use them for products where I have no choice, such as a couple of genesis coaches I have on pre-order.

Established Member
A thread on the RM web about a press release from Hornby (in the quote below) about allocations has created 16 pages in the last 24 hours. It appears each retailer will be put into a tier based on the shop (Layout, Online), promotion of brand and support they offer.

Hornby model shop Tiers system - Page 2 - Hornby - RMweb

Without doubt these last 15 months or more have proved incredibly challenging for us all due to Covid -19. As with many other manufacturers we have been faced since March 2020 with ensuring that our supply chain remained open and was able to meet the increased demand created by the abundance of leisure time that many of us faced when we were confined to our homes due to the lockdown restrictions.

Our overseas partners also faced some unprecedented challenges both in maintaining a demanding schedule of development but also the increased manufacturing requirements that we were asking of them.

It is unfortunate that as our new product plans, many of which had been laid out some two or three years previous were scheduled to come to fruition during 2020 just when Covid 19 struck. Just prior to the World going into lockdown the new Hornby model railway range, which included some truly amazing products, was launched and so successful was the new Hornby range that we were instantly faced with an immediate and unprecedented demand. Prior to the release and trying to learn from previous years experiences we created an allocation system which we hoped would prevent retailers placing large orders first and therefore by default reserving all the planned production. Although this allocation system worked to a degree it was far from being ideal, with the obvious limitations became apparent as 2020 unfolded, and because of this we believed that the system still needed to be refined.

As we moved into 2021 and acknowledging that the allocation system was not functioning as hoped we decided to introduce a Tier system with each of our existing retailers being placed in one of three tiers.

Tier 1 relates to those retailers that amongst other things maintain a clean and well laid out store and who promote several if not all of the Hornby Hobbies ranges, which includes as well as Hornby railways, Scalextric, Airfix, Humbrol and Corgi. These retailers invariably have an effective website and mail order service but more importantly they would also be able to provide help and guidance to their customers.

Those who have been nominated to Tier 2 tend to be the types of outlet that will also include heritage centres or museums. Those outlets designated Tier 2 must also be able to offer help, support and advice for their customers and are willing to promote Hornby products. Tier 2 retailers will include those on-line retailers who are also prepared to offer help, support and guidance to their customers.

Moving onto Tier 3. Amongst the retailers in this category will be those that may not have ‘bricks & mortar’ premises and more than likely trade mainly on-line with limited support. Such Tier 3 designated retailers may also manufacture their own branded model railway items which might possibly conflict with those produced by Hornby Hobbies Ltd. The Tier 3 store, if there is one may also be poorly laid out, untidy and consequently uninviting.

With such a tier system in place those in Tier 1 will quite naturally receive priority on deliveries especially where a product may be in high demand with low or restrictive quantities available. More importantly the Tier system will restrict the possibilities of orders being favoured to just one or a handful of accounts and therefore allowing for a more even and fair distribution.

The increased demand we have seen over this last year has been very welcome, but it has also had a knock on effect. To smooth production we have decided to restrict the manufacture of several of the new items so that our vendors can focus on efficiencies in an effort to improve their production and volume capabilities. This does mean that the release of some keenly awaited products will be delayed by up to 6 months from their original anticipated release date. We appreciate that in the short term this will cause a degree of disappointment, but in the long term we believe by relieving some of the pressure from our suppliers we will be able to return to a more consistent and reliable release date programme once the recalibration has been achieved.

Making such key and fundamental changes to our distribution operation has not been an easy task and we accept that for some our actions may not appear ideal but what is clear is that we cannot continue with the frustrations for both ourselves, our customers and the model rail enthusiasts that the old allocation system was undoubtedly causing. As is the phrase so common these days, the system is broken and it with such radical steps as has been laid out that we believe will result in a much smoother and less frustrating distribution of our products.

Peter C

Established Member
A thread on the RM web about a press release from Hornby (in the quote below) about allocations has created 16 pages in the last 24 hours. It appears each retailer will be put into a tier based on the shop (Layout, Online), promotion of brand and support they offer.

