• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby 2024 range

Ted633

The cab does look a lot better on the new version. The Southern livery is a worry though, but hopefully it will be sorted for the final release.

Its just the light in the press release by the look of it. There are other photos on their socials that show the livery in better light and it looks fine. No Idea why they released that image in the first place though, because I though the same

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
The cab does look a lot better on the new version. The Southern livery is a worry though, but hopefully it will be sorted for the final release.

Oh lord, the Southern green looks awful and nothing like the real 3514. I hope this is just a colour calibration issue with the computer

Although the front corridor connection looks better, the cab windows and jumper recesses still don't look right

Does anyone know whether the internal corridors for the 1st class compartments of the new models will have windows and doors cut into it? I remember the first 4 Vep models had this corridor moulded solid !

Last edited:
Oh lord, the Southern green looks awful and nothing like the real 3514. I hope this is just a colour calibration issue with the computer

Although the front corridor connection looks better, the cab windows and jumper recesses still don't look right

Does anyone know whether the internal corridors for the 1st class compartments of the new models will have windows and doors cut into it? I remember the first 4 Vep models had this corridor moulded solid !

Seen both varients of the VEP at the Great Electric Train show. Attached is a picture from the show. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20231014_111648930.jpg
    IMG_20231014_111648930.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 80

Iskra

Established Member
What do people think is going to happen HST wise? I am really hoping for a GNER set.
I think a modern GNER one is due. I’d like one, but probably not at the price Hornby want to charge me, and it’s not a necessity. I wouldn’t mind Intercity Swallow, the non-buffered version, but again probably unlikely to buy one even though I’d only need the power cars for that one- other retailers are wiping the floor with Hornby in terms of value for money and I’ve got a lot on pre-order with such manufacturers.

fgwrich

Established Member
I think a modern GNER one is due. I’d like one, but probably not at the price Hornby want to charge me, and it’s not a necessity. I wouldn’t mind Intercity Swallow, the non-buffered version, but again probably unlikely to buy one even though I’d only need the power cars for that one- other retailers are wiping the floor with Hornby in terms of value for money and I’ve got a lot on pre-order with such manufacturers.
There's still a number of To-Do liveries Hornby has yet to produce on the new tooling, and now they've finally tooled up the MML Variant then that adds more possibilities! Off the top of my head, they are;

GWT Merlin
FGW Barbie - and it's many, many variants (though one early build + one late build PC would be appropriate)
MML Ocean Blue
GNER - White Logo

We could also see another re-run of MML Teal and Tangerine with the proper lights, Virgin hasn't been released in donkeys years, and there's one off power cars like 007, 008, 102, 159, 184, 274, 277 etc. Another batch of XC Power Cars may be likely though given the small number now running around with Colas.

On the much missed liveries front - the 153 is another model severely lacking in new liveries too, though given Hornby's recent attempts on both the 153 and HSTs, people may be giving some of the more complex liveried models a bit of a wide berth.

Duncan-231192

There's still a number of To-Do liveries Hornby has yet to produce on the new tooling, and now they've finally tooled up the MML Variant then that adds more possibilities! Off the top of my head, they are;

GWT Merlin
FGW Barbie - and it's many, many variants (though one early build + one late build PC would be appropriate)
MML Ocean Blue
GNER - White Logo

We could also see another re-run of MML Teal and Tangerine with the proper lights, Virgin hasn't been released in donkeys years, and there's one off power cars like 007, 008, 102, 159, 184, 274, 277 etc. Another batch of XC Power Cars may be likely though given the small number now running around with Colas.

On the much missed liveries front - the 153 is another model severely lacking in new liveries too, though given Hornby's recent attempts on both the 153 and HSTs, people may be giving some of the more complex liveried models a bit of a wide berth.
I would love a Merlin set, along with an early FGW Barbie with the while fronted PC's. It was my favourite FGW livery. I had the original Hornby version, but my nephew did something to it, and next thing I know there was smoke, flame, and the power car roof melted. He did for a lot of my trains back then. Though my granddad destroyed my limited addition Mallard. Forever the speed freak, granddad crashed her catastrophically into the skirting board and she never worked again. The body split, and the motion disintegrated. Nowadays, i'm a HST collector. I want the whole lot, every livery.