Hornby model shop Tiers system - Page 2 - Hornby - RMweb
I heard about this on Monday, on Jenny Kirk's Monday Club livestream. I think I mentioned upthread that I didn't believe the issue was solely down to Hattons - and this seems to prove this theory. Reading the RMWeb thread, I agree with comments that people are going to be much more interested in the range of products stocked, the helpfulness of the shop and its staff, and not how tidy the shop is. Loads of model shops are busy with items, yes, but I've been to a handful and seen pictures of many more, and very few, if any, seem untidy.

One particular line from that press release made me laugh; they say they "accept that for some our actions may not appear ideal". "for some"? Really? I've not come across one person who's said, "Oh yes, I'm really happy that my pre-order's just been cancelled - I love this new system!" From what I've heard (aforementioned livestream), this tier system was brought in after pre-orders were taken for the new 2021 range models - adding insult to injury really. And, if I've got my facts right, it looks like Hornby have just done a Bachmann on Hattons - from what I remember, wasn't the reason Bachmann stopped supplying Hattons because they wouldn't supply to a competitor (given Hattons had started producing their own Class 66s)? Again, from the livestream I mentioned, Hattons seems to be in Tier 3 - and, going based on this bit of the press release:
Such Tier 3 designated retailers may also manufacture their own branded model railway items which might possibly conflict with those produced by Hornby Hobbies Ltd.
That seems to be the case. This does beg the question, though, of why people haven't had Kernow MRC pre-orders cancelled (or at least, not to the extent that Hattons' customers have) - Kernow sell a number of models under their brand name, yet seem to be in a higher tier. Maybe the reason behind this is because Hattons make a Class 66 - which could "possibly conflict" with the Hornby one in the latter's eyes (which, for those living in the real world, is so not the case - it's like saying Hornby's RailRoad Class 08 is a competitor to Bachmann's fully-fledged one). There's also the four- and six-wheeled coaches. But this is getting into speculation.

This stuff-and-nonsense about 'tidy' model shops only applies to newcomers to the hobby. The best model shops are the ones filled with stuff, and the ones where you can search like Indiana Jones for ages to find some brilliant deals; these model shops always have people who really know what they're on about, and even if they seem 102 years old, they'll be able to help out. If Hornby cared as much as they say they do about local model shops, they'd be treating those ones with better service - not those with a Henry hoover and a damp cloth to wipe cabinets down with to make sure it's all tidy and clean.
We all know that 2020 was one of Hornby's best years in recent times, with the lockdown boom of new modellers falling for their high-priced hampers. If they wanted to make sure these newcomers stayed with the hobby, they wouldn't introduced bizarre systems such as this.

I'm a bit annoyed with this, as you might be able to tell - despite not having yet ordered anything from the Hornby 2021 range, I've got my eye on a few items. Please correct me if I've got anything wrong.

-Peter

SCH117X

Established Member
Kernows models, aside from a few wagons, have been made for them by other parties so they are not a major competing manufacturer and with tooling ownership changes a number have now appeared in the EFE range distributed by Bachmann.

Peter C

Established Member
Kernows models, aside from a few wagons, have been made for them by other parties so they are not a major competing manufacturer and with tooling ownership changes a number have now appeared in the EFE range distributed by Bachmann.
But a lot of these items are sold under the Kernow brand on their site, and are sold solely by Kernow (apart from the ones sold under the EFE brand). I'd say this makes them a competitor, but given what you've said (and the fact I don't want to get into an argument), it's probably not enough of a competitor in Hornby's eyes.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I heard about this on Monday, on Jenny Kirk's Monday Club livestream. I think I mentioned upthread that I didn't believe the issue was solely down to Hattons - and this seems to prove this theory. Reading the RMWeb thread, I agree with comments that people are going to be much more interested in the range of products stocked, the helpfulness of the shop and its staff, and not how tidy the shop is. Loads of model shops are busy with items, yes, but I've been to a handful and seen pictures of many more, and very few, if any, seem untidy.