AM9

Veteran Member
I like the "F.I.T." livery of the sets exported to Mexico this year. As to whether Hornby will ever do it...
I doubt that the handful of collectors who would be prepared to pay the additional short run costs would make it even worth discussing.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I like the "F.I.T." livery of the sets exported to Mexico this year. As to whether Hornby will ever do it...
Mexico is underrepresented in North American model railroading too, so it's unlikely a company from across the pond will try to work with Hornby for a HO variant or create their own HST either. Pity, I think the colour scheme and vinyl dancers look quite attractive.

It would make for an interesting layout though. Running even shorter Castle sets (or should that be Castillo sets?) right next to EMD SD70Ms hauling ex-Amfleet cars and a 50s Budd dome car, and Stadler Citylink tram-trains.

Duncan-231192

Mexico is underrepresented in North American model railroading too, so it's unlikely a company from across the pond will try to work with Hornby for a HO variant or create their own HST either. Pity, I think the colour scheme and vinyl dancers look quite attractive.

It would make for an interesting layout though. Running even shorter Castle sets (or should that be Castillo sets?) right next to EMD SD70Ms hauling ex-Amfleet cars and a 50s Budd dome car, and Stadler
They wont do a Mexico HST. It would mean a full retool. The Mexico HST's have been fitted with Type E Janey coupling on their front ends protruding through the front lower valance where the emergency drawbar used to go. It looks like the power car is sticking its tongue out.

Ted633

They wont do a Mexico HST. It would mean a full retool. The Mexico HST's have been fitted with Type E Janey coupling on their front ends protruding through the front lower valance where the emergency drawbar used to go. It looks like the power car is sticking its tongue out.
Wouldn't put it past them doing a Railroad standard one. They've already done class 73/9 without any modifications to distinguish it from 'as-built' 73s

Iskra

Established Member
GNER HST is here :D

Some interesting new 08’s too :)

I am surprised they didn’t do one of the Network Rail 153’s though, as it would have been an easy one and could go on most layouts.

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Have one word to describe the Hornby 2024 announcement..

Underwhelming…..
It does appear lacking in "wow" factor, it might be a symptom of current financial belt-tightening - generally - by customers and suppliers alike.

One that caught my eye - B1 "Mayflower", wearing its current livery as seen on main line steam tours.

Ted633

Have one word to describe the Hornby 2024 announcement..

Underwhelming…..
It's not the only announcement this year though. Further announcements are expected midway through the year and in the Autumn. Looks like they are switching to the Bachmann style of announcements

12C

I agree with the above, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the announcement today. There were similar comments last year but Hornby acknowledged this and said it would be the ‘catch up year’, admitting it was lower key than usual. I think this is why a few people expected a bit more this year.

It’s not really surprising though, sadly I suspect all is not well in the world of Hornby. The share price has tanked recently, nearly 40% down since this time last year and has fallen further on the announcement today. Simon Kohler’s sudden departure was also a strange one following all the supposed positivity on the TV series and social media.

I think we’re just going to have to get used to the fact it’s tough times for the hobby (as reflected by the Hattons news) and the days of an exciting catalogue reveal with several new locos are over for now.

A0wen

On Moderation
I agree with the above, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the announcement today. There were similar comments last year but Hornby acknowledged this and said it would be the ‘catch up year’, admitting it was lower key than usual. I think this is why a few people expected a bit more this year.

It’s not really surprising though, sadly I suspect all is not well in the world of Hornby. The share price has tanked recently, nearly 40% down since this time last year and has fallen further on the announcement today. Simon Kohler’s sudden departure was also a strange one following all the supposed positivity on the TV series and social media.