One particular line from that press release made me laugh; they say they "accept that for some our actions may not appear ideal". "for some"? Really? I've not come across one person who's said, "Oh yes, I'm really happy that my pre-order's just been cancelled - I love this new system!" From what I've heard (aforementioned livestream), this tier system was brought in after pre-orders were taken for the new 2021 range models - adding insult to injury really. And, if I've got my facts right, it looks like Hornby have just done a Bachmann on Hattons - from what I remember, wasn't the reason Bachmann stopped supplying Hattons because they wouldn't supply to a competitor (given Hattons had started producing their own Class 66s)? Again, from the livestream I mentioned, Hattons seems to be in Tier 3 - and, going based on this bit of the press release:

That seems to be the case. This does beg the question, though, of why people haven't had Kernow MRC pre-orders cancelled (or at least, not to the extent that Hattons' customers have) - Kernow sell a number of models under their brand name, yet seem to be in a higher tier. Maybe the reason behind this is because Hattons make a Class 66 - which could "possibly conflict" with the Hornby one in the latter's eyes (which, for those living in the real world, is so not the case - it's like saying Hornby's RailRoad Class 08 is a competitor to Bachmann's fully-fledged one). There's also the four- and six-wheeled coaches. But this is getting into speculation.

This stuff-and-nonsense about 'tidy' model shops only applies to newcomers to the hobby. The best model shops are the ones filled with stuff, and the ones where you can search like Indiana Jones for ages to find some brilliant deals; these model shops always have people who really know what they're on about, and even if they seem 102 years old, they'll be able to help out. If Hornby cared as much as they say they do about local model shops, they'd be treating those ones with better service - not those with a Henry hoover and a damp cloth to wipe cabinets down with to make sure it's all tidy and clean.
We all know that 2020 was one of Hornby's best years in recent times, with the lockdown boom of new modellers falling for their high-priced hampers. If they wanted to make sure these newcomers stayed with the hobby, they wouldn't introduced bizarre systems such as this.

I'm a bit annoyed with this, as you might be able to tell - despite not having yet ordered anything from the Hornby 2021 range, I've got my eye on a few items. Please correct me if I've got anything wrong.

-Peter
Kernow do limited editions manufactured by Bachmann & Heljan in the most part, so not a manufacturer. They may even do Hornby limited editions?

With Hattons in tier 3, no wonder orders were cancelled and I was able to switch to Kernow, I assume a tier 1.

But a lot of these items are sold under the Kernow brand on their site, and are sold solely by Kernow (apart from the ones sold under the EFE brand). I'd say this makes them a competitor, but given what you've said (and the fact I don't want to get into an argument), it's probably not enough of a competitor in Hornby's eyes.

-Peter
No, I have their 'own brand' stuff and underneath it says Bachmann or Heljan.

Also, they supply for Model zone specials, a major magazine led supplier, so not a shop to cross maybe?

Peter C

Established Member
Kernow do limited editions manufactured by Bachmann & Heljan in the most part, so not a manufacturer. They may even do Hornby limited editions?
Ah OK - so I was wrong. Thanks (and thanks to @SCH117X) for correcting me. :) I'd assumed they'd fall under the same bracket as Hattons with their 66s.

With Hattons in tier 3, no wonder orders were cancelled and I was able to switch to Kernow, I assume a tier 1.
Kernow being in tier one is a sensible assumption - it might even have been confirmed somewhere? Just a shame that Hornby seem to think this is the right way of doing things. Complete and utter farce in my opinion.

No, I have their 'own brand' stuff and underneath it says Bachmann or Heljan.
Thanks for clarifying. I've not bought any of those and so couldn't really comment properly.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
'Shop tidiness' seems a bit of a subjective criteria, that allows Hornby to place retailers in the tier that suits Hornby, without recourse.

Tier 3 also seemed a bit anti-amazon to me, although I could be wrong.

Peter C

Established Member
'Shop tidiness' seems a bit of a subjective criteria, that allows Hornby to place retailers in the tier that suits Hornby, without recourse.
You've hit the metaphorical nail on the head there. I wonder if the shop in the Visitor Centre in Margate (is that right?) will be in tier one... ;)

Tier 3 also seemed a bit anti-amazon to me, although I could be wrong.
Which is odd, considering Hornby has been venturing onto Amazon in recent weeks/months.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Hattons, sadly, asked for it by competing directly with their main suppliers and have lost Bachmann and now a lot of Hornby premium models.

Goodbye Hattons, hello Kernow!

Peter C

Established Member
Hattons, sadly, asked for it by competing directly with their main suppliers and have lost Bachmann and now a lot of Hornby premium models.

Goodbye Hattons, hello Kernow!
Personally, I think Hattons only ever competed with Bachmann with their 66 - Hornby's is a different thing altogether. There may be an argument for competition between Hornby and Hattons on the four- and six-wheeled coach front, but even so, that's a hard comparison to make given Hattons publicised their project ages before Hornby publicised theirs.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Hornby announced a new addition to their 2021 range on 1st June - a long-wheelbase wagon. Here's what they shared on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/hornby/status/1399653212760817666 said:
Celebrate #PrideMonth with our new #Pride Van! Not only will this #Van provide a great splash of colour to any layout but it supports the #LGBTQ+ Community, alongside other models in our 2021 range. Be inclusive with this web exclusive!
Right pointing backhand index
https://bit.ly/3g79839 #LoveisLove
1622740764970.png

Several people responded to this, asking if Hornby were donating (some of the) profits made from the sale of this model to LGBTQ+ charities. They responded yesterday:
https://twitter.com/hornby/status/1400107415920652291 said:
Please be advised we're not donating any money at present but we'll be keeping this in mind for the future. We wanted to show our commitment to the LGBTQ+ Community with this model alongside our existing Pride models & hope that it'll be a benefit & encourage awareness. Thank you [sic]

In addition, here's a recent Hornby Engine Shed blog post:
https://uk.hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/p2-and-proud-celebrating-pride said:
P2 and Proud!
1622740990336.png
Welcome to this month’s Engine Shed which in this edition celebrates international Pride month by exploring a collection of models associated with the Pride movement. This includes our latest Class 66 livery, the Avanti Pride Pendolino livery artwork and the newly announced Pride wagon. In addition to these Pride themed models, we will also be taking a look at the latest renders for all three of the P2 variations announced by Hornby earlier this year including the greatly anticipated streamlined and new build locomotives. On top of this we will also be taking a quick look at a few models that will be shipping soon including The Beatles collectable wagons and new Skaledale buildings.

Pride of GBRf:​

Along with some of our other new Class 66 liveries, including the GBRf ‘Forest City’, the Colas ‘David Maidment OBE’ and the GBRf/MSC ‘Sorrento’, this month Hornby received decoration samples for the Pride liveried GBRf Class 66 66773 ‘Pride of GB Railfreight’. The name was chosen for GBRf by columnist Mathew Paris of The Times and, along with the addition of rainbow colouring to its livery, recognises LGBTQ+ employees across the rail industry and GBRf’s commitment to diversity and equality. The model includes the Pride rainbow while maintaining the recognisable GBRf livery and branding making this model a great addition to the Hornby collection of GBRf or Class 66 locomotives.
R30023_2.jpg

R30023_3.jpg

R30023_6.jpg

R30023_5.jpg

Avanti Pride Livery:​

Continuing this editions Pride theme we have the artwork for the upcoming Avanti Pride Pendolino and corresponding coaches which together allow the running of 9 of the 11 cars that make up the unit. Avanti West Coast unveiled this unique livery on the 25th of August last year. Billed as the biggest Pride flag the UK has seen on the side of a train, the new livery wraps the full length of the 11 carriages in the Progressive Pride flag colours. The first service of this newly liveried train was staffed by an LGBTQ+ crew with the train filled with literature, stories and colourful posters featuring Pride related information as well as fun facts during the onboard announcements. After asking the public to submit suggestions it was announced last October that the train would be named ‘Progress’.
R30081-Avanti-Pride-Pendolino-DMRF-power-RBow.jpg

When creating the artwork our designer found that the PRIDE lettering did not fit around the other Pride colours in the same way as they did in photographs of the real thing, this being despite having official artwork and fonts to reference. It was realised that inverting the E allowed all of the ‘PRIDE’ letters to be kept at the correct height while intersecting the rainbow lines in the correct places. At first the concern was whether the graphics for the letter ‘E’ had been mistakenly applied upside down on the real train however it appears that this was actually an ingenious solution to the black window surrounds fully covering the central bar of the ‘E’ when it was in the normal orientation, making the word ‘PRIDE’ unreadable.