I think we’re just going to have to get used to the fact it’s tough times for the hobby (as reflected by the Hattons news) and the days of an exciting catalogue reveal with several new locos are over for now.

Bit in bold - the announcement of Hornby's new product range will have precisely no bearing on the share price, it's not the sort of thing the city would be looking at.

The FTSE 100 opened the week at 7689 and closed yesterday evening at 7576, the FTSE 250 opened at 19210 and closed yesterday at 19107 and FTSE All share opened at 4196 on Monday and closed yesterday at 4140, so Hornby dropping over this week is in line with the wider market.

SteveM70

Established Member
Bit in bold - the announcement of Hornby's new product range will have precisely no bearing on the share price, it's not the sort of thing the city would be looking at.

The FTSE 100 opened the week at 7689 and closed yesterday evening at 7576, the FTSE 250 opened at 19210 and closed yesterday at 19107 and FTSE All share opened at 4196 on Monday and closed yesterday at 4140, so Hornby dropping over this week is in line with the wider market.

@12C pointed out Hornby's share price is down "nearly 40% since this time last year". For context, the FTSE is down 2.1% over the same period, so anything saying what's happened to Hornby is a reflection of the wider market just isn't true.

And the market will absolutely be interested in the range announcement, even if only indirectly via information from others more expert. The price of a share is fundamentally a reflection of the future value and profitability of a company, and an announcement of what is (or isn't) going to drive future revenues is a basic component of that

A0wen

On Moderation
@12C pointed out Hornby's share price is down "nearly 40% since this time last year". For context, the FTSE is down 2.1% over the same period, so anything saying what's happened to Hornby is a reflection of the wider market just isn't true.

And the market will absolutely be interested in the range announcement, even if only indirectly via information from others more expert. The price of a share is fundamentally a reflection of the future value and profitability of a company, and an announcement of what is (or isn't) going to drive future revenues is a basic component of that

The point I made stands - a product range announcement from Hornby won't directly affect its share price on the day or even week such an annoucement is made.

The City will be looking at the overall financial indicators set against costs of things like raw materials, fuel, wages, inflation etc etc etc They won't be looking at it and saying "ooh a GNER HST, 3 rivet counters on Railforums have said they're delighted, but 10 have posted that the ranges being announced are underwhelming, so we'd better mark them down". At that level of detail the city will neither know nor care about the products which are being released.

A far bigger issue for Hornby are their overheads, which is what increased last year and helped to push them into a loss - things like salaries, fuel costs, energy costs and whether there's a strategy which will address those. The city will also be looking at the results of companies such as the retailers - and if you looked at Sainsbury's update for example, their food sales were up, but their non-food, so Argos and clothing were flat or slightly down. Now Argos is a stockist, albeit limited, of Hornby's products - so for the Argos element of Sainsbury's results to be down, will filter through to Hornby's share price as it will be taken as a guide to the health of the non-food retail sector.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the 2024 Hornby catalogue out yet?
Answering my own question, yes, they are now widely available (quite a few WH Smith outlets now have them, and they're priced at £10.99, the same as last year, although the catalogue itself is some 56 pages thinner).

DJ_K666

As a former Southern man, I still think the BR all steel 4 Sub merits a model, and with minimal(ish) tooling changes (driving cars) the (SR pattern) 4 EPB could also come out of that, even if only in their 'basic' range perhaps? Suspect many modellers on a budget would be happy with a model that just represents the basics of what they remember, ie; cab front (driving car) appearance etc., not that I know anything about model making tooling you understand !
I asked Simon Kohler about the 4 sub in Hornby's possession a year ago, while he was still at Hornby and he said never say never, although it's in a bit of a state.

Have you seen the work of the late, great Colin Parks? He was a fantastic modeller and scratchbuilt a Sub just from plasticard, as well as a pair of Bulleid designed 2 HAPs and modifying (ie correcting) a Hornby 2 BIL.