Pride Van:​

Rounding out our selection of Pride based model developments, as an extra special way of celebrating international Pride month Hornby has announced a new collectable wagon. Featuring the words ‘Pride’ and ‘love is love’ along with an artistically applied Pride flag, this unique wagon certainly sends a positive message. The wagon has just been launched exclusively on the Hornby website is available to purchase here.
R60061_2.jpg

R60061_1.jpg

LNER Class P2 Renders:​

The announcement of Hornby’s new range of LNER Class P2 locomotives was without doubt one of the highlights of the 2021 range. It is always exciting to begin development on a large locomotive but to produce a class as unique as the 2-8-2 P2s is particularly so.
The last development update on the P2 was provided in the January edition of the Engine Shed along with other new range announcements. The CAD images shown featured P2 2002 ‘Earl Marischal’ in its later double smoke deflector guise. Since those images, the chassis of all P2s have been re-worked to introduce even more detail, and the other P2 locomotives announced, 2003 ‘Lord President’ and new-build 2007 ‘Prince of Wales’ have also progressed significantly.
HA-01709.1279.jpg

HA-01709.1280.jpg

The above renders show the latest updates to 2002 ‘Earl Marischal’. Changes to the chassis have included a re-work of the front bogie detail, changes to rivet detail, a re-work of the rear of the chassis to rectify an inaccuracy close to the rear steps and trailing wheel axle box, changes to the wheel faces, and a few non-cosmetic alterations designed to ensure quality Is not lost during the production process.
HA-01787.1273.jpg

HA-01787.1274.jpg

HA-01787.1288.jpg

The above renders show the latest version of 2003 ‘Lord President’. Despite looking similar to the A4 and W1 Streamlined front, the P2s streamlined casing has its own unique geometry and a few unique details. It was often the case during this era that engineering drawings differed from the final locomotive as construction relied heavily on the skills of the workers building them. A particular feature of the original locomotives was the way the casing was forced around the cylinders which from photos appears to have resulted in different creases on each unique locomotive. The challenge for the Hornby designers was to design the model in such a way as to reflect an idealised pristine condition while still matching faithful to the real locomotive rather than the engineering drawings.
HA-01765.1277.jpg

HA-01765.1276.jpg

The other all new P2 locomotive announced was the new-build 2007 ‘Prince of Wales’ (shown above) which is currently being constructed in Darlington by the same team who built the Peppercorn A1 ‘Tornado’. 2007 features many unique design variations necessary to enable it to run on today’s mainlines and to enable it to share parts with ‘Tornado’, significantly simplifying building and maintenance. These range from easily noticeable changes such as the tender design and steam generators to much subtler differences such as the reduction of beading around the smokebox to fit within the loading gauge and the introduction of storage cupboards below the driving seats. An additional point of interest is that the locomotive features a modified version of the Lentz rotary-cam poppet valve gear originally fitted to the first P2 ‘Cock O’ the North’.

HA-01787.1287.jpg

HA-01765.1289.jpg

The images above not only show the high level of detail represented in the cab, but also the attention that has been given to ensure the cab for each locomotive is accurate. The locomotive on the left is 2003 ‘Lord President’ while 2007 ‘Prince of Wales’ is shown on the right featuring all of the contemporary modifications needed to meet today’s mainline running requirements as well as having changes related to the Caprotti valve gear.
All models feature removable NEM sockets on the front bogie to which any NEM coupling can be fitted. As always the above images may not be perfect representations of the final model and any feedback is welcome.

Latest Arrivals:​

This month we have a diverse selection of new models arriving ranging from a contemporary train pack to quaint Skaledale items. Listed below are a few particularly anticipated and interesting items, all of which are scheduled to have just arrived or arriving over the coming weeks.

Avanti West Coast Pendolino:

While we wait for the upcoming Pride Pendolino, the more common Avanti West Coast liveried Pendolino, liveried in Avanti’s eye-catching geometric livery can be bought right now. The train set features four cars while the additional coaches required to run a 9-car set are available separately and all of these models faithfully replicate the famous tilting mechanism found on the real thing. This is a must have for anyone interested in modern day railways, especially those modelling the West Coast Mainline.
AWC-Pendo.jpg

R3952 - Avanti West Coast, Class 390 Pendolino Train Pack – Era 11
R40015 - Avanti West Coast Pendolino Pantograph Standard Buffet PTSR – Era 11
R40016 - Avanti West Coast Pendolino Trailer Standard TS – Era 11
R40017 - Avanti West Coast Pendolino Motor First MF – Era 11
R40018 - Avanti West Coast Pendolino Motor Standard (MS) – Era 11
R40019 - Avanti West Coast, Pendolino Motor Standard (MS) – Era 11

The Beatles Wagons:

Another set of highly collectable wagons, a selection of The Beatles vans each feature artwork related to The Beatles extensive and iconic collection of album covers. They will certainly add interest to any layout or alternatively make great display items for The Beatles fans.

R60008_1_The-Beatles-Sgt-Pepper-Wagon.jpg

R60009_1_The-Beatles-Help-Wagon.jpg

R60010_1_The-Beatles-Yellow-Submarine-Wagon.jpg

R60011_1_The-Beatles-Magical-Mystery-Tour-Wagon.jpg

R60008 - The Beatles 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' Van
R60009 - The Beatles 'Help!' Van
R60010 - The Beatles 'Yellow Submarine' Van
R60011 - The Beatles 'Magical Mystery Tour' Van

Skaledale Items:

Although I am sure for many of us our first experience of model railways consisted of a simple oval of track sat on the floor, it’s fair to say that no layout is complete without proper attention being given to the scenery. This month we are receiving many new additions to Skaledale range and below I have listed some of my favourite new models.
R7272_3_Stone-Bus-Stop.jpg

R7272 – Stone Bus Stop
R7269_1_The-Offie.jpg

R7269 – ‘The Offie
R7266_3_The-Old-Rectory.jpg

R7266 – The Old Rectory
R7265_1_Alms-Houses.jpg

R7265 – Alms House

Ready to Play Track Packs:

Due to popular demand Hornby is pleased to be able to offer the following track expansion packs for the R1268 Remote Control ‘Hogwarts Express’ Train Set. For those who are not familiar with the set, it is a larger scale set produced by our friends at Lionel and an ideal introduction to model railways thanks to its durable construction and fun features such as sounds and lights.
R7332_1.jpg

R7332 - Ready to Play Straight Track Pack (12pcs)
R7333 - Ready to Play Curved Track Pack (12pcs)
R7334 - Ready to Play Right and Left Hand Manual Switches (2pcs)

Message from Montana:​

We’ve just had a lovely long bank holiday weekend, the sun is shining in Margate and we have just launched a new wagon, so today is a good day! In addition to this we’ve got lots to look forward to over the next few weeks, plus lots of positive points to recap on!

#PrideMonth

192409045_10157764554420843_1279597870287408856_n.jpg

Pride month has officially begun and to celebrate we have introduced a new van featuring a specially designed livery, affirming our continued commitment to supporting the LGBTQ+ community and the pride movement
This stunning '00' gauge model will be arriving imminently and is currently available to pre-order EXCLUSIVELY via the Hornby website! If you haven’t already do check out our other pride related models, including the Avanti West Coast, Class 390 Pendolino Train Pack, 390119 'Progress' and additional coaches, the GWR, Class 800, Trainbow Train Pack and the GBRf, Class 66, Co-Co, 66773 'Pride of GB Railfreight'.
#PrideMonth #LoveIsLove

Website Exclusives

r30079tts_1_rcs-class-47-lady-diana-spencer.jpg

r30080_1_class-47-593.jpg

Have you seen our range of website exclusive models? Launched earlier this year the ScotRail, Class 47, Co-Co, 47712 'Lady Diana Spencer' and BR, Class 47, Co-Co, 47593 ‘Galloway Princess’ are available exclusively via Hornby.com, along with a selection of Mk3, Rail Charter Services coaches.
For all the finer details of each product please see the links below.
R30079TTS - ScotRail, Class 47, Co-Co, 47712 'Lady Diana Spencer' - Era 7 – WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE
R30080 - BR, Class 47, Co-Co, 47593 ‘Galloway Princess’ – Era 7 – WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE
R40182 - RCS, Mk3 First Open, 11076 Coach A - Era 11 – WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE
R40182A - RCS, Mk3 First Open, 11091 Coach B - Era 11 – WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE
R40182B - RCS, Mk3 First Open, 11075 Coach C - Era 11 – WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE
R40182C - RCS, Mk3 First Open, 11077 Coach D - Era 11 – WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE
R40183 - RCS, Mk2d, Crew Coach, 17159 - Era 11 – WEBSITE EXCLUSIVE

The Final Countdown!

7397HY_Hornby_Playtrains_Web_Banner_2000x595.jpg

There are just six weeks to go before we take delivery of the brand new Playtrains range and we can’t wait! We have a whole selection of marketing activities in the mix which will come to life in the coming weeks but in the meantime if you would like further information about the range click here. Or if you’re interested in obtaining a Playtrains brochure featuring all the finer product details email [email protected] and we will post you one free of charge.

Treat Your Dad This Father's Day

r60017_1_fathers-day-2021-wagon.jpg

Sunday 20th June – save the date and celebrate Father’s Day in ultimate model railway style with our Father’s Day Wagon! This bold and vibrant wagon will look great on any layout and it’s also an ideal collectable model! If your Dad or Grandad are partial to a fictitious livery then we have plenty more to offer, including Coca-Cola Wagons, a Happy Birthday themed Wagon, a 2021 Annual Wagon and plenty more! Check out our broad selection of wagons here!

New Family Fun Project Packs

Following the success of the previous Family Fun Project Packs produced in recent years, last month we introduced two new versions. The Family Fun Project is all about the family getting together to build a model railway layout, featuring all the trimmings – scenery, buildings, people and so much more!
The starter pack includes everything you need to a build your perfect '00' gauge scenic model railway layout, including useful literature, such as a set of instructions to help you and the family throughout every step, the Hornby Track Plans Book and the 2020 Catalogue to give you inspiration on other products which can be added. The instructions included provide guidance, but really there are no rules! The Family Fun Project is all about being creative, open-minded and having great family fun along the way! In addition to the Starter Pack there is also an Add On Pack, ideal for those who already have the nuts of bolts of a layout but are looking to add a new locomotive and rolling stock.
Click here to for more information about the Starter Pack and click here for the Add On Pack.

Be sure to follow Hornby on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to be kept up to date on all the latest news and product updates. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Hornby YouTube channel too!

Finally...​

As is quickly becoming the norm, what was intended as a shorter Engine Shed has ended up being as packed as ever so thank you for reading this far. I hope this month’s edition has demonstrated not only Hornby’s commitment to supporting diversity, but also the diversity of products that Hornby now produces. There has never been a greater variety of railway subjects to model despite recent trends towards standardisation of rolling stock in each region, often thanks to operator’s willingness to produce special one-off liveries and also due to the number of companies currently operating trains in Britain. Any feedback on the developments mentioned this month is always welcomed along with any other comments which can be left below, directed to our social media accounts or directed to the Engine Shed E-mail account at [email protected]. As always, thank you for being such a great community.

All the best,
The Engine Shed Team

© Hornby Hobbies Ltd. All rights reserved.

The P2 model certainly looks interesting - but I've just had a look at this one (R3984 - LNER, P2 Class, 2-8-2, 2002 Earl Marischal - Era 3), and it's £209.99. I'd argue that's out of the reach of most people.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Hornby have updated their statement for those who are interested:

Yes - thanks for sharing! Quoted below:
Following the launch of the Hornby LGBTQ+ Pride Wagon on Tuesday, we would like to say sorry! We have got this wrong and deeply apologise - waving the flag is not enough. We must promote the LGBTQ+ Community by donating the proceeds. Please see continued information below. So we now turn to you and ask where best within the community the proceeds should be donated. Again we apologise to everyone who was offended – this was of course never our intention and for that we are sorry. Please do share your suggestions regarding where you think the proceeds should go by emailing [email protected]. Thank you.
A good move from Hornby. Let's hope they learn from this - I hope they will - but all this didn't need to happen.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
My question is simple.

If Hornby are 'pressured' into making donations to this group because its the thing at the moment, do they also 'have' to for other groups, such as Help the Hero's when a loco has a military name, the NHS if it has their logo, the A1 / P2 group for theirs or the 5-BEL trust? Did the relevant Engineering Association get a donation for any IKB related product, was the Paddington Bear class 800 expensive for a reason? I know London Transport Museum take a huge cut on models of theirs.

Just interested in opinions!

Peter C

Established Member
My question is simple.

If Hornby are 'pressured' into making donations to this group because its the thing at the moment, do they also 'have' to for other groups, such as Help the Hero's when a loco has a military name, the NHS if it has their logo, the A1 / P2 group for theirs or the 5-BEL trust? Did the relevant Engineering Association get a donation for any IKB related product, was the Paddington Bear class 800 expensive for a reason? I know London Transport Museum take a huge cut on models of theirs.

Just interested in opinions!
I think people's issue with the wagon was that Hornby had proved before that they were able to donate money to a charity when making a model relevant to it.
One of the main issues people had with this model was the fact that Hornby seemed to be using the concept of Pride Month to be seen to be doing the right thing and to get some more sales. This may well have not been what they intended, but it's how it appeared.
Given Hornby have a couple of other trainbow models in their 2021 range - GWR's 800008 and Avanti's Progress unit - I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to donate at least some of the profits made from the sale of those models to relevant LGBTQ+ charities. To suggest that any group should receive money from the sale of a model because it bares the name of said group, or was designed by a certain person, is not the same sort of thing as the issue here.
If Hornby make a model of 60103 'Flying Scotsman', they show in the catalogue that the name is owned by a certain group - I can't remember which, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't just the NRM - it's likely that some of the money Hornby makes from that model will go towards paying for the license to use that name. This money is, at least in part, likely to go towards the upkeep of the engine or other costs surrounding it.

I think it’s untrue to suggest that donating some of the profits from a wagon which already costs the best part of £20 is 'the thing at the moment'. Companies across the country and throughout the world have produced products related to the LGBTQ+ Community and have donated some of the proceeds to charities so that they are actually having a positive impact on the world. The amount of money Hornby raised from their 66731 model last year was brilliant and such an act could easily be replicated again. It's not a lot to ask, especially considering we know Hornby are hardly still in a poor financial state.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I think people's issue with the wagon was that Hornby had proved before that they were able to donate money to a charity when making a model relevant to it.
One of the main issues people had with this model was the fact that Hornby seemed to be using the concept of Pride Month to be seen to be doing the right thing and to get some more sales. This may well have not been what they intended, but it's how it appeared.
Given Hornby have a couple of other trainbow models in their 2021 range - GWR's 800008 and Avanti's Progress unit - I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to donate at least some of the profits made from the sale of those models to relevant LGBTQ+ charities. To suggest that any group should receive money from the sale of a model because it bares the name of said group, or was designed by a certain person, is not the same sort of thing as the issue here.
If Hornby make a model of 60103 'Flying Scotsman', they show in the catalogue that the name is owned by a certain group - I can't remember which, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't just the NRM - it's likely that some of the money Hornby makes from that model will go towards paying for the license to use that name. This money is, at least in part, likely to go towards the upkeep of the engine or other costs surrounding it.

I think it’s untrue to suggest that donating some of the profits from a wagon which already costs the best part of £20 is 'the thing at the moment'. Companies across the country and throughout the world have produced products related to the LGBTQ+ Community and have donated some of the proceeds to charities so that they are actually having a positive impact on the world. The amount of money Hornby raised from their 66731 model last year was brilliant and such an act could easily be replicated again. It's not a lot to ask, especially considering we know Hornby are hardly still in a poor financial state.

-Peter
Peter

Perhaps Hornby need to have a distinct 'charity' range, where the theme supports a charity, then buyers can be clear its a model that supports cause X.

I'm sure that those models would sell well for a premium, I'd buy a model if it supported a charity that I support and pay that bit extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